Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default ? on Royal's website for 2007 cruises

I just went over there looking at some of the Caribbean cruises for 2007.

What do they mean when they say, "M" cruise or "L" cruise. Some of them have letters in the title of the cruise.

BTW....anyone notice inside cabin prices of $699 for Freedom? Woohoo!
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Cassandar,

Regarding your title, this is the Royal Caribbean International site -- not hte Royal Cruise Line site.

Norm.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Norm,

RCI does not exist anymore. It was merged into NCL last year.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Roland,

RCI does not exist anymore. It was merged into NCL last year.

Something here doesn't jive.

Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is one of two cruise lines owned and operated by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL). The other is Celebrity Cruises. Unfortunately, the similarity of the name of the holding company and the name of the cruise line do cause some confusion.

In any case, "Royal" is not an appropriate shorthand for Royal Caribbean International.

Norm.
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL) is listed in Oslo and NY stock exchange as RCL. The company owns and operates Royal Caribbean International (RCI) and Celebrity Cruises (CEL).
It´s as simple as that.
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Alrighttttttttyyyyyyyy then........on RCCL'S website then.....but my question still isn't answered.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Captain

Seems to denote the distinction in the itinerary as in R= Roatan.
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Roland,

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL) is listed in Oslo and NY stock exchange as RCL. The company owns and operates Royal Caribbean International (RCI) and Celebrity Cruises (CEL).
It´s as simple as that.

Yes, that's substantially what I said in my previous post, except for the "CEL" abbreivation for Celebrity Cruises. I'm not sure where you are getting that, unless it's from some cruise booking computer system. The RCI abbreviation is pretty widespread in the cruise literature, but CEL is not.

In any case, your previous post said that NCL (Norwegian Cruise Line) had bought RCI (Royal Caribbean Internatoinal). That obviously did not happen.

Norm.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Cassandra,

Alrighttttttttyyyyyyyy then........on RCCL'S website then.....but my question still isn't answered

I did not answer your question because did not know from whence your question was coming -- and I'm still not sure what you are really trying to ask. RCCL's web site (http://www.rclinvestor.com) does not list cruise bookings for either of the company's lines. This reminds me of people who ask, "Do you know what time it is?" when they want to find out the current time. The correct answer to that question is a simple "yes" or "no" depending upon whether one happens to know the time at that particular moment!

I'm hazarding a wild guess that you might really be referring to cruise listings on the Royal Caribbean International, or RCI, web site (http://www.royalcaribbean.com. If so, the letters in the titles of some cruises appear to distinguish between different itineraries in the same part of the Caribbean (Eastern, Western, or Southern). Other cruise lines might use more creative names (for example, "Classic Southern Caribbean," "Grand Southern Caribbean," "Southern Caribbean Explorer," "Southern Caribbean Adventurer," "Southern Caribbean Voyager," etc.) for the same purpose.

If specific ports of call are a factor in your selection of a particular in your selection of a particular itinerary, be sure to check the specific itinerary on which you are booking. There's no standardization so two completely different itineraries may have the same name, even on the same cruise line.

Norm.
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Roland,

In any case, your previous post said that NCL (Norwegian Cruise Line) had bought RCI (Royal Caribbean Internatoinal). That obviously did not happen.

Norm.
Sorry Norm, A slip of the finger from my side. Should of course be RCL was merged into NCL.
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Cassandra - exactly what are you looking at? I was just surfing over on RCCL's web site and i can't find what you are seeing. Are you looking at the cruise calendar or a particular cruise?
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Admiral

LisaK,

I was just surfing over on RCCL's web site and i can't find what you are seeing. Are you looking at the cruise calendar or a particular cruise?

Look, for example, around the middle of the listing of cruises at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...ager.offset=30 (which is the fourth page of listings if you just select "Carbbean" as the destination and do a search on Royal Caribbean's home page). You'll find cruises with titles like "7 Night Southern Caribbean "B" Cruise" or 7 Night Western Caribbean "M" Cruise" that seem to be the subject of the question.

Norm.
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Roland,

Should of course be RCL was merged into NCL.

Okay, I somehow missed that one in spite of tracking this industry pretty closely. Nonetheless, "Royal" still is not an appropriate shorthand for Royal Caribbean International because there are still other cruise lines with "Royal" in their names, like Royal Olympic Cruises, leaving it ambiguous.

Norm.
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Admiral

Royal is not a shorthand for RCI, but since it was posted on this forum one could assume what the poster meant anyway
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Passenger

Norm, since this is the Royal Caribbean board, it seemed pretty self-explanatory.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Beginner

Default Coded letters in names of cruises

If you carefully compare the cruise itineraries, you will see that they go to different ports. The "R" is for Roatan, the "M" is for Montego Bay, etc.
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Admiral

CathyCanada,

Norm, since this is the Royal Caribbean board, it seemed pretty self-explanatory.

Given the number of (1) posts that inadvertently get posted on the wrong board and (2) posts that discuss competirors, I do not assume anything.

Norm.
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Admiral

Norm,

Given (A) that Royal Cruise Line is no longer in business and (B) that Royal Olympia has not yet published 2007 itineraries, most of us would assume Royal is RCI