Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Passenger

Default Port of Call changes affecting airfare booked independently?

Hi, I'm cruising on Sept. 4 thru Sept. 8 2006 and are kinda on edge about a hurricane developing before or during my trip. If u book airfare independently and there is a hurricane affecting u getting to a particular Port in FL, are you able to change ur airfare at no charge if your Port of Call changes? I don't want to have to pay extra or miss a flight because the cruise changed the Port where the ship would leave from. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.[/b]

RCCL Majesty of the Seas 9/06
CCL Imagination 8/05
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Admiral

We cruised the week before Frances hit Florida. The ship could not return to Cape Canaveral port. We docked in Miami 2 days late and some people still chose to fly out of Orlando. We opted to fly out of Miami but stayed over another night letting those who really had to go home leave first. All the airlines let everyone change ONCE without an additional charge because of the situation. We also had travel insurance which I highly recommend, especially when cruising during hurricane season. They paid for our meals and hotel stay within 3 weeks of filing a claim. I also recommend getting to the port a day early and spend the night in a hotel. If there is a hurricane on the horizon, get to the port early. Ships have been known to leave an hour or two early because of hurricane situations.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

This happened to us due to Hurricane Katrina. We couldn't get back to Tampa. The cruise ended up docking in Ft. Lauderdale and they bussed everyone back to Tampa. I just changed my air (at no charge) to go out of Ft. Lauderdale instead.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Admiral

most airlines will let you make one change due to weather at no additional charge. Definately get trip insurance- get trip cancellation, trip interruption, baggage, and medical evacuation(it costs$$$$ out of pocket if you need this coverage and don't have it)
Definatley fly in a day early, and if you can fly out a day later at the end of your cruise. Doing this provides a nice "cushion" of time if something should happen.
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Yep, I agree with the above posters - DEFINATELY fly out a day earlier & book a hotel overnight. Also, if you are booking your airline tickets independent from the cruise line, give them a call & express your concerns. Believe me, they are more familiar with that type of situation than anyone. And get the insurance also. The extra cost might be a headache, but it's well worth it if you have to go up against mother nature.

Even though you'll read on here, magazines, etc. about the "low" probability of a hurricane not affecting you - don't believe it.

Everyone knows what happened last year. And if you follow the amount of hurricanes that have developed in the Caribbean from the last just 5 years - they are on the rise. Week after week last year the Caribbean was affected & the cruise lines took a brutal hit with moving ships around, cancelling port calls, etc.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Passenger

Thank you everyone for your replies. I definitely have enough information now. I think I will be looking to stay a day earlier and getting trip insurance. I hadn't even thought of that before. Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Admiral

madea20,

Hi, I'm cruising on Sept. 4 thru Sept. 8 2006 and are kinda on edge about a hurricane developing before or during my trip. If u book airfare independently and there is a hurricane affecting u getting to a particular Port in FL, are you able to change ur airfare at no charge if your Port of Call changes? I don't want to have to pay extra or miss a flight because the cruise changed the Port where the ship would leave from. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

It depends what kind of ticket you buy.

>> If you buy an unrestricted (fully refundable) ticket, you can change your flights at will with no additional charge.

>> If you buy a restricted (non-refundable) ticket, the ailines normally require you to pay a "change fee" of $25.00 plus any difference in fare.

When hurricanes or major storms force airlines to cancel flights in advance, though, the major airlines routinely make exceptions to the latter policy. They usually allow passengers to make one change, either of the flights on the affected dates or of the whole itinerary, without charge.

Norm.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Passenger

Thanks a lot Norm.