Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Linda A
Default How is the Explorer???

Hi guys,

We are narrowing down our family cruise and the week we can all go is in January 07. The vote is to do an Eastern cruise and it looks like the Explorer would be the easiest port to get to. Only one other ship is doing a 7 night Eastern that week. My concern is how is she looking?? She is an older ship. Anyone been on her recently who can give me details.

Thanks
Linda A
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We were just on her from 4/23 to 4/30 and had a fantastic time. We loved the ship, the staff, and the ports. We were on the western tour and it was our first cruise, but there was 40+ in our party and many many experienced cruisers and on many cruiselines that really loved this ship.
We like the fact that she will be up in NJ as it is not far for us to drive to enlight of the rising airfare and gas costs to drive. We have booked again for 12/10 on the explorer for the eastern tour but still out of Miami. The cruise planner on ship told us that she was moving to Bayonne next year for most of the year. We had a balcony aft cabin 9374 and it was great. We did second seating dinner on third floor dining room and Petersen from India was the best waiter! We made a point of making breakfast or lunch in the dining room when he was on duty. We had several other waiters for breakfast when our waiter was not on duty that were good but not the same level. So we are spoiled!

We can't wait to go again. We are Las Vegas addicts and after this cruise, wow, we just fell in love!
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Linda A
Default explorer

Wow,

It sounds like you had a blast. Really great to know you will be going on it again. That says alot. We went on the Radiance twice and Loved her. She is doing an 8 night that week and with school schedules for the kiddies it will not work as well.

Thanks for your input.

Linda
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:49 AM
First Mate

I've cruised her in 2004 & 2005 - loved her! GREAT staff, fun ship and can't imagine any better in the voyager class.

mary

Old May 10th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Passenger

I absolutely adore the Explorer. The hubby and I went on the Explorer in 2004 and ended up going on it again last year!

The ship is just gorgeous and is in excellent shape. It's huge, but it doesn't feel overwhelming at all.

The pools are great, good restaurants, etc. This is an excellent choice!
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Beginner

We were on this March and had an amazing time. Everything looked in good shape and the crew was fantastic. We can't wait to go back on another cruise.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Passenger

We were on her in March 2005 and she was in great shape. The staff was wonderful and the ports were awesome. I would have no trouble booking another cruise on her now.
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Beginner

Just got off Explorer of the Seas on May 7, 2006. I flet the ship was great in appearance. All of the wait staff on board was great, along with the taste and quality of food. I found the room to be sufficient for the amount of time you spend in them. My biggest disppointment was the entertainment. We traveled with two other couples all in the 45 - 52 yr old range. We found outselves not really having anything to do late night. Poolside entertainment was practically non-existent. On our last full day at sea the band played occasionally, and the only thing sponsored by the Cruise Director Staff was a Men's Sexy Leg Contest, which was funny, but only lasted about 20 minutes. We were at first setting for dinner and found the "Broadway" show to be boring. Our most enjoyable evenings were usually spent at a Karoke Bar. being entertained by other passangers.

P.S. Was on a Carnival Curise in December 2005 and never felt like I was in the need to search out something to do.