Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Passenger

Default Trip insurance?

I see the value in getting medical insurance, but I'm not sure about trip cancellation/interruption. Are cruises different? What are the advantages to getting the insurance?

Thanks for the information,
Jackie
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Here is a good article on travel insurance http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/.../insurance.cfm

I, personally, do not travel without it.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Admiral

Jackie,

I see the value in getting medical insurance, but I'm not sure about trip cancellation/interruption. Are cruises different? What are the advantages to getting the insurance?

Basically, insurance is a bet that some misfortune will happen. If it does happen, the insurance company reimburses the damages, or pays for medical care, or whatever. If it does not happen, the insurance company pockets the premium as profit.

Remember that an insurance company must (1) pay commissions to its agents on sales of its policies, (2) pay the clerks, adjusters, appraisers, etc. who process policies and claims, and (3) pay the amount of claims back to the policy holder -- all out of the premiums that it collects from its policy holders. Thus, insurance is generally a "losing" game for the policy holder -- meaning that the expected return in settled claims is less than the amount paid in premiums to purchase policies.

Alas, there are certain losses that most of us would not be able to withstand on our own -- major surgery or catastrophic illness, destruction of our homes by fires, floods, etc. We all need to have sufficient insurance to cover such situations that we cannot afford to cover out of pocket. Nonetheless, it is not prudent to buy insurance for services that w can afford such as optical (vision) and dental care.

>> Trip interruption and cancellation insurance is an absolute waste of money unless there's an ill relative whose imminent death is likely to force cancellation or interruption of trip, or some similar set of circumstances. You will spend more on the insuance than on fares for cancelled cruises over the long term in the absence of a situation that makes cancellation more likely than normal.

>> Most people who are still in the workforce do not need special medical insurance because regular medical insurance will cover medical emergencies while on vacation, even if out of the United States -- but be sure to verify this in your policy. People who are on medicare should consider this coverage, as my understanding is that medicare covers only services rendered here in the States.

>> Medical evacuation insurance is essential for those who cannot afford the cost of a medical evacuation ("MedEvac") flight.

Buy what you need and shun the reest.

Norm.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Admiral

We always buy trip cancellation, trip interruption, baggage, and medical evac insurance. The policies are fairly cheap. I don't want to loose the price of my cruise, airfare, hotel or have to buy a whole new wardrobe for 3 people for a week out of pocket, and evac from the ship for a medical emergency is very, very expensive.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM
First Mate

All you need is for the miscreants at the airlines to loose your luggage to see the value in the insurance. We Flew from NY to Seattle last September for a 30th Anniversary cruise, ALL of our luggage flew to God knows where. It was clear from their response to our questions that the airline certainly had no idea where it had flown to, or if it had even flown at all. So here we were all the way across the country with nothing but the clothes on our backs, (we now pack at least a couple of outfits each in our carry on) wondering if we will be sailing the next day or flying home. We called the cruise line and were told not to worry, we had the "Cruise Care" insurance and if the luggage did not arrive in time we would be reimbursed for expenses to replace clothing. Fortunately, the luggage arrived from it's journey to the unknown just in time for us to sail, but the knowledge that the loss wouldn't completely ruin our Anniversary cruise was comforting. Is insurance a gamble? Sure, but in view of the track record of the airlines, it not long odds.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Passenger

My tip would be that if you do decide to get the insurance (we never cruise without it) don't get it from your TA. You can go directly to the insurance web site and save a lot of money. For a friend of mine it saved her almost $200.00 for their family of four........so I would check into it before you buy from anywhere! Good luck and have a great cruise!!

Lori
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM
First Mate

Go with the insurance ! I have needed it twice and both times were not major events, but the cost would have been thousands. Just today I mailed off the claim for our cruise three weeks ago. My wife tripped on the sidewalk at SFO while we were picking up our car to drive home. The cost for one sticth in her lip, $1010.42. My other event was an ear infection on a cruise. four trips to the ships doctor and advice from him not to fly home. That ended up being $700 to the ship doctor, canceled flight, rental car for a 700mile drive, motel to rest one night, etc. etc. It ended up over $2000. Also, Insurance companies consider the ship a foriegn country. You are probably not covered by your private insurance ! It is possible, but not probable. My insurance is BlueCross and I know for a fact they will not cover you on a ship. I usually use CSA, book over the net.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

We always get it. The cost is small compared to our peace of mind.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Admiral

We've always bought trip insurance and have used it twice. Once I got sick the day we sailed and had to go to doctor (hours before we sailed!) and then once on board ship.

You might never use it, but if you ever do...you'll be glad you had it.
We sure are, and now we won't think of traveling/sailing without it.
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Passenger

As a TA, we ALWAYS strongly recommend travel insurance and always purchase it ourselves. As others have said so much can happen and why risk the investment you have made in a great vacation? I recommend that you don't purchase it until final payment unless you have a pre-existing condition. And there are definitely less expensive options out there than what the cruise lines offer and sometimes with better coverage.

Hope that helps, Jackie and have a great time!
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyCanada
As a TA, we ALWAYS strongly recommend travel insurance and always purchase it ourselves. As others have said so much can happen and why risk the investment you have made in a great vacation? I recommend that you don't purchase it until final payment unless you have a pre-existing condition. And there are definitely less expensive options out there than what the cruise lines offer and sometimes with better coverage.

Hope that helps, Jackie and have a great time!
I disagree with the recommendation of not purchasing it until final payment. If you purchase insurance within 14 days of booking you are covered for almost anything that may come up between then and final payment. If you cancel your trip prior to the penalty phase your insurance premium is refunded in full (the insurance company is not liable for anything until then). I know this for a fact since I had to cancel two future trips outside the penalty phase and received all monies depositied including insurance.

I have also had to cancel a trip 2 days before sailing because my son got sick and was contagious. My wife has used the ships doctor for a sinus infection that started the first day of the cruise and as it has been pointed out before, most insurance companies will not cover it (or they apply it to your deductible). We submitted the claim and received full reimbursement (more than what the premiums were). Well worth the cost for piece of mind.

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Passenger

Quote:
I disagree with the recommendation of not purchasing it until final payment. If you purchase insurance within 14 days of booking you are covered for almost anything that may come up between then and final payment. If you cancel your trip prior to the penalty phase your insurance premium is refunded in full (the insurance company is not liable for anything until then). I know this for a fact since I had to cancel two future trips outside the penalty phase and received all monies depositied including insurance.

I have also had to cancel a trip 2 days before sailing because my son got sick and was contagious. My wife has used the ships doctor for a sinus infection that started the first day of the cruise and as it has been pointed out before, most insurance companies will not cover it (or they apply it to your deductible). We submitted the claim and received full reimbursement (more than what the premiums were). Well worth the cost for piece of mind.
Hi Mike,
It is a good idea to check with whomever you book with to check their cancellation policy first because as long as you cancel prior to final payment, the deposit usually is fully refundable anyway. IF you have a pre-existing condition, then insurance must be purchased within a certain amount of time after booking (at least with CSA who we use) but other than that, you can still purchase just prior to final payment without any problems.

Sorry to hear that you have had to make use of it, but as you said, it is definitely worth the cost for the peace of mind!
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Captain

Don't bite my head off folks but I usually chime in with a "NO" about the "always" part of this discussion. Of the 3 cruises I booked this year only one is insured. Why? It is a roundtrip Rome cruise. One is local roundtrip to Hawaii so no air and our own medical inurance is valid the entire time. The other is local port up the Pacific Coast so we do fly back from Vancouver. On most trips we just consider ourselves "self insured." We have saved thousands of dollars by not insuring over two dozen trips. Granted, our way isn't for everyone but I don't think "always" buying the insurance is either. Just my 2 pennies, Robbies
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie H
Don't bite my head off folks but I usually chime in with a "NO" about the "always" part of this discussion. Of the 3 cruises I booked this year only one is insured. Why? It is a roundtrip Rome cruise. One is local roundtrip to Hawaii so no air and our own medical inurance is valid the entire time. The other is local port up the Pacific Coast so we do fly back from Vancouver. On most trips we just consider ourselves "self insured." We have saved thousands of dollars by not insuring over two dozen trips. Granted, our way isn't for everyone but I don't think "always" buying the insurance is either. Just my 2 pennies, Robbies
Robbie,

You are correct by saying you consider yoursef "self-insured". In this case no need to purchase insurance. However, if someone chooses this method then don't complain about losing thousands of dollars when a few hundred would have provided the protection (normally that is the compaint, "I didn't think something would happen, etc).

Cathy,

Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say. My point was if there any pre-existing conditions it's better to purchase the insurance upfront rather than waiting until final payment. If that isn't an issue then you can certainly wait until then.

Mike

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Passenger

I need to read my post before I hit reply, I'm backwards about CSA. It is one of the few companies that you do NOT have to buy it within 14-21 days of booking if you have a pre-existing condition. You CAN book it at final payment even with pre-existing conditions. Sorry about the confusion.

Like I said before, I consider a cruise an investment of how I choose to spend my leisure time and if I am paying a lot of money, I don't want to lose it because of having something unforeseen, happen. Just my personal choice.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Admiral

We have CSAA and their policy is: if you have ANY pre-existing conditions and you want them covered, you have 14 days from the day of your cruise deposit to purchase the insurance.
As I mentioned before, we used it twice...and it was worth it's price.

If you have a lot of money invested in your cruise vacation...and let's say you or a close family member suddenly becomes ill and you have to cancel, or a family member dies(heaven forbid)...you could be out a lot of money. And lets face it...the older we get the more likely that can happen. That's why it's called insurance...just in case something should happen.

On our last cruise on HAL...a woman was getting into the tender, slipped and broke her leg (hip?) and had to be rushed to a local hospital $$$$$
Another lady (same cruise) tripped getting out of the elevator...had to go to the local hospital for x-rays, etc. $$$$ Stuff happens!

My parents are very elderly (near 90's)...and we always worry just a little about being gone to long, if something should happen and we need to fly back quickly, etc. Our trip insurance wlll cover that. We hope we never need it...but it's good to know we're covered if we do.

We don't want to be 'penny wise, but dollar stupid'. Now don't flame me guys...this is just how WE feel !
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Passenger

While that may be true with some policies, it is NOT the case for all. The CSA Comfort Plan covers pre-existing medical conditions as long as it purchased within 24 hours of final payment. For that reason, that is the policy I recommend to folks with pre-existing conditions.

There is just NO need to purchase insurance until you have a potential financial loss to insure. Up until final payment, deposits are refundable, so there is no potential loss. After that point is when you need insurance.

From the CSA website....
Any travel insurance plan will cover your clients. Only the new CSA Comfort Plan covers them so well at such an attractive price. It even offers Pre-Existing Condition / Supplier Default coverage available up to final trip payment. It's simply better travel insurance; unprecedented value, benefits and coverage
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Admiral

What about non-refundable air tickets? Or non-refundable hotels? Or non-refundable train tickets. Or .....

You get the point. The crusie might be the cheapest thing in the bag. If these other items are not covered, then it is useless to me since I have already incurred a significant expense.

Our next cruise/vacation is going to come out at about $18,000. The cruse is $7,000.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Admiral

There is just NO need to purchase insurance until you have a potential financial loss to insure. Up until final payment, deposits are refundable, so there is no potential loss. After that point is when you need insurance.

Yes...but what if you have to cancel BEFORE your cruise and you are in the penalty phase, without insurance you will lose your deposit, Right?
Final payments are due 90 days before you sail...a lot can happen in 90 days.

Ok...I'll admit it, I am a worrier...and a type 'A' personality, but we just feel better knowing we're covered if something happens on either side of the cruise.
Old May 14th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Passenger

Fieldmouse,
RIGHT, that's exactly what I am saying. Once you reach final payment, whenever that time is, you definitely DO need insurance, because at that point you have a potential financial loss to cover. That's when the "penalty phase" kicks in. Prior to final payment time, there is no penalty for cancelling unless your TA (if you use one) has a cancellation fee. AFTER final payment you will be penalized for cancelling unless you have insurance that covers your reasoning for cancelling.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Passenger

Do any of you take out the insurance directly through Royal Caribbean? Is this sufficient? This is all my travel agency recommended.
Iberostar Quetzal - Mexico 11/06
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Passenger

Auggiemom,
our agency recommends CSA because more often than not, the coverage is better or equal to the cruise line's and for much less money.

Just my opinion.
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Auggiemom,

Do any of you take out the insurance directly through Royal Caribbean? Is this sufficient? This is all my travel agency recommended.

The insurance packages offered by the cruise line are very comprehensive. If anything, they might be mroe than you need.

Backing up a step, though, I NEVER buy insurance on a cruise. Insurance is a losing bet -- you'll pay more for insruance, over the long term, than you will ever receive in benefits. Further, anybody who cannot afford to lose the cost of a vacation package cannot afford the vacation in question in the first place. Of course, the odds may change in some situatons -- if you have a terminally ill relative at home whose death might interrupt or force cancellaiotn of your trip, for example.

That said, I do recommend verifying that wirhwe your regular medical insurance or the travel insurance provided by your credit card will cover (1) major medical care outside the United States and (2) medical evacuation, should either beocme necessary. Most medical insurance policies do travel with you, but you may have to pay the bill and submit a claim for reimbursement. Also, many "gold" and "platinum" credit cards provide travel insurance if you use them to pay for the trip.

Norm.
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Linda A
Default trip insurance

We have never had to file a claim but we have purchased CSA travel protection. I found it to be really cheap. They quote you a price based on your age group. I know I did not pay over $28.00 each for my children and did not pay over $54.00 each for my husband and myself. It covered EVERYTHING. At the time, the ship insurance was $100.00 per person and ONLY covered what happened while you were on the ship. The CSA covered basically from the moment you stepped out of your house until you returned. We booked our insurance the last time very close to the departure date. Within the same Month. I do not think I could get a drink card for my kids for that cheap and it is a lot cheaper than what I spend in the photo gallary or what we spend on Tips!!!

Check it out. I really do not think you are talking about tons of money for such a peace of mind.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Almost all group health coverage written in the U.S. excludes coverage outside of the U.S. That means no coverage in Mexico, the Caribbean, Europe, etc. As one person pointed out, a visit to the ship-board clinic costs about the same as the Mayo Clinic. Most foreign medical facilities won't even touch you unless the payment is guaranteed. (Enter Med-Ex, which is included in most Travel Insurance.)
If I "croak" on a cruise, I don't want my spouse have to worry about flying my body home. (It happens, folks.) If I am disabled on the cruise or an excursion, I sure as heck can't afford a medical evacuation back home...
I don't know if I am allowed to mention a website, but I usually do my comparison shoppong on www.insuremytrip.com.
JMHO

LL
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

We didn't buy it on our cruise although we really considered it, but I still would get it anyway.

As the saying goes, "It's not a matter of If, it's a matter of when".

Anything can happen, trip on the sidewalk on one of the islands & take a fall & break a wrist, slip on the steps & go tumbling down, hit by rough seas & tumble from the bed.

You should use the same attitude you have right now at your own jobs - you all work & I bet you all have medical insurance. Why? You don't use it everyday, right? But you still have it "just in case".

Same thing should apply to any cruise or trips outside of the United States.