CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   AFT Cabin Pros and Cons (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/313766-aft-cabin-pros-cons.html)

Auggiemom May 9th, 2006 03:54 PM

AFT Cabin Pros and Cons

I'm sure this has been hashed over in the past, however I can't seem to find anything....

Pros and Cons to AFT cabins. How do you know which way is forward? Looking at Mariner of the Seas cabins 1388 or 1390. Any input? Does anyone know if this is in the front of the ship or back? I'm not exactly what you would call the experienced cruiser. The last one we did, we did a port side midship balcony and liked it. If its all about the walk to the other side of the ship, no big deal for us. Wouldn't mind trying something different, but then again, its that bit of aprehension.

sal7202 May 9th, 2006 05:14 PM

Go to Royals website & click on Mariner of the Seas. Look at the deck plans. The pointy end is forward, then find the cabins you are interested in, you can tell if they are forward or aft by their relation to midships.

Fern May 9th, 2006 07:26 PM

Hi Auggiemom,

Quote:

Looking at Mariner of the Seas cabins 1388 or 1390.
The cabins you are looking at are aft.

sal7202 said:

Quote:

The pointy end is forward
Unfortunately, most of the online deck plans don't have a "pointy" end :) on each deck, so I can see how a new cruiser could be confused!

The top of the plan is forward, the bottom is aft. We've never been in an aft cabin, but many people love them! From reading other's posts, the only problem may be more vibration.

Like you, we've always been midship, and liked it very much. Hopefully, someone who's been in one of these cabins can help you more.

Have a wonderful cruise!

silver_cloud May 10th, 2006 01:59 PM

I much prefer an aft room. Your balcony is usually double the size of a regular stateroon on the side. I don't mind a little walk to my room - then I don't have to work out at the gym! LOL

I love being able to see the wake and the sunsets. Lovely!
Check out our aft balcony on Freedom of the seas!

http://image42.webshots.com/42/5/38/...1jftUja_ph.jpg

Bobster May 24th, 2006 11:26 AM

We had an aft cabin last year on Grandeur and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were on deck 8. The balcony was huge! We are going on Grandeur again this September and have booked another aft junior suite, 2 doors down from where we were last year. We did not notice vibrations any different than when we had port balcony suite.

Harry Martin May 25th, 2006 01:56 AM

Aft cabins are great -- bigger balconies, the sound of the wake, etc. Worst thing I can say is more vibration when they use the thrusters (when pulling out of port) but otherwise it's great

Harry

momx4 May 25th, 2006 05:07 PM

We just came back from sailing on her sister ship the Explorer of The Seas. We had an aft (back) cabin #7388 to be exact and we loved it.
We had 2 adults and a 10 yrd old in the room and it was ok.
The room is small no way around that one, but the deck it HUGH!!!!
(we had 3 lounge chairs and a set of table & chairs with tons of room left)
and we paid the reg. price of an E2 category! Its a 2 part wrap around deck, meaning you get aft view and a side view as well.

Please go to this website: www.webshots.com
click on the community folder and type in "Bonnie Voyager".
From there you will pull up a whole bunch of photo a fellow shipmate has taken. Check out her file on the Explorer and the Mariner.

These photos were a big help to us and we are so glad she took the time to post them, otherwise we would have had just a reg. old deck.
Hope this helps... aft was a great and we are going again on the Mariner, and you guessed it, we booked the same eact room!

Auggiemom May 26th, 2006 08:06 AM

So, seeing they are sister ships do you suppose the deck would be the same on the Mariner. I know that's probably a dumb question. Also, we are currently on deck 8, my guess is that cabin on the 8th deck would be the same as well. I am really thinking about calling our TA and seeing if that cabin is open and changing....anyone know if that would be a problem, changing cabins after the reservation is already made? We are not going until December of 2007, so we have plenty of time.

silver_cloud May 26th, 2006 09:46 AM

Bonnie - great pictures! You're sweet to share them and very pretty, too!
You go girl! :-P

Bonnie Voyager May 27th, 2006 11:38 AM

It's always nice to hear that folks are still finding my aft gallery helpful! I created it after I myself had an awful time deciding about an aft cabin on the Voyager-class ships. I have always preferred the rear-facing balconies but was afraid of the Voyager-class design due to that unusual structure at the back of the ship. I threw caution to the wind and sailed in 1688 and have been in love with it ever since! :D

Ron4 May 28th, 2006 07:29 PM

Here's an idea of the size of a category D1 aft balcony on Jewel:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Ron4/Ron4/jewel_d1-2.jpg

crisndeefromde May 28th, 2006 09:28 PM

thanks for this topic

We chose 7388 for our cruise this Dec on the Explorer based on Bonnie's pictures. If it hadn't been for this topic, as we are newbies to cruising, I would have never thought someone would have a selection of these aft cabins to view. Thank you to all for the pictures and for asking questions that we had not! We are excited about this cabin.

momx4 May 29th, 2006 09:29 AM

You made a good choice with cabin #7388. We really enjoy the big deck and getting a side view and an aft view was nice. It was also knida neat going into the ports as weel, because the ship usually backs into port and you end up with front row seats.

I believe that all the voyager class ships are built the same. So it's a sure bet with that cabin.[/img]

Robbie H May 29th, 2006 04:08 PM

I really appreciated the link to Bonnie's pics too! I am an aft cabin fan BUT haven't had one on "Voyager" class yet. JUST booked 1694 on the "Navigator" for the transatlantic in April '07 though and boy did those pics help affirm what a great choice we made. Wife had even asked about how much of the balcony was exposed to view, and there was a pic looking down onto a deck ten balcony!!

Our aft choices have been on "Radiance" class ships which do have the deeper balconies and great views but there ARE some "cons" too; noisy crew door next to 9256, noisy chairs scraping above the deck ten aft cabins if/when the "Windjammer" fantail area is in use (warm weather trips) plus we avoid deck seven aft due to the club underneath which has speakers on/near the ceiling (a.k.a. your cabin's floor).

Auggiemom June 8th, 2006 04:16 PM

Do you think then 8390 would also have both the front and side view like the room below? We are thinking about switching now. We currently have 8320 (on the hump) reserved, but the whole idea of having a lounge chair to sit on our balcony instead of regular chairs intrigues me, as well as my Mom and a friend are coming, and it sounds like we would all be able to sit comfortable.

Thanks for everyone imput, it has been so helpful.

Robbie H June 9th, 2006 11:01 AM

I just did a huge amount of research on aft cabins of the Voyager family of ships and I am guessing you would be happier staying on the hump. 8390 is surrounded by the metal structure of the ship (lots of shots of the stern area on "webshots"). If you want a "hideaway", then 8390 is it but if you want sun and more viewing, you are in a great location.

I just traded and aft for the hump on the "Navigator" but it was to get out of a cabin with an adjoining door (plus I upgraded to an "O/S" so we are ecstatic). I still hated giving up that aft cabin so I moved my "Radiance" booking in Sept. to an aft cabin. When you gotta have a fix, you gotta have it!

Cruise Junkie, Robbie

Lightsluvr June 10th, 2006 09:23 AM

Great pictures, Bonnie.

Anyone comment on the "rise and fall" of the stern (and bow) in moderate seas? Do you feel it more than midships? Or is it just not that noticeable?

LL

Robbie H June 10th, 2006 11:55 AM

It's like a see-saw and you will feel the motion more than being in the middle of the ship. In rough seas it can be a lot of fun and in moderate seas it is not always noticable. Was in 1104 on "Radiance" last year with my Mom who has vertigo (and medication for it) and she LOVED the mild motion at night. So much so that we just downgraded from a port side "JS" to get a "D" facing aft (8172) on the "Radiance" to Hawaii.

Hope that helps, Robbie

Debb August 28th, 2006 10:41 PM

Cabin 9256 on Radiance

Hi Robbie, We are contemplating cabin 9256 but are a little concerned about your comments re the noisy cabin crew next to it.... can you elaborate on this as we are keen to have a large balcony but also like peace and quiet! Also do you have any pictures?
We are finding it hard to actually choose a cabin to our liking, are we able to book via the internet and have cabin choice or do travel agencies have more options?
Thanks a lot,
Deb

Robbie H August 29th, 2006 12:14 PM

Hi Deb, almost missed that this post still had life!

Next to 9256 is a "crew only" door which is to a stairwell they use (not a cabin). It was a minor inconvenience that they kept letting it slam shut but they work so hard, we never complained. If you are not in the room much you might never hear it but wife likes to spend a lot of "quiet time" in the room during the day.

And yes my T/A always has more access to all of the availablity of cabins than I do. Main advice would be not to hesitate though if you find any aft cabin you might want. I cruise so often my T/A doesn't charge administrative fees for changes but some do so.

Feel free to e-mail if I can be af any more help, Robbie

LizC September 1st, 2006 08:57 PM

Aft -everytime

Once you go aft you never go back!!!

cruisegal3 January 3rd, 2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie Voyager
It's always nice to hear that folks are still finding my aft gallery helpful! I created it after I myself had an awful time deciding about an aft cabin on the Voyager-class ships. I have always preferred the rear-facing balconies but was afraid of the Voyager-class design due to that unusual structure at the back of the ship. I threw caution to the wind and sailed in 1688 and have been in love with it ever since! :D

Hello, Bonnie--

Your photos have been so helpful to me and so many others--thank you!

I am a Diamond C&A but this will be my first sailing on the Explorer and I want to make the correct AFT choice.

I am holding your cabin, 1688, and JS 1394 for a 2010 sailing. I want a JS, but from your pics, it really looks like 1688 has a better, more direct view of the water, with less of the infrastructure visible. True?

There is only a 200.00 difference in the price; the $$$ is no issue. I want the best possible balcony/view experience.

What do you suggest? I want to free up one of these cabins for another AFT-lover!

THANKS so much!!
Linda

cruisegal3 January 3rd, 2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie Voyager

Hello, Bonnie--

Your photos have been so helpful to me and so many others--thank you!

I am a Diamond C&A but this will be my first sailing on the Explorer and I want to make the correct AFT choice.

I am holding your cabin, 1688, and JS 1394 for a 2010 sailing. I want a JS, but from your pics, it really looks like 1688 has a better, more direct view of the water, with less of the infrastructure visible. True?

There is only a 200.00 difference in the price; the $$$ is no issue. I want the best possible balcony/view experience.

What do you suggest? I want to free up one of these cabins for another AFT-lover!

THANKS so much!!
Linda

Snoozeman January 3rd, 2009 05:07 PM

Bonnie is the aft expert. :) No doubt.

I have 7688 next Sunday on VOS and had 7388 last year. I actually believe the balconies (those aft wraps anyway) on the Rhapsody were a little larger than on the Voyager class. Still very nice.

EMG January 3rd, 2009 06:48 PM

I cruised an aft cabin on my first RCCL cruise on the Mariner. I was on deck 9.. Each morning we were awaken by the vibration and noise from the ship docking.

I didn't complain to anyone, but I can't say that I didn't notice because I did.

catty January 3rd, 2009 08:43 PM

Ever notice any soot coming from the smoke stack being in the back?

Snoozeman January 3rd, 2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catty
Ever notice any soot coming from the smoke stack being in the back?

rarely--sometimes some cig butts

ragtiki2005 January 4th, 2009 12:28 PM

We had some sort of black substance on our balcony chairs every morning. Spoke to the cabin steward and they were cleaned by the time we got back to our room later in the day. Believe it came from the smoke stack. Bob

Snoozeman January 4th, 2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
We had some sort of black substance on our balcony chairs every morning. Spoke to the cabin steward and they were cleaned by the time we got back to our room later in the day. Believe it came from the smoke stack. Bob

It varies from ship to ship and day to day. You have to consider: stack configuration, wind speed, wind direction, automatic sprinklers, etc.

I seem to notice more trash blow back than soot.

SAAdds1 January 4th, 2009 09:49 PM

We booked our first balcony cabin for our 25th wedding anniversay cruise in June 2009 on the Enchantment of the Seas. We booked an aft junior suite on deck 7 (only one available). We have always booked inside cabins, but thought we would "splurge" since this is a special cruise. I hope we enjoy the aft cabin.
I don't have a sense of smell, so if someone is smoking next to me, I won't notice, but my husband will. He is a former smoker, so I don't know if it will bother him. I like to spend the days sitting in a lounger, reading a book, so I will probably be out on the balcony a lot.