Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Beginner

Default First Time Cruiser Questions

My fiance and I are going on our first cruise ever at the end of this month to celebrate our college graduation and we have a couple of questions that we're hoping some of you might be able to answer for us. (Sorry for the long list, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!)

-Will we need our formal wear for the first night, and if so, should we carry it on ourselves?

-Does anyone know of a really great Cozumel excursion? We're leaning towards the mini-jeep outlander and snorkel excursion, but we can't make up our minds!

-We're not really interested in any of the Freeport excursions, are there any decent beaches near the port?

-And if we go on a snorkeling excursion and bring our digital cameras and any other belongings with us, how safe will they be while we're in the water?
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Cindi- not to worry we love helping newbies.
1. First night is always casual, some folks don't get their luggage in time for dinner. Its the first night of the first full at sea day that will be your first formal night. Your formalwear won't fit thru the scanner when you board the ship - they are the same size as the ones at the airport.

2. That excursion sounds like a blast - We go snorkeling by dive boat when we go to Cozumel, if that interests you - book a ships tour to the Palencaar Reef - amazing.

3. There really isn't a whole lot to do in Freeport. Your best bet would be to just head for Port Lucaya- hang out at the beach and do some shopping. If you or DF like to deep sea fish then you can get some really good excursions out of Freeport.

4. Get yourself a decent quality disposable underwater camera-we really like the Kodak one- to take pictures while snorkeling. Your items are safe on excursions, just tuck your camera/wallet into your beach bag under your towel while you are in the water. The excursion companies livelyhood depends upon the cruise ship industry,if word got out that so-and-so stole from their passengers, they would be out of business in a flash
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Beginner

My family and I absolutely love Chankanaab Park in Mexico. Beautiful and very safe. We were there last May. Not sure how it made it thru last summer's hurricanes though. The helmet dive was awesome there. We booked thru Royal Caribbean while onboard. Loved everything about the Park. Swimming with dolphins also and great snorkeling.
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Passenger

We've done the Fury Catamarran excursion twice and loved it both times! The beach you are brought to has floats, sea kayaks, hammocks, beach volleyball and of course the drinks are free on land as they are on the catamarran. Crew is awesome too!

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful first cruise, I bet it won't be your last!
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Beginner

Thank you so much for the advice, it was very helpful, my fiance and I are soo excited!!!
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

[size=`8]I usually pack my dinner clothes in a carry-on, sometimes you don't get your luggage before dinner. The first night is always a casual night, so they give you a little leway in the dress code.[/size]

Message Boards Moderator