Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Would you like to see "Suggested Dress Codes" gone?
I would prefer that there be NO suggested dining room dress codes 5 2.02%
I would prefer there be 2 Formal nights, and the remaining nights casual 56 22.58%
I would prefer all nights be casual, but no shorts allowed 40 16.13%
I would prefer the dress codes remain as they are, but be enforced 124 50.00%
I would prefer to dress as I please throughout the cruise 23 9.27%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2006, 01:59 AM
Admiral

big apple,

Was at a nice place for Sundaly brunch and there was mr. redneck with his baseball hat on shorts while most were in nice attire.This is their lifestyle and you are not going to change them on a cruise irregardlless of the rules.Their attitude is that they have paid the price of the cruise and that entitles them to dress as they so desire.

That's exactly why enforcement is absolutely necessary.

Norm.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
Passenger

I have been reading your comments with interest. I have taken several cruises on both RCCL and NCL. My next cruise is on NCL to Bermuda, which is a freestyle cruise. Jeans are still stated not-allowed. But, here is something I find weird, others may not, NCL cruises departing from a Texas port, jeans are allowed, "due to the culture". My opinion is that the cruiseline is not going to do anything that will lose them $$$$.

I do have to say that I have been cruising since 1999 and my parents have cruised since the eighties, and we all see a change in the dress on all the cruiselines. But then, the way things are done on cruises have changed also. Hey, I can remember when soda with your dinner was included.
Celebrating Parents 50th Anniversary
Old June 4th, 2006, 12:58 AM
First Mate

It does not surprise me that NCL woul allow jeans as they are having a very diffulcult time competing with the other main line cruise lines and yes if money is the main concern they will have any dress code be in vogue.Thank goodness Celebrity who also sails from Texas has not forgotten the dress code on their ships.
Old June 7th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Beginner

I have not been on a cruise yet so some of this is pure speculation on my part as a businessperson. It seems to me that certain cruise lines are sending mixed messages with their marketing plans. For example, RCI is positioning themselves as a family cruise line. Well, I don't know of too many families who want to buy their children formalwear so that they can enjoy a nice dinner with service. Not all people will want to dump their kids off on a babysitter.

I also think destination should play a part in the suggested dress code for a particular cruise. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that a lot of those going on an Alaskan cruise are going there to hike through the wilderness and/or see wildlife. I think two formal nights, a smart casual (whatever that means) night, and a "no jeans" policy on the other nights is a bit much for an Alaskan cruise.

I am going with my whole family on an Alaskan cruise on RCI soon and I frankly don't intend on buying a cocktail dress. I do have a lot of nice, expensive suits and dresses so it's not that I can't afford that attire. I actually work in a high-profile industry, but I actually don't have many occassions to wear that kind of clothing and don't feel like wasting my money on something I probably won't wear that often. Not everyone is "trailer trash" just because one chooses not to wear a cocktail dress or a tux. I can understand turning away someone who wanted to be seated in a tube top and Daisy Dukes on formal night. However, as long as people are dressed nicely as they would for church, I think they should be able to dine in the dining room and enjoy what they paid for instead of having to deal with overzealous people who have nothing better to do than worry about what other people are wearing. I don't think those of who think that you're in the majority on this issue should let your vacation be ruined because someone on formal night didn't dress to your specifications in the dining room or afterward at a show. As Joel Osteen says, "Don't let anyone steal your joy!" The bottom line is that cruises are supposed to be fun, not stressful. For everyone... Including trailer trash...
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Aubie,

I have not been on a cruise yet so some of this is pure speculation on my part as a businessperson. It seems to me that certain cruise lines are sending mixed messages with their marketing plans.

That's a very important point. Prescribing, but not enforcing, dress standards does send mixed a decidedly mixed message.

Well, I don't know of too many families who want to buy their children formalwear so that they can enjoy a nice dinner with service. Not all people will want to dump their kids off on a babysitter.

One need not buy tuxes for boys. Rentals are readily available. For girls, I recently saw very nice party dresses for less than $20 at Wal*Mart.

I think two formal nights, a smart casual (whatever that means) night, and a "no jeans" policy on the other nights is a bit much for an Alaskan cruise.

Formal evenings are very much part of the tradition of the great ocean liners, regardless of destination, so one would expect a traditional cruise line to retain them. OTOH, I have no problem with a contemporary cruise line doing otherwise.

Several cruise lines have introduced terms such as "smart casual" or "country club casual" to indicate that bluejeans, shorts, and "T" shirts are not appropriate. The cruise lines that use such designations apply them to ALL evenings that do not have a more formal standard of dress.

Most passengers who go out hiking or whatever during the day shower and change before dinner anyway, so putting on a pair of slacks or a skirt rather than a pair of jeans is really no strain.

I am going with my whole family on an Alaskan cruise on RCI soon and I frankly don't intend on buying a cocktail dress. I do have a lot of nice, expensive suits and dresses so it's not that I can't afford that attire. I actually work in a high-profile industry, but I actually don't have many occassions to wear that kind of clothing and don't feel like wasting my money on something I probably won't wear that often. Not everyone is "trailer trash" just because one chooses not to wear a cocktail dress or a tux. I can understand turning away someone who wanted to be seated in a tube top and Daisy Dukes on formal night. However, as long as people are dressed nicely as they would for church, I think they should be able to dine in the dining room and enjoy what they paid for instead of having to deal with overzealous people who have nothing better to do than worry about what other people are wearing. I don't think those of who think that you're in the majority on this issue should let your vacation be ruined because someone on formal night didn't dress to your specifications in the dining room or afterward at a show. As Joel Osteen says, "Don't let anyone steal your joy!" The bottom line is that cruises are supposed to be fun, not stressful. For everyone... Including trailer trash...

You don't go to weddings, baptisms, bar/bas mitzvahs, office Christmas parties, or other events to which you could wear a cocktail dress???

Norm.
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie
I have not been on a cruise yet so some of this is pure speculation on my part as a businessperson. It seems to me that certain cruise lines are sending mixed messages with their marketing plans. For example, RCI is positioning themselves as a family cruise line. Well, I don't know of too many families who want to buy their children formalwear so that they can enjoy a nice dinner with service. Not all people will want to dump their kids off on a babysitter.
We have been going on cruises with our kids for about 5 years now starting when our youngest was 6. We actually like the formal nights and the entire dining experience as it helps them develop and utilize manners. We are for the most part very casual at home so the cruise experience helps round out their experiences.

In addition, we have many great family photographs from those formal evenings that are really great. Sometimes I think the that the cruise lines run the world's most expensive photo studios!

I realize that some may view this as an unecessary expense, but as has been indicated in other posts, reasonably affordable options do exist in getting clothing.
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:52 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby
I have to tell you, formal dressing for dinner stresses me out! It's the one reason, we have never cruised. I finally broke down and decided that we should do a cruise to Alaska as I have heard so many wonderful things about it.

We live in Central California and don't have occasion to dress formally. We go downtown for dinner and go to the theater. These are not formal events in our area. We dress appropriately, but not formally. We don't have formal clothing, and don't really relish the thought of having to get some for a one week cruise. My husband has a suit, A SUIT, ONE! He has worn it very few times and lucky for him, he hasn't gained any weight and can still wear it. We usually pack light when we vacation and it looks like cruising is not for light packers.

We don't intend to break the dress code, (mostly out of fear), but it would be much easier and more comfortable for us if the cruise lines dropped the formal nights.

Hi Ruby,

That is one feature of Norwegian Cruise Line. Their formal evenings are optional, and the regular evening dress code is Resort Casual. Very comfortable-----sundresses, skirts, nice slacks & tops for women. Men can wear dockers, dress slacks, with collared shirts. No Jeans, shorts, tee shirts or swimsuites allowed in the diningrooms after 5:30pm
Old June 11th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Passenger

Default Voting for Cruise Lines to enforce current dress codes

My husband and I enjoy dressing up for formal nights on cruises. It is our hope and/vote that the cruise lines enforce the dress codes that now exist.

While cruising with Princess lines on the Grand Princess Mediterranean cruise in 2000, everyone in the formal dining room dressed accordingly. We found the same compliance on NCL on their Baltic Capitals cruise in 2003. We have never seen anyone dressed in other than dressy pants suits and gowns and some of the men wore tuxedos and/or dark suits. I saw no men with just slacks and shirts and ties on formal nights.
Even on our Caribbean cruise with Dawn Princess people were dressed formally on "formal" nights. It may be that on the shorter and warm climate cruises that things are different.

I think it is nice for the Cruise Lines to set aside one diningroom for those wishing to dress up but to enforce it if necessary. That would leave many other options for those wishing not to dine formally.

Jayge
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:54 PM
First Mate

I'm an avid cruiser and I love clothes, but I would like to see the cruise lines have informal attire.

I'm not talking about dockers, jeans, t-shirts, shorts. But dress slacks, dress shirts or sports jackets for men and short dresses, pantsuits or tops and skirts/slacks for women.

I like to cruise on longer itineraries and usually have to fly to port, so any way I can save on luggage makes travelling easier.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Continue the dress code.
It is a recommendation only. No enforcement should be done.
If one doesn't follow the recommendation, they just show their lack of respect for their fellow passengers.
Some restaurants require shoes on sandels with socks and tops to eat. I guess they don't like "toecheese" mixed with there own cheese display.
Shorts and tank tops is only two steps from nudity. Doesn't bother me if they look bad as long as they don't also smell bad. If they come in nude, I will look and laugh.
If I walked in nude, people would probably throw up.
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapel
Continue the dress code.
It is a recommendation only. No enforcement should be done.
If one doesn't follow the recommendation, they just show their lack of respect for their fellow passengers.
Some restaurants require shoes on sandels with socks and tops to eat. I guess they don't like "toecheese" mixed with there own cheese display.
Shorts and tank tops is only two steps from nudity. Doesn't bother me if they look bad as long as they don't also smell bad. If they come in nude, I will look and laugh.
If I walked in nude, people would probably throw up.
The dress code on Celebrity is NOT a recommendation only. At least that is not what they say. They comment in their passenger materials that they WILL enforce the dress code.

But on our 6 cruises we have see very very few NOT dress according to the recommended dress code. (Lucky I guess)

We've been on:

Celebrity
RCCI
Holland America

A few of the worst dressed was on RCCI...and to be honest even there it was just a few!
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Default dress codes

When one opts to go on a cruise they are in the company of other people. When the particular cruise line suggests a certain dress code it should be followed especially if the party is eating in the main dining room. I feel that if you don't care to "dress up", you always have the option of eating at the buffet or in your cabin. One doesn't have to follow a particular "dress code" but it is nice to be a "team player" and participate in the suggested dress code of the evening. Many people cruise not only to see the different ports but also to meet other people!
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Fieldmouse,

The dress code on Celebrity is NOT a recommendation only. At least that is not what they say. They comment in their passenger materials that they WILL enforce the dress code.

But on our 6 cruises we have see very very few NOT dress according to the recommended dress code. (Lucky I guess)

That has been my experience on Celebrity, too. With other lines adopting two formal evenings and the rest casual (on cruises of about ten nights or less), Celebrity's "informal" evenings and upscale demeanor seem to keep most of the "casual only" crowd away.

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Admiral

selctsys,

We have been going on cruises with our kids for about 5 years now starting when our youngest was 6. We actually like the formal nights and the entire dining experience as it helps them develop and utilize manners. We are for the most part very casual at home so the cruise experience helps round out their experiences.

I agree completely. The formal evenings are a fantastic learning experience for children of all ages, especially if parents take the time to teach the children proper dress and proper conduct in a formal restaurant.

I'm curious. Did you take your children to nice restaurants at home before you took them on their first cruise?

Norm.