Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:53 PM
Admiral

I hate to kick around a drunken horse, but I wonder how many of the posters who think that it is alright to smuggle liquor on board the ship are also the ones who feel that dress codes should be strictly enforced.

I don't drink on a cruise ship, because I prefer saving all those alcohol calories for extra desserts.

Live and let live, but hope that no more young people get drunk and die.
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:36 PM
First Mate

Hi!
I don't smuggle, and I dress as asked. Guess I am one of those who just grew up playing by the rules.

Tracy
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zotzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by selctsys
As was stated before, this is all about maximizing revenue by RCI.
So? Last I saw, they were a publicly traded corporation. In other words, they are in business to attempt to make money and turn a profit.

They have every right (some would say *obligation*) to do what they feel necessary to do so.

Tracy
Of course they are in business to make money and maximize profits just like any other company. However, this type of action certainly turns off some of their customers which could in turn lower overall revenue. It may be a case of being "penny wise and pound foolish". I can't say with certainty that it will, but it is certainly a turn-off to this platinum C&A member watching guest's alcohol being impounded at the gangway. At least RCI should be upfront about their actions and not act like impounding alcohol is first and foremost for the passengers safety. That is the part that really bothers me - not that they don't allow passengers to consume their own drinks.

In any event, lots of choice exists for passengers these days and each company make different decisions in how they want to address the market. Time will tell if this policy sticks and whether it helps the company prosper...
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBeaSea
A cabin onboard is my hotel room for the week..with a difference-it's the only hotel room where I am not allowed to bring a bottle of alcohol, from either off or on the premises. We enjoy having a quiet drink or two on our balcony before dinner and I really don't see the harm in bringing my own bottle for this purpose, unless I was desperately worried about the loss of revenue for the ship. In a land hotel I wouldn't run down to the bar to get a couple of drinks to take back to the room, nor would I use room service for a couple of drinks. I am expected to do this aboard a ship...sorry but I won't comply.

As an adult it is ridiculous to have to "smuggle" one lousy bottle of alcohol to my room. As Anne says, this is about revenue-period.
Yup thats the way I see it.

Quote:
There's just too many kids running around on these boards looking for an easy way in to smuggle stuff aboard the ship (like the kids did in the above post/news). Sorry.
Since when is someone 21 a kid.

Im really getting sick and tired of people making apologies/excuses for people who make bad decisions and who are also old enough to vote and or drink. As far as Im concerned if your 18+ you should have been taught by now that there are consequences for you actions. If not than someone didnt do a very good job or parenting. The generation of helicopter parents that has cropped up over the last few years will be the ruin of us all.

And no Im not old. I was just raised old school.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:13 PM
Passenger

Who checks the captains luggage ?

Emerald Seas 79 NCL Southward 80
NCL Sunward 1982
RCL Splendour Of The Seas 96
Celebrity Galaxy 99
Celebrity Infinity 01
RCL Serenade Of The Seas 03
RCL Sovereign Of The Seas 04
Diamond Princess 04
Coral Princess 06
Golden Princess 2x 07
NCL Star 07
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:11 PM
Passenger

I agree with mstill & 1014... I disagree with Cassandra.

Speaking of the Captain... what did they find in his toilet ?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
Passenger

Jack,

Would that be the Captain's Log?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
First Mate

OMG....you need to warn us before doing that! I had a mouthful of Diet Coke which almost ended up on my computer screen!
Tracy
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:53 AM
First Mate

Please tell me that they do check suit cases, not just xray the carry ons? I am only asking for security reasons...do they?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:34 PM
Passenger

Royal,
They check all suitcases, in fact they check all packages.
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Passenger

Scott,

Do they check everyones package ?? Hopefully they are female !!
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Beginner

Sorry guys I am new to all of this but I am booked for the Explorer of the seas out of Bayonne on July 14 and the agent from RC said that we can legally bring two bottles of wine for each adult as long as they are not on the wine list. Is this right or was this guy full of crap? Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

You can hide some beers in check in bags. but not the bags you are going to take onboard
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Passenger

Jack,

It depends what line you get into, I usually wait and find the hottest girl, then go thru her line for my package check! I loved the captain joke, it's nice to see someone else with my kind of humor. some of these people don't get it!
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Passenger

Scott,

Thanks... you have some great ones also !! I couldn't resist the captain one...
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Beginner

Toilet humour aside, how much does a beer cost on these boats?
Old June 2nd, 2006, 05:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

ok im like totally confused!!!im leaving for my first cruise on sunday,the 4th!and im wondering what bags do they check?what do they do to
carry-ons?and also,which bag would you put liquor in if you were goin to smuggle it onboard?is it better to put it in a different container like a mouthwash bottle or water bottles?do they check to see if the water bottles/coke bottles have been opened yet?sorry for all of the questions but thanks in advance for all of the replies!!!
Old June 3rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you want to bring booze on board against the rules, the best bet is to put it in your packed luggage or put it in some other container when you bring it on. I guess it is like sneaking alcohol into a college football game!