Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Passenger

Default Alcohol in luggage

We are going on a cruise on the Navigator and our cabin has a balcony. Can we put booze in our luggage to consume in our cabin? Also will they check our carry on when we go onto the ship? Actually what do the customs agents do nowadays? Do they go through all your luggage, then take it to your cabin?
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Your carry-on bag goes through x-ray, just like the airport but I'm fairly certain your suitcase doesn't get screened. If you want to take a chance a bottle won't break....it's your call.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:03 PM
First Mate

Considering that a 21 year old who smuggled booze in his suitcase went overboard on Mariner this week....I have a hunch they will be cracking down on this practice.

Tracy
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Tracy, what difference does it make if it was in his suitcase, ordered through room service, or purchashed at the bars?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Tracy, what difference does it make if it was in his suitcase, ordered through room service, or purchashed at the bars?
RCI's policy is that you cannot bring your own booze onboard. That's the difference.

Tracy
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Tracy, that is not the point. My point was that if he went overboard due to being drunk, then what difference does it make where the booze came from?

That's all.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Passenger

So why do some of my friends say that they put booze in their suitcase and they never go through the suitcase? That's why I wonder what they do at customs before you board the ship. What will they do if they fine booze?
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:55 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
My point was that if he went overboard due to being drunk, then what difference does it make where the booze came from?
Because while the young men were served what would seem a reasonable amount in the bars. If people are going to chug their own concoctions in their rooms and then fall overboard, it would behoove the cruiseline to more thoroughly enforce their own policies.

The OP asked about smuggling booze. I did not pass judgement on this idea...I merely suggested that recent events may make that more difficult in the future.

Maybe RCIs official statement will shed a little light on it.....

Full Statement From Royal Caribbean:

"At 9 a.m. today, five FBI agents and four U.S. Coast Guard officers boarded Mariner of the Seas in St. Thomas to investigate the tragic disappearance of a 21-year-old male guest, who has been missing from the ship since early Monday morning.

"The agents and officers spent four hours onboard the ship interviewing the missing man's six travel companions, other guests and crew members, and meeting with the family of the missing man. The family was flown to the ship by Royal Caribbean.

"Royal Caribbean learned the following from the FBI's investigation:

The young man was served five drinks over a four-hour period - from 8 p.m. to midnight Sunday. During this time, the young man also ate dinner with his six companions, at which point the seven guests shared 1.5 bottles of wine.

The missing man and his three roommates brought three bottles of liquor onboard the ship, which they concealed in their luggage in violation of Royal Caribbean policy. The young men concealed some the liquor in two large mouthwash bottles. One bottle contained Crown Royal, the other, a combination of two liquors - one named Hypnotic and the other Hennessy cognac. The young men also brought a bottle of Bacardi rum onto the ship in their luggage.

The four young men consumed the alcohol Sunday afternoon and that evening in both their stateroom and that of their guardian.

The four videotaped themselves as they drank the alcohol.

The FBI and Coast Guard thoroughly reviewed the digital video recording captured by the ship's security systems, which recorded the young man alone on an outside portion of deck four on the starboard side of the ship between 12:12 a.m. and 2:16 a.m. Monday. The FBI and Coast Guard indicated to family members that the young man went overboard at 2:16 a.m. Monday and that he was alone at the time.

"We extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to the family and friends of this young man," said Adam Goldstein, president of Royal Caribbean International. "They remain in our thoughts and prayers as they move forward from this tragic event."

"The young man's stateroom and the deck four area were fully reviewed by the FBI and were released back to Royal Caribbean. The agency also gave the ship permission to continue with its sailing.

"The ship is delaying its departure until midnight tonight (by six hours) to accommodate a visit by the young man's sister. Royal Caribbean continues to assist the young man's family with a guest care team and grief counseling."

Tracy
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Tracy, thanks for the reply. I had not seen that detailed report before.

Old May 18th, 2006, 06:06 PM
First Mate

No problemo!!
T
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Admiral

I think it was about eight years ago a drunken teen decided to relieve himself off the deck of a Carnival ship that had just left San Juan. Fortunately, his friends saw him go overboard. Carnival sent out it's boats immediately, the Coast Guard helicopters looked everywhere for him. He swam four miles from the ship to a beach in Puerto Rico and hailed a car, spent a night in a hospital and flew home the next day.

Missing is sometimes young, drunk and very careless.

No, they wouldn't start checking bags because of this. It would cost too much money to x-ray all the luggage.

I don't think any security is very good. A month ago I boarded the QM 2 which supposedly has the tightest security on earth. I make jewelry and decided to take along my tools, make stuff on the six-night crossing. In my carry-on, which went through x-ray, I had pliers, wire-cutters, scissors, a metal tool that resembles a knife and three spools of wire thread. I went right through and the security guard suggested I have a nice voyage!

That was in Southampton, UK. I'd just gotten off British Airways and none of their security people at Newark Airport noticed either.

A bottle of booze?
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Passenger

Thanks Anne. I am just going to take my chances. What's the worst they could do, take it away from me?
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:13 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1014
I am just going to take my chances. What's the worst they could do, take it away from me?
Yep. And then they will probably give it back to you at the end of the cruise.
Tracy
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Passenger

I've also heard that they will let you take wine on board for a corking fee. I don't think that is right eigther and my travel agent can't get me the answer.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Passenger

It always amazes me how some people just HAVE to break the rules. Its like a two year old who will just throw a temper tantrum when she/he can't do anything they want. JMO
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Worse than that would be a suitcase full of clothes that smell like booze, lol. At least for me. Carnival ships have self-service laundry facilities but RCI and Celebrity vessels do not. I do know that bags are tossed around quite a bit.

It was never a problem taking a bottle aboard until the cruise lines started getting obsessive about getting as much on-board revenue as possible.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Admiral

I saw a guy today wearing a tee-shirt which had in very large lettering on the back " Screw the rules--just do it "'

I couldn't help but think about a lot of these posts I see here regarding dress codes, bringing alcohol aboard, etc.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Customs officials care about what you take OFF the ship; they really don't often care what you carry onto the ship - that is Royal Caribbean's call.

An exception would be large sums of cash (money laundering).

LL
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

A cabin onboard is my hotel room for the week..with a difference-it's the only hotel room where I am not allowed to bring a bottle of alcohol, from either off or on the premises. We enjoy having a quiet drink or two on our balcony before dinner and I really don't see the harm in bringing my own bottle for this purpose, unless I was desperately worried about the loss of revenue for the ship. In a land hotel I wouldn't run down to the bar to get a couple of drinks to take back to the room, nor would I use room service for a couple of drinks. I am expected to do this aboard a ship...sorry but I won't comply.

As an adult it is ridiculous to have to "smuggle" one lousy bottle of alcohol to my room. As Anne says, this is about revenue-period.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:43 AM
First Mate

Absolutely agree that the no alcohol brought on board has to do with total revenue and nothing to do with how much is consumed in your room or anywhere else on the ship.My contention is that if they would make the drinks more reasonable this would not even have to be addressed.When I cruised in the early 60,s we never had to worry about this as drinks were priced at duty free pricing Am sure a new posting will tell me that drinks are no more expensive than most hotels which is not true and another posting will say that if you can afford the price of a cruise you can afford the drink prices and my point is that we enjoy having a drink in our room prior to dinner and will not be going to the bar to bring back two drinks to my room.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1014
I've also heard that they will let you take wine on board for a corking fee. I don't think that is right eigther and my travel agent can't get me the answer.
My understanding is that they allow two bottles of wine per person, as long as it is not a label which they stock on the ship.

Tracy
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Sure, go ahead & put the booze in your suitcase BEFORE you get on the plane. This way, it'll break & ruin all your clothes which will stink to high heaven & then you'll have to pay the ship to clean all your clothes.

Brilliant idea. And all this just to get liquored up? Planning on jumping over the rail also?

I agree with Sunbird's post.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Why do some people automatically assume those who bring adult beverages in their luggage will be the ones who drink irresponsibly? The people who drink irresponsibly and end up in trouble and/or injuring themselves or others, would drink to excess regardless of how the beverage was obtained.

If you are going to drink excessively, join the buddy system and look out for one another, get an inside room and avoid the open areas of the ship.

Mom and Dad having a cocktail in the room is not a crime.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Sure, go ahead & put the booze in your suitcase BEFORE you get on the plane. This way, it'll break & ruin all your clothes which will stink to high heaven & then you'll have to pay the ship to clean all your clothes.

That is the main reason, policy or no policy, I never bring my own booze and wine. Frankly, when you bring booze, you also need mixers, condiments, etc.... (well, unless you enjoy it straight up). Far too much trouble for me! I'm on vacation and happy to just pay and have someone else make me a drink.

Just a little over two weeks until I get to live the life once again!
Freedom, here I come!!!

Tracy
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Passenger

Cass-
You are off base with your post. I am a senior citizen and enjoy a coctail in my cabin before dinner. This is the reason that we always get a balcony. Do not assume that everyone who wants to bring alcohol on board is not responsible. We definitely pay our share of drinks in the bars during the day and after dinner. And by the way, I don't have to worry about the airplane because I am not flying.
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Admiral

the whole issue of the cruise lines clamping down on bringing aboard alcohol came about because 1.people started abusing the policy, trying to bring aboard wheeled coolers full of beer for example 2. Which turned into a loss of revenue for the cruise lines.
It wasn't too many years ago that you could bring aboard a resonable amount of liquor in your carry-on luggage for on board consumption in your stateroom.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Ah, that explains it then. I wasn't aware you were one of the responsible ones. There's just too many kids running around on these boards looking for an easy way in to smuggle stuff aboard the ship (like the kids did in the above post/news). Sorry.
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Passenger

Now I don't drink, but I'm sorry rules are broken everyday and this is not a perfect world. So if someone wants to break rules, y does anyone care? I know I don't. They can do whatever they want. If they get in trouble, that's their fault. If someone wants to bring liquer onboard, that's their perogative. I mean only 5% of the population of drivers on the road drive the speed limit. I mean who drives the speed limit? Which on most highways in the northeast is a ridiculous 55 mph.

RCCL Majesty of the Seas 9/06
CCL Imagination 8/05
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

As was stated before, this is all about maximizing revenue by RCI. I am really amazed at the rationale that RCI is using for restricting passengers from bringing alcohol on board - passenger security/safety. We were on the 4/9 booze cruise to mexico and I have never seen drinks pushed any harder.

If RCI wants to do something to improve security and safety, why don't they install more closed circuit TV cams on the deck rather than search passenger carry on luggage for booze?

It seems reasonable that someone should be able to BYOB if they can maintain control and are of legal age for consuming alcohol.
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by selctsys
As was stated before, this is all about maximizing revenue by RCI.
So? Last I saw, they were a publicly traded corporation. In other words, they are in business to attempt to make money and turn a profit.

They have every right (some would say *obligation*) to do what they feel necessary to do so.

Tracy