Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Beginner

Default Question Re: Internet Access on Mariner of the Seas

I hope one of you can help me! I would like to book a cruise on Royal Caribbean, Mariner of the Seas. I need to work however, while away and will have to be able to access the internet and my AOL account each day. I have a laptop with a wireless card that I will bring that has the word processing software I need. I read on Cruise Critic that the Mariner of the Seas has only like 40 units available for internet access in your cabins. I called Royal Caribbean and they would only confirm that "there are a limited number of units". My question was, if I cannot get one of those units, is there somewhere on the ship that I can go and use my laptop to do my work? The lady at Royal Caribbean was not able to answer, her suggestion was I try a different class of ship! In any event, I need a vacation, however, I do statistical work for a law enforcement agency and the info must be compiled, imputed and sent each day. I am afraid to book this cruise unless I know for sure I will be able to work. Has anyone been on this ship and has any first hand knowledge of how the whole "cyber staterooms" work or whether or not you can use your own laptap wirelessly? I am so afraid that I will do this, pay the money, get on the ship and then not be able to work. So I would appreciate any advise or info anyone has. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Passenger

We were on Mariner in March. My husband used his laptop with wireless (cellphone) card when we were in port in Port Canaveral. Once we got out a few miles, the wireless card did not work anymore. I do recall reading before we left that the cabin units were really slow - like a dialup connection.

There is more-or-less an internet cafe on Deck 8 (we were on this deck). I don't remember many times when all of the PCs there were in use. I don't believe you use connect your own own laptop to their network in the internet area --- I suspect there are firewall and security issues that would necessitate the use of their PCs.

One time I tried to use the internet and it was down for 45 minutes or so, but that didn't seem to be a common problem.

I think you can buy a pass for a certain amount of internet time. Otherwise, there is a charge. Sorry, but I can't remember how much - 50 cents a minute, I think.

With all due respect, can't you tell your boss that you are going on vacation and get some time away? My husband actually found the cruise to be incredibly relaxing because the lack of availability of internet and cell phones made him almost unreachable ... which is rare these days.

I'm sure someone who used the internet more on the Mariner can give you some more details on any packages that are available.
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Passenger

J,
The Cybercabin package will cost you $100. for the week. It's well worth it. You hook up a different phone in your cabin and plug your laptop into it and surf away. When you first board the ship, or as soon as you can, go to the Guest Relations desk and get a Cybercabin hook-up. Ours have always worked well 24/7.

Good Luck[/b]
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Since you already have a wireless card, you are already set up to operate from one of the six wi-fi hot spots onboard. The connection is slow, no matter how you connect - maybe a little better than a dial-up. If you get one of the internet packages, your cost would be as little as 33 cents per minute.

If you must work in your room, use the tips set forth above.

LL