Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Passenger

Default serenade of the seas

Hello everyone. There has been a change of plans. Hubby and I have decided to go on a cruise March of next year instead of August of this year. Has anyone been on the Serenade of the Seas? How is it compared to the Adventure of the Seas? I know that it is smaller. We are departing from Puerto Rico March 17, 2007 (my birthday) going to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. We have been to St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Can anyone tell me anything about the other ports listed?

Well, I hope to hear from you soon.

Adventure of the Seas 4/18/04
Monarch of the Seas 3/31/03
Majesty of the Seas 4/01/02
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:14 AM
Passenger

Hi, we did the same cruise in march 25 2006

Our situation is pretty the same as yours, because our previous cruise was on board of the Voyager of the Seas, sistership of the Adventure of the Seas.

This is my opinion:

The Serenade is far more elegant and beautiful than the Adventure. The interior is more classic and very clean. We didn't miss the promonade on this ship, and find the shops of the Serenade much nicer to walk thru. You'll like this ship very much, I know that for sure. You'll love her as much I do

The ports are beautiful, so are the people!

What we did:

Puerto Rico (4 nights) --> super friendly and beautiful island!!
St. Thomas --> took a cab, did an island tour and relax at some beaches
St. Maarten --> did an island tour by the cruiseline
Antigua --> highly recommend kayaking! (tour by the cruiseline) http://www.antiguapaddles.com/
St. Lucia --> very green, lush and marvelous island --> land and see tour by cruiseline
Barbados --> 4x4 Jeep Safari

Picture of the ship in St. Lucia
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:01 AM
Passenger

We did this cruise over Thanksgiving. I'll echo the previous poster - beautiful ship, beautiful ports. Antigua...pick a beach, any beach - they're gorgeous. St. Lucia - very pretty island. We did a cab tour on our own. Barbados - we did a bike ride and beach day...another beautiful island. This cruise is worth it for the "tour" of the Pitons in St Lucia....tip - don't pay for a tour to the Piton's here...your captain will give you an unbelievable view from the ship. Also, the final sea day is awesome...you pass so close to Monserrat (the active volcano), St. Kitts, Nevis, and several other islands that it looks like you could swim to shore from the ship. This is one of the best cruises I have ever been on....you're going to love it.
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:34 AM
Passenger

I'll echo you too
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:45 AM
First Mate

We took this same itinerary in April of this year. The ship is wonderful, absolutely beautiful, and never seemed crowded. We thought the food was generally better than some give it credit for on these boards, but we are not particularly picky gourmets.

At our stop in St. Thomas, we went to Cinnamon bay in St. John on our own (Round trip cab and ferry for four ran us about $170).

In St. Maarten we booked the America's Cup race through the RCCL in advance I can't recommend this excursion enough. (even though we came in second, despite our valiant efforts).

In Antigua we took a cab to Shirley Heights and Nelson's dockyards, but skipped the beach to head back early to the ship.

In St. Lucia we took a taxi tour with Cosol and his brother Yellowbird. A five hour tour took us all over the island and they provided us with local food and drink from roadside stands along the way (local bread, Piton beer, fried fish with banana catsup, Johnnie cakes, cookies and spiced rum - not to mention Cosol’s rum punch!). this island is so lush. I never thought I would see a cashew tree!

Finally on Barbados, we booked a catamaran tour with Silver moon.

I echo PYJ's comment about the last day at sea. Passing all those lush mountainous islands was a wonderful sight. They just about had to drag us off the ship when we returned to San Juan.

This is a great cruise and I know you and your husband will enjoy yourselves

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Thank you all so much for your replies. Wow!!! I cannot wait to go on this cruise. Sheik thank you so much for the beautiful photo. Hubby and I are going to stay 2 days in Puerto Rico. Last time we departed from Puerto Rico, we stayed at the Wyndham Old San Juan. I have no complaints but would like to stay somewhere different this time. Any suggestions?

Thank you all again.

Old May 31st, 2006, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

We did the same trip back on 4/05. Our first cruise, LOVED the ship! Food was great! The only difference is the length of Adventure, she's just a little longer than Serenade. But the ship is big enough when you want to walk off a meal!

I have photo's posted here over on the Photo Gallery section at the top of the toolbar . Or you can go to www.webshots.com and look under Cassie4486 for our cruise pictures. Lots of the ship, inside & out.

You'll love this cruise! We are going to go on this ship again hopefully next year & then for our honeymoon to Alaska at some point in time.
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:24 PM
Passenger

Centrum

Dining room

If the pictures reduce the loadingtime I'll delete them.
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:35 PM
Passenger

Cassie I am glad you enjoyed your first cruise. I can tell by the photos that you had a great time. Thanks for sharing them with me. Enjoy your future cruises.

Old May 31st, 2006, 02:39 PM
Passenger

Wow beautiful centrum and dining room Sheik!!!

Old May 31st, 2006, 04:21 PM
Passenger

I really can't be negative about this ship, it's truly a beauty.

For example...you can't compare the atmosphere of the Windjammer between the Serenade and the Voyager/Adventure. The Serenade has 'chique' chairs, well decorated walls and makes use of "buffetislands", so you don't have long lines like the other ships.

The solarium is really beautiful and relaxing!! Especially the theming is superb!
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:07 PM
First Mate

What Sheik didn't tell you was how he took the picture of the Centrum. Sheik, did you lie or stand on that window in the Crown and Anchor lounge to take it? It is a breath-taking view - there is a raised window/platform that is at the middle of the top of the Centrum. You can look straight down all of those floors! I wasn't brave enough to stand on it, but I did lie on it to take a couple of pictures.

In his great picture of the dining room, the table smack dab in the middle with the napkins folded like swans is the Captain's dining table. On the first formal night he eats at 2nd seating, and at the 2nd formal night he eats at first seating.

We loved this ship and itinerary so much that we booked it for next year!

Here is a link to my photos, the ones marked 2006 were from our cruise on the Serenade: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Passenger

Michelle the photos were beautiful. Like you, I don't think that I will be brave enough to stand on the platform.

Thanks for the info about formal night. That's good to know.

The itinerary sounds great. That's why hubby and I had to book this cruise. I have heard only wonderful things about the Serenade. The more I hear of the ship's beauty, the more excited I become. I can't wait.

Enjoy your cruise next year!

Old June 4th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to CVU

I am a first timer on the boards and wish to thank everyone for all the great hints and information on cruising. We have used this board to help us book two cruises on RCCL. We are sailing on Serenade in Sept. to Hawaii and Radiance in April 2007 through the Panama. We saw the Serenade leave Vancouver for Alaska tonight and it looks wonderful. We checked out our two hump cabins from shore and are happy with our choice.
Old June 4th, 2006, 11:56 PM
First Mate

I forgot to add what we did for excursions.

In St. Thomas we went over to St. John. On the way back, we caught the public $2 bus from Red Hook back to near the pier. Next time we will take it both directions. That will save us $8 pp per direction! So, $32 for the 2 of us.

In St. Maarten we went to Pinel Island. Nice, quiet beach.

Antigua - Eli's Eco Tour

St. Lucia - Frank's tour of the island

Barbados - the wonderful Silvermoon I.

The pictures are all in my link above.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old June 5th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Passenger

Sheffie, I was a little anxious of falling thru the glass window The lens of my camera was against the window, therefore you don't see any reflections. My girlfriend didn't like the idea that I was standing on top of the window, neither did I But it's worth it
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Passenger

Well, hubby and I have decided to take our 2 kids. We have an 11 yr old, who cruised with us in 2004, and a 19 month old who will be 2 yrs old when we go on the cruise. So, we have decided to drive instead of fly. We do not know how it will be taking our toddler on an airplane. We do not want to take any chances. We have decided that we are going to leave from Ft Lauderdale on an 8 night on the Radiance of the Seas. We are still departing on March 17, 2007 going to San Juan, St. Maarten, St. John's, St. Thomas and Nassau. Thank you so much for your suggestions. We are planning to cruise on the Serenade in 2008. Thanks again.

Old June 11th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Passenger

The ship still is a beauty, all of the Radiance class ships

Have a great time!!
Old June 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Passenger

Thank you very much Sheik. I'm sure I will. I'm sure we all will.

Old June 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Passenger

We are going on the Serenade of the Seas in December and can't wait! It looks like a beautiful ship. Has anyone on this board sailed in a JS on Deck 10 aft? We are excited about the cabin and larger balcony. Thanks! 8)