Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2006, 12:07 AM
Beginner

Default First time on RCC

We are sailing on Freedom of the Seas 9/24 and I can't wait ! I have only cruised on Carnival before.

I have a really dumb question, but the different restaurants that they have, and that I am reading about, are there charges for meals there? I see there is a pizza place, Johnny's...and the Chop house?

Thanks for any input !

Sue
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:19 AM
Beginner

Default Re: First time on RCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdear
We are sailing on Freedom of the Seas 9/24 and I can't wait ! I have only cruised on Carnival before.

I have a really dumb question, but the different restaurants that they have, and that I am reading about, are there charges for meals there? I see there is a pizza place, Johnny's...and the Chop house?

Thanks for any input !

Sue

I've done some research and read other FOS Forums and from what I understand... Johnny Rockets charges for meals now. (Our cruise on the Navigator they only charged for drinks) Ben & Jerrys also charges as well as the pizza place and Chops (I think its $20 per person to dine). If I'm wrong about any of this, please make any corrections to this post.
I too am curious.
Thanks!
Tina
Old June 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Beginner

Thanks Tina ! I am so excited about this cruise I can hardly stand it. I was up half the night last night searching out all kinds of things.

Keep me posted on anything you find out !

Thanks , Sue
Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Passenger

We have cruised on Mariner, and are again in September. From everything I have read, the prices are the same on all of the Voyageur class ships.

Johnny Rockets has an "upcharge" of $3.95 per person. That includes your tip. They have great onion rings and fries, hamburgers, sandwiches, milkshakes, sundaes, etc. We ate there twice, on port days when we returned to ship early. It wasn't busy at that time, but I have heard that it gets very busy on sea days. DH is a hamburger fanatic, and we thought it was worth the extra charge.

Chops is a steakhouse. The upcharge is $20 per person, including tip. They have VERY good steaks, different appetizers and desserts. It is completely the steakhouse experience. We thought it was worth the extra charge!

Portofinos is an Italian restaurant, and it is also $20 extra. We haven't eaten there, but may on the next cruise. They also have a Murder Mystery night in Portofinos, and I think it is about $45 extra per person, but that includes wine. I have read rave reviews about Portofinos.

If you want to go to Chops or Portofinos, I strongly suggest that you make a reservation your first afternoon or evening on board. Unlike the dining room, you can select a time that works for you. They do get booked up, and I have heard that you could wind up with a 9:30 or 10 pm dinner time if you book too late in the week.

Both Chops and Portofinos do not require a reservation on the first night. And their suggested dress is "smart casual", even on formal night.

On the Promenade deck there is a cafe with sweet rolls, small sandwiches, cookies, cakes, pizza, and coffee. There is no extra charge for this cafe. It's a great place to pick up a mid-morning, afternoon or evening snack. I think they serve pizza well into the night (3 am???). There is also a coffee bar (extra $$$) and Ben & Jerry's ice cream (also extra $$$) at the same location.

Hope this helps!
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
Beginner

Sure does !!

Thanks for the info !
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Djcarolina

Keep in mind that milkshakes are an extra fee at Johnny Rockets. Or they have been on the Mariner, Sovereign, Adventure and Explorer the times i have cruised. Any other ??s IM, PM or e-mail me.

Ryan- Prom King 3 times on the Mariner of the Seas
29 cruises so far and 30 is at the end of the week.
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djcarolina
Keep in mind that milkshakes are an extra fee at Johnny Rockets. Or they have been on the Mariner, Sovereign, Adventure and Explorer the times i have cruised.
It's funny - we weren't charged extra for drinks, sundaes or milkshakes in Johnny Rockets on Mariner. I had read that others had been charged extra for these items, and wondered if they didn't charge us because the place was absolutely empty when we were there. It's not like I'm some hot 20something that the server was trying to impress. We're an old married couple, and had two different servers give us those items gratis.
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

Johnny Rockets is a fun place for lunch!