Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Default advice

Just curious on experienced cruisers advice on decks. We have a choice between deck 7 or deck 10 on freedom....about the same location.

What are your feelings on this? Any difference? Also, does being towards the back make much difference?

Thanks,
Sue
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

With our family we prefer to be up higher rather than lower. This gives easy access to the outdoor recreation areas, fitness center, and windjammer cafe without getting on an elevator. also the view is better when in port as you have less chance of being blocked by structures or other ships. While we haven't been on the FotS, it seems the deck plans still support this view.

I would only pick the lower cabin if:

1) I planned on spending most of my time inside
2) got motion sickness as the pitch and roll would be slightly less if down low.

I didn't like the rear of the ship on Deck 7 on the JotS as we got noise from the Safari Club in the evening. This wouldn't be an issue on Freedom as deck 6 has cabins below. I doubt the vibration would be bad in the back as the propulsion system on Freedom uses the modern pod system.
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Djcarolina

IF your cabins are the same which is possible heres your options:
- Generally higher priced cabins are on the upper decks as a result of their closeness to activities
- If you have an option of a higher deck versus a lower deck for the same price you may want to choose the higher deck as it will limit your distance to amenities. This comes in handy also during prime times when elevators are packed and the stairs are the only logical option.
- If you choose a higher deck however, you will feel the pitch and roll of the ship more. If you get seasickness you may choose this option still as Drammamine pills are commonly available at most any store nowadays, they are also avaliable for free from your cabin steward whom you'll meet the first day of your voyage. More than likely during your first hour onboard. In extreme cases the ships doctor can administer an injection which i have seen clear people up in time to enjoy their next meal! So if you have any more questions or concerns please feel free to send me an IM, Private message (PM), or an e-mail at Ryanspecialevent@msn.com Happy Sailing

Ryan- 3 Time Prom King of the Mariner of the Seas
29 cruises so far and 30 is coming up at the end of the week
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Beginner

As for my experience, i would choose deck 7.....not too high, not too low. i don't like being too low because it is far away from the amenities. however, what does influence my decision is where on the ship the room is. we always always get rooms in the center of the ship, near the promenade due to our motion sickness. the best place for those who experience motion sickness is middle and bottom of the ship - where you feel the least movement (hint....this is why the ice rink is located where it is on all of the rccl fleet). we find, however that being at the bottom or the top doesn't really affect that much for us. hope that helps.
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

We like the lower decks. Sure, you are farther away from everything, but its only an elevator ride away.

We also like it because to get off the ship - the exit is right there. Unlike the folks on the upper decks who have to walk down or take the elevator to the lower levels.

Plus...its quiet. There's no engine noises, no bar noises, nothing but the sound of the ocean lulling you to sleep. (shrugs) depends on what you like.
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Default Always stick to the middle

I always try to stick to the most center of decks, I am a total wimp when it comes to motion sickness, I also find the center also quieter. Ok I will tell you my worst experience, it was on the Disney Magic, I was eating at Palo's which is on the top deck over looking the stern. We were in a mild storm and the ship seemed to be swaying more than usual, our waiter said high winds push against the sides of ships and that can make even small storms on higher decks seem worse.

Any more questions feel free to email me.

jdfurtado@aol.com
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Beginner

Thanks for all your input ! We settled on deck 9 in mid ship. It's a "hump" room on RCI , which I hear are nice. I haven't been on the cruise line before.

Very excited about this ship !

Thanks !
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

We prefer the upper deck with a balcony. No balcony? Then you may as go anywhere in the midships area. As someone stated above, there is less rocking if you are midships.

LL
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Beginner

We got a balcony at mid ship. It's on the "hump" on RCI which is suppose to be a great room.

I cant wait !!

Thanks
Old June 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ah, the hump!

Very desireable from what I am told...we are booked JS on the hump in Navigator and Voyager in future cruises...

LL
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RCCL "HUMP"??????

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THE "HUMP" !!! I SAW SOME RCCL POSTINGS OF A CABIN ON THE "HUMP" ?????I'M NOT EVEN SURE I SHOULD BE ASKING THIS QUESTION? SOUNDS A LITTLE RISQUE.

WE ARE GOING TO SCHEDULE OUR NEXT CRUISE WITH RC AND I WONDER IF I WANT TO SCHEDULE A ROOM ON THE "HUMP" OR JUST SAY I DID WHEN I DIDN'T.

BAndrews
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Beginner

..just say i did and didnt hahaha..

Anyways, the hump is that part of the ship that kind of bows out at the sides. I have never stayed in one, but I hear it is prime real estate .

Going to find out on Freedom of the Seas in September.