Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Beginner

Default New Cruiser with Questions!

I will be taking my first cruise in Aug to Alaska on RCCL's Radiance. I'm really excited, but do have some questions! I'll probably do them separately, as I'm also reading all old posts!
How do you possibly fit everything in?!! I've heard if I want a Salon appointment to run-not walk as SOON as I'm board ship, is this really true?
Anyone else taking the Vancouver to Alaska cruise on Aug. 19? Anyone taken it before with any tips/hints? I was going to bring some shorts, think I'll need them?
Thanks for any info.
Brenda

2 Months, 8 days til' I cruise!
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Brenda - if you want your hair done for formal nights then yes get to the salon as soon as you board to make your appointment.
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I would throw a pair a shorts in your suitcase. Alaska can be cool to warm and sunny. The trick for packing in Alaska is layers. Remember the outer layer clothing (sweater, light jacket, rain gear) all can be re-worn, so you only need to pack one or maybe two of these.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Captain

Layering is key in Alaska! We did a raft trip near the Mendenhall in Sept one year and it was 70 degrees out. Also changing elevations during excursions can change the temperature by several degrees. Have a blast and you won't see everything so enjoy planning your next trip, Robbie
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Just came back from Alaska and found the weather can change quickly WHILE you are on an excursion. For us it was from WARM and Sunny to very cool. Dress in layers as suggested! Good advice!
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default Re: New Cruiser with Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda625
I will be taking my first cruise in Aug to Alaska on RCCL's Radiance. I'm really excited, but do have some questions! I'll probably do them separately, as I'm also reading all old posts!
How do you possibly fit everything in?!! I've heard if I want a Salon appointment to run-not walk as SOON as I'm board ship, is this really true?
Anyone else taking the Vancouver to Alaska cruise on Aug. 19? Anyone taken it before with any tips/hints? I was going to bring some shorts, think I'll need them?
Thanks for any info.
Brenda

2 Months, 8 days til' I cruise!
Brenda;

My First Cruise,
How exciting it will be for you. My cruise next month will be with family members that have never been on a cruise. My enjoyment will be to interact with them.
How to fit everything in? You fit everything in by planning ahead. Establish your schedule and proceed. Excursions are decided and booked ahead. Appointments are booked as far ahead as possible.
The ship puts out a daily activity paper. It list everything going on that day on the ship. You and your companions should have a copy on you at all times to check what is happening. Your cabin steward should be advised that you want a copy for each of the members in your cabin. Sometimes they will just leave one, and you have to go to the desk to get some more for that day. Don’t forget you are tipping so ask for special favors.
Don’t forget to make use of the coffee or breakfast in the room, usually preceded by a wake up call to be sure you will answer the door.
If you have a lot of battery chargers etc. I like to bring an extension cord to get these things away from where the wife is working her magic with curling iron. Multiple electric outlets are not always where you want them.
Check your medicine since the ship’s doctor will charge a lot for minimal things.
I hardly ever got travel insurance in the past, but now I get it all the time.
Check: http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...YNOLDS&match=1
Scroll to Alaskan cruise
Hope You have a wonderful cruise.
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Beginner

Default Thanks for tips!

Thanks everyone for the tips, I'll definitely use them!
Joe- your pictures of Alaska are beautiful, now I'm getting more excited!
Brenda

[img]/countdown.php?month=08&year=2006&day=19&hour=16:00[/img]
Radiance of the Seas to Alaska