Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Default spring break cruise: bad idea?

Hi, wondering what the general thought is on family cruising during spring break. We have two teens but are not real rowdy...don't want to find myself in the midst of wet tee shirt contests, etc....thoughts? Lynn
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Go for it! Don't do Carnival though. Go RCI there won't be any wet t-shirt contests except maybe at the bars in some of the ports.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
First Mate

If you plan on cruising anytime during March or April it's always "Spring Break" someplace, there's no getting around it. So long as it's not "Easter Week" the ship shouldn't be overrun with unruly kids. We always cruise sometime during this period and have found that by booking longer cruises, ie: 10 to 14 dyas, you can avoid alot to the kids because they usually only get a week off.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:57 PM
StephenAGoreJr

this is a fun time on the cruise. don't worry people from 18-30 don't get too rowdy. There are all age types on these things. You also have to think most college kids can't do RCCL because it costs too much. I am trying to go on the freedom with some friends. wish us luck
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We've cruised during our kids spring break with our children on both Carnival and Royal Carribean and haven't had any issues with either line. You'll find quite a few other families with children during these weeks. Keep in mind that on Carnival you have to be 21 to drink at all and on RCL 18-21 can drink beer & wine with parental approval.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Spring break season is the time when most families can cruise. You will find lots of teens for your kids to hang out with. RCCL is a very family friendly cruise line.
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We used to go during spring break all the time, when cruising with the kids, never had a problem. The weather is perfect and a great time to cruise, although you'll find the prices a bit higher, but all in all, always had good cruises then, I'd go for it with either Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:43 PM
First Mate

You shouldn't have any problem... I was on spring break cruise this past March and ship was about 1/3 kids, 1/3 college kids and 1/3 regular guests. The college kids added to the fun and excitement and were never out of control as I thought they might be. There were some of the younger kids who would run around the ship... usually unsupervised, but if you have cruised before this is not uncommon on any sailing throughout the year.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Passenger

We have cruised many years on spring break. One thing to keep in mind is that the breaks are different all over the country so it's not like every family w/ kids will be on break that one week . Ours has been the end of March the past couple of years. Our son is now 15 and not rowdy but loves to meet new people. RCL is the best!

Denise
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Passenger

thanks Denise, and everyone for the reassurance....it's been several years since I've cruised so I feel like a newbie. Lynn
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:51 PM
First Mate

Sorry but we had an contrary experience on an Easter break trip (maybe that is diferent) It left from Miami (Brilliance whihc is such a great ship! ) & there were many many unsupervised children getting into all sorts of trouble day & night--never again--partly parental fault but the cruise line did very little to get it back in contraol...Yo may have great kids but others may not control theirs so watch yours closely! Come to think of it--Easter week from that port was worse than our prior Spring break trips!
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:45 PM
StephenAGoreJr

yeah but the little kids are more out after easter, us COLLEGE kids are out in early march. We are fun. come join the fun!!
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have gone on several spring break trips and never had too much of a problem unless you are turned off by kids sitting in the halls playing cards and talking. Our experience, however, is only on RCI and Disney so I can't comment on other lines.
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM
First Mate

if they only played cards who would care? --on our Easter trip last yr on Brilliance out of Miami some of the many unsupervised children switched all the room service orders so no one could use the cards anymore...they poured chocolate over the railing onto the art auction.... monopolized the elevators & hot tubs & stair wells & ripped jewels off the elephant sculptures in the adult only pool area...& were brought to the nightclubs during late hrs to cry & whine & also could not sit through the long service in Chops & Portofino--somehow they were let in...That was some of what I recall,,,,I blame the parents for non-supervision& the cruise line for not enforcing the rules. I would prefer college spring breakers any day! There are many days to cruise for some of us so why pick a week that might be irritating...!
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:48 PM
StephenAGoreJr

you will have fun on a cruise whether you go then or you go any other week. Cruises are FUN!
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Passenger

We were on Mariner (RCCI) during one of the busiest spring break weeks (mid-March). There were over a thousand children on board (under 18) and they were no problem at all. We barely noticed them.

Go with a 7-night or longer cruise. Most college kids can't afford them. It often seems to be easier to handle the 7-year olds than the staggeringly drunk 19-year olds.
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcat
if they only played cards who would care? --on our Easter trip last yr on Brilliance out of Miami some of the many unsupervised children switched all the room service orders so no one could use the cards anymore...they poured chocolate over the railing onto the art auction.... monopolized the elevators & hot tubs & stair wells & ripped jewels off the elephant sculptures in the adult only pool area...& were brought to the nightclubs during late hrs to cry & whine & also could not sit through the long service in Chops & Portofino--somehow they were let in...That was some of what I recall,,,,I blame the parents for non-supervision& the cruise line for not enforcing the rules. I would prefer college spring breakers any day! There are many days to cruise for some of us so why pick a week that might be irritating...!
Amazing! We were on the Vision of the Seas and saw nothing like that. That certainly doesn't sound like any fun. I can't imagine the parents that raised their kids to be such blatent vandals.
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Passenger

I've been on two cruises that took place during spring break. The only time I ever noticed rowdyness was either at kareokey (I know that is spelled wrong) or at "The Quest: the Adult gameshow". At the time of those cruises I was 16 and 17 so I went to most of the adult activities and I thought that it was a lot more low key than I thought it would be for a spring break cruise.