Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Default Cabo Stop on the Vision OTS

My wife and I will be stopping in Cabo on our upcoming cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Vision OTS. We want to make it a beach day, does anyone have any suggestions on a good beach with services? I have ruled out the main beach, Medano, as too crowded. I'm looking for something a little further up Tourist Corridor that has restrooms and maybe beach chairs and such. I was looking and saw one called "Bahia Chileno" that looked really good, but the guide book said it was bought out by a private resort and may not be open much longer, anybody know if it still is open?

Also, I heard water taxis are a good way to get around if we want to go to a beach or up to San Jose Del Cabo?

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Admiral

blueliner,

My wife and I will be stopping in Cabo on our upcoming cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Vision OTS. We want to make it a beach day, does anyone have any suggestions on a good beach with services? I have ruled out the main beach, Medano, as too crowded. I'm looking for something a little further up Tourist Corridor that has restrooms and maybe beach chairs and such. I was looking and saw one called "Bahia Chileno" that looked really good, but the guide book said it was bought out by a private resort and may not be open much longer, anybody know if it still is open?

There's usually a shore excursion that goes to a decent beach club. These excursions typically includes transportation, use of beach chairs, and coupons for a couple beverages. It may also include a boat tour out to Los Arcos ("The Arches") at Land's End, which is a fascinating area teaming with pellicans, sea otters, and other wildlife in addition to incredible natural rock formations.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old July 1st, 2006, 12:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
There's usually a shore excursion that goes to a decent beach club. These excursions typically includes transportation, use of beach chairs, and coupons for a couple beverages. It may also include a boat tour out to Los Arcos ("The Arches") at Land's End, which is a fascinating area teaming with pellicans, sea otters, and other wildlife in addition to incredible natural rock formations.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
I know there is some shore excursion that does that, but I really don't want to pay the money for it as well as have to keep to their schedule. I just want to get off the ship, go to a beach, hang out with my wife and do some swimming and snorkeling and then head back when we are done. It'll be a fraction of the cost to do it this way, and we can go and return on our own schedule as well as go to downtown Cabo if we want afterwards.

I looked at the ship's excursion packages, and they want anywhere from $46 a person to upwards of $76 a person to take you 1 mile from the tender to a beach! I know that some resorts on Medano beach will let cruisers in for a day for a very small fee or no fee at all if you buy food and drinks, so why pay their outrageous prices?

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 1st, 2006, 12:50 AM
Admiral

Yet another reason to do this day on my own, it seems that almost all of the shore excursions have weight limits attached to them. I'm 6'4" and 265lbs and all the snorkeling excursions have 220lbs weight limits. If I want to snorkel, I have to do it on my own! I don't understand why, all my cruises to the caribbean I snorkeled on an RCCL shore excursion and they didn't have weight limits.

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 1st, 2006, 04:44 PM
Admiral

blueliner,

I know there is some shore excursion that does that, but I really don't want to pay the money for it as well as have to keep to their schedule. I just want to get off the ship, go to a beach, hang out with my wife and do some swimming and snorkeling and then head back when we are done. It'll be a fraction of the cost to do it this way, and we can go and return on our own schedule as well as go to downtown Cabo if we want afterwards.

1. Good luck going ashore "when you want" if you are going ashore on your own. Cabo San Lucas is a tender port and shore excursions have priority on the tenders, so you will have to wait until a tender has a seat available. On most ships, the wait is usually over an hour unless you wait until lunchtime to go ashore.

2. Some of the beach excursions use taxis for return transportation from the beach facilities. On those excursions, you can return to the ship whenever you wish.

3. The taxi fares, day admission to a beach facility, beverages, etc., may well tally to more than the cost of the shore excursions, depending where you go and what you do.

But it's your choice.

Norm.
Old July 1st, 2006, 10:01 PM
First Mate

Having recently been to Cabo (last October) I can tell you that you will be off the ship long before noon on a tender. I was on Radiance OTS and we arrived in Cabo at 9am. We had tix for the boat tour out to Lands End late in the afternoon and we were off the ship about an hour and half after the ship dropped anchor. Granted... you wont be first off the ship, but you will be off before noon. Excursions usually are off the ship within an hour. Usually, if you have paid for a excursion with private operator, the cruise line will let you get off in time to make your tour.

Cannot tell you about which beaches may or may not be crowded, but you might check into the beach resorts and hotels in the area. They might be your best option at finding a nice quieter beach with the amenities for which you are looking.

I don't recommend taking the ships excursions out to Lands End as they are way overpriced. Most are about $40. When the ship departs Cabo, you will go right by the Arches and will get a great opportunity to take great pictures from your balcony or the deck. As far as sea life around the arches... don't plan on seeing any while on the tours. There is so much activity in the area, any sealife has forced out by tour operators.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old July 1st, 2006, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscguy2
Having recently been to Cabo (last October) I can tell you that you will be off the ship long before noon on a tender. I was on Radiance OTS and we arrived in Cabo at 9am. We had tix for the boat tour out to Lands End late in the afternoon and we were off the ship about an hour and half after the ship dropped anchor. Granted... you wont be first off the ship, but you will be off before noon. Excursions usually are off the ship within an hour. Usually, if you have paid for a excursion with private operator, the cruise line will let you get off in time to make your tour.

Cannot tell you about which beaches may or may not be crowded, but you might check into the beach resorts and hotels in the area. They might be your best option at finding a nice quieter beach with the amenities for which you are looking.

I don't recommend taking the ships excursions out to Lands End as they are way overpriced. Most are about $40. When the ship departs Cabo, you will go right by the Arches and will get a great opportunity to take great pictures from your balcony or the deck. As far as sea life around the arches... don't plan on seeing any while on the tours. There is so much activity in the area, any sealife has forced out by tour operators.
Thanks, i've heard from some and seen many reviews that said the cruise line's excursions to Lands End was way overpriced. I just found out a co-worker of mine has a timeshare in Cabo, and gave me a lot of good info on the beaches and getting around in Cabo and where to go. He said there are SO many tour boats that go to the arch and lovers beach, no need to pay the ship's prices for this.

I see that we have been on a couple of the same ships (Enchantment and the Mariner). How is the weather in the Riviera during October since you have been there?

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
First Mate

Two words....

Very hot!!

The hottest days were stops in Mazatlan and Ixtapa. I don't thing there was a day when the temp was under 85... most of the days were close to 95. The only cool days (in 70s) were the first day out of port in San Diego, and the last day at sea.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old July 13th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Vision last October and it was HOT, HOT, HOT in port! Even so we had a great time, were very grateful there was cheap beer everywhere and I am not usually a beer drinker! In Cabo we went down to pick up tender tickets at about 9:15, I think we got tender #3, but they called the first three tenders together and as we were walking down there they called tenders 4-6, so everyone was basically getting of the ship at the same time. The tenders filled up fast and we were at the dock in a few minutes. I don't remember the exact time, but I know that we found a glass bottom boat tour (around $10.00 pp at the dock vs. $29.00 pp from the ship), waited about ten minutes while the guy got more passengers, and were dropping people off at Lover's Beach by 11:30. I remember this because the boat pilot told the people he was dropping off he would pick them up in 2 hours at 2:30 Cabo time, which was an hour ahead of ship time and I remember looking at my watch when he said it. So you shouldn't have any problem getting off the ship right after it drops anchor. I can't offer you any beach info because we didn't make it to a beach in Cabo. One thing about Cabo is that since it is the shortest port day on the Vision's itinerary, you really need to know what you want to do. My hubby wanted to go to Cabo Wabo, but that turned out to be a rip-off as far as we were concerned, he was glad he could say he had been there but that was about it. We enjoyed our lunch along the waterfront much more than that overpriced joint! I know a lot of people love it, but it was pretty boring there that day and we thought the drinks were ridiculously priced. Had a great overall cruise, though.