Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM
Passenger

Default help with flight time

Ok, may be panicking a bit prematurely, but we were just notified by airline that flight back has been changed. I will ask cruise agent this week, but would like to know the opinion of people that cruise frequently: if ship docks at 9 am in Miami, can we make an 11:50 flight from MIA? Keep in mind that this is in March, spring break week....thanks in advance for any advice!....Lynn
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2006, 09:06 PM
First Mate

if you get off in the first group & have no luggage problems & grab the first cab it is doable---but any delays on getting off (ship has to be cleared) & you will miss it! I'd try for a later flight to avoid stress. Inevitably we always could have made an earlier flight but never take the chance just in case....are you a risk taker or not????
Old July 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
Admiral

You could carry your own luggage off and request early departure. I think you could probably make the flight.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Marylou, thanks for the info (and hcat as well... for some reason, I can only hit "reply" to the last post visible to me, not previous ones. If anyone knows what I'm missing, please let me know) How do you request taking your own luggage off/early departure? When I called RC, they were not very helpful, I'm told it's because I booked through an agent...thanks, Lynn
Old July 2nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Admiral

At some point during the cruise, you will be give paperwork to complete that will ask for your flight information. You may even be able to put this informaton on the on-line registration form. From this information, they determine when you will get off the ship. The night before disembarkation, they will give you luggage tags of a certain color....look in the daily newspaper given to you by the ship and see what time your color will be called off the ship. If it isn't the earliest one, just take your tags down to guest relations and ask for the earliest color. They will be happy to accomodate you. I believe all you have to do to carry your own luggage off is to not put it outside your door the night before. You can ask at guest relations if this is correct or not. Good luck.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 2nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Passenger

thanks MaryLou, that was very helpful....it sounds like we'd be best off taking our own bags....it's a good thing I've got plenty of time to obsess...thanks again. lynn
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:32 AM
Admiral

Just a tip, no matter what flight you have, always tell Royal Caribbean you have the earliest flight. This is the only time I tell my friends to lie to the cruise line. If your flight is later and when you fill out the paperwork for the luggage tags you put your real flight time down, you will end up sitting on the ship for HOURS waiting. I always put down I have a before 10am flight, and I get the first color called every time. Off the ship by 8:30am!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Passenger

hmnn....I didn't realize you could do that. I thought they asked you for your flight number and they somehow "knew" when you departed. So you are saying I can say my flight is #0000, leaving at 10 am? Even if it leaves at 11:50?
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booie98
hmnn....I didn't realize you could do that. I thought they asked you for your flight number and they somehow "knew" when you departed. So you are saying I can say my flight is #0000, leaving at 10 am? Even if it leaves at 11:50?
Unless RCI makes your air travel arraingments for you, they have no way of knowing when your flight is. You will get a sheet left in your cabin about 2 days before the end of the cruise with all the disembarking information and the US Customs forms. One of the sheets is to request you luggage tags for disembarking. All they ask for on the sheet is the time frame of your flight. You mark the appropriate box, they are something like; before 10am, 10am - 10:30am, 10:30am - 11am.....so on and so on. Just mark the very first box and write down on the form you need the earliest exit, and they will give you the first color off the ship. I've done this the last 2 times, and I was off by about 8:30 - 8:45am.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Captain

Doing a back to back really showed me how fast they get EVERYONE off the ship (this was Radiance). Within 90 minutes, almost all gone and in the next 1/2 hour, all the stragglers were off.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
First Mate

If you are going to self-disembark, you don't need to tell anyone (although I did alert the cabin steward, so he wouldn't worry about why we didn't put our luggage out).

One tip, though. If you are going to do this, be at the elevators and ready when they call for it. On Freedom, this was at 6:30am. We were off the ship almost immediately and at the airport before 7:15 am.

If you wait, even 5-10 minutes, you'll get caught in the crowds. Be *ready* and don't dilly dally.

It's actually a great way to leave. It always stinks, having to get off the ship. Self-assist is akin to pulling off a band-aid really really fast.

Tracy
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Passenger

Tracy, if we carry our own bags off, which I actually prefer, how do we know what "color" or group we are in so that we can be ready? Do we still fill out the form, get tags from steward, and just keep them and leave when that color is called? Thanks, Lynn
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:34 PM
First Mate

You won't have a color. You don't need to fill anything out, and don't need any tags. They will make a special announcement before any colors are called, for people choosing self-assist to disembark.

All you need to do is make sure to wake up early!
Tracy
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Passenger

well I'm certainly learning alot on these boards...based on my TA's advice, and a few others, I've switched my flight. Now instead of leaving too early, we don't leave until 4 in the afternoon. Soooo....here's my last question on this topic and thank you for your patience!: if we have a later flight, and don't fill out the forms/get tags because we want to keep our luggage with us (I was never a big fan of putting it outside the night before)...will they kick us off in the earliest group? Can we "loiter" if we are self assist? Thanks! Lynn
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:50 AM
First Mate

If your flight isn't until later, why on earth would you want to haul your luggage around the ship with the crowds? YUCK! Get the tags and have a nice relaxing breakfast.

If you self-assist and linger, it just adds to the clogging of the elevators and stairwells. Relax, luggage-free....that's my advice, FWIW

Tracy
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Admiral

totally agree with you on that one Tracy! as a matter of fact, why don't you book a post-cruise excursion? that way you won't even have to deal with your luggage, it will go on the bus with you to your excursion.
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Passenger

excellent points tracy and lisa...thanks! Lynn
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:56 PM
First Mate

A post cruise excurson is a great idea. we took one from Ft lauderdale when we had a late flight. we got off early with no hassles & had a great tour that ended at the airport with our luggage--there was still extra time to kill but it was a nice way to end the vacation with a final excursion....I think there are one or two offerings from MIA that you might like...
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Passenger

Go on an excursion!

We did enjoy the Everglades airboat ride.

Getting home is a drag especially if you have a long wait either on the boat or at the airport.

Have Fun!
Old July 12th, 2006, 05:26 PM
StephenAGoreJr

I've never understood why people are SO ready to get off the ship. I always want to take my time but being with my father he rushes us, then being a diamond member that moves the process along even faster.
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Luggage Valet

Here's an even better idea for your luggage.

Use the new Luggage Valet service. Especially now that you have a later flight, you probably will regret lugging a bunch of (heavy) bags around all day. Fill out the Luggage Valet application that you will find in your stateroom on the first or second day of your cruise. Luggage Valet works with most of the major airlines, but not Southwest Airlines (yet.)
You will provide your flight information on the application, and RCI will arrange for your boarding passes and baggage receipts. You will be given your boarding passes (including all connections) and special luggage tags for (up to) 2 bags person.
You put the bags in the hallway before 11:00 p.m. on the last night of your cruise, just like normal. The last morning, you can leave the ship anytime, as Luggage Valet customers receive priority disembarking. You won't see your bags again until you arrive at baggage pick-up at your final destination. It is well worth the $10-$15 per person charge which is added to your SeaPass account.
This frees you up to explore the port city on your last day without worrying about your luggage. We just used it in Seattle and it was wonderful!
Let us know if you have any questions about Luggage Valet.
LL
Old July 16th, 2006, 04:41 PM
First Mate

LL,
I don't believe this service is available at all ports yet. I know that Seattle and San Juan have it, not sure about Miami (although there is an American Airlines booth at the pier after you go through customs)
Tracy
Old July 21st, 2006, 08:50 AM
Passenger

does anyone know if Continental has a truck at the Miami pier to check your luggage in, I know they used to years ago.
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
Passenger

Good tips. My cruise will be docking in Miami at 8AM on Fri. Had a 12:15 flight out of Ft Lauderdale. Just found out the flight has been changed to 11. Do you think I will make it? I will try to carry off my own bags like you said & be sure to get off early. I think I should get my own transfer to the airport. I do not want to chance taking the Royal Caribbean transfer. Any suggestions on reserving a car, taxi, transfer service? How much - estimate? Thanks
ps I don't want to change my flight. The next flight out is 2:30 & it is not a non stop. I will get home late. Doesn't seem to be any convienent flights out after mine. Of course if I miss it I will have to take one of those but would really really like to make it on that one!
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Passenger

I would change your flight. Thats cutting it close. Altho usually they let people off the ship with early flights. If you booked thru cruise line I would give them a call and see what they think, or call your travel agent.
Old July 29th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammie
Good tips. My cruise will be docking in Miami at 8AM on Fri. Had a 12:15 flight out of Ft Lauderdale. Just found out the flight has been changed to 11. Do you think I will make it? I will try to carry off my own bags like you said & be sure to get off early. I think I should get my own transfer to the airport. I do not want to chance taking the Royal Caribbean transfer. Any suggestions on reserving a car, taxi, transfer service? How much - estimate? Thanks
ps I don't want to change my flight. The next flight out is 2:30 & it is not a non stop. I will get home late. Doesn't seem to be any convienent flights out after mine. Of course if I miss it I will have to take one of those but would really really like to make it on that one!
You would have no problem getting a taxi when you leave the ship. They are lined up waiting. We used a taxi our last cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, and it was about $15 with tip. Might be a little more for Miami. You will just want to let them know you have a early flight, so you can get off the ship first.
Old July 30th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Passenger

How does this valet thing work? Dont you have to clear customs with your bags?