Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Passenger

Default Babies on Board

Has anyone here ever taken a baby on a cruise? I thought it may be nice for myself, my husband and our baby to go on a cruise together mid-next year. The baby would be about 6 months old by then.

Has anyone ever done this? If so, did you find you had a good time? Also, do you think RCL would charge full price for an infant?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Admiral

you will get a whole lot of information if you post your question on the Family Cruising board.
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Beginner

As long as you have respect to other passengers sailing with you, I have no problem with infants on board. Many will insist that you will regret bringing a child that young, but as long as you go with the obvious assumption that there will be limits as to what you can and can't do, I say go and have a great time with your family. Just my $.02.
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Passenger

We are cruising with our 5 month old in september. There is a mommy and me type class on the RCCI ships. We started vacationing with our son when he was 6 months old. This is a great time to go with them because they will sleep anywhere, the stroller, snuggli etc. They are also not mobile so they can sit in the high chair or lounge chair etc. with out being annoyed about not moving. Take a few dinners out prior to the cruise, and then make sure the baby is used to sleeping anywhere, nap in the car seat, the pack and play in another room, just "train" them to sleep in places besides the crib. YOu will have a blast!

Kim
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

There is a charge for a child no matter how old. Depending on which cruise you take depends on how much. The child will be charged the 3rd passenger rate. Sometimes I've taken advantage specials where it can be as low as $100 plus port fees and taxes.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Beginner

Hi,I am going on the Enchanment in September, My son will be 9 months I am very scared especially since he was a premature baby. Just scared that he may get sick. The cruse line is charging me 259.00 plus tax for him. I think that this is horrible. He is not going to take up any space, he is not going to eat nor swim so why am I paying so much. I am not asking for him to cruise free but this price is crazy. What is he paying for? But good luck. I will say if this is your first cruise it would be better that you leave your baby with a loved one,you really need to get the whole cruise experience.

Fantasy 2002
Magesty Of The Seas 2004
Old July 8th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Admiral

I'm putting on my flameproof suit now !

I just don't understand why anyone would want to take an infant on a cruise (or even a land vacation). They won't remember it and it seems to me that it would really be better to leave them with Grandma so a couple can have some "us" time. Personally, I'd wait until they're old enough to enjoy the children's activities.

Infants do make work for the staff. They "make" garbage (pun intended ), they sleep in cribs that have to be set up and have the sheets changed. They usually need formula or baby food.

They are counted as a passenger in the manifest. There's a maximum number of passengers allowed on ships. So an infant does take up space that could be sold to an older passenger who would spend more $$$!

All that being said, I've seen infants on board and the staff absolutely LOVE them. Many of the staff have babies at home who they miss terribly.

The babies will get more attention than they've ever had in their lives .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Passenger

Fern,
Definately don't want to flame, just want to give you my side. Its not about the baby remembering the trip. For me its about having a week of uninterupted time. I unfortuantely have to work full time in order to support my family. I work overnights so that I only miss about 9 hours of my children's awake time per week. I often only sleep every other night with 1-2 hour naps on the off days. I am thrilled to have a week with my kids that I don't have to cook dinner, pick up the house or do the laundry. I want to be able to play with them uninterupted. My husband and I were married for several years prior to the arrival of my kids. We had plenty of time to ourselves then and know that in a very short period of time we will plenty of us time. Right now our kids are our priority. If we both live to our 80's we will have had twice as much time alone than we have had with our kids. THat said our son loved the Carnival kids program and went for 2-3 hours per day. He loved to see the shows at night with us, and loved to tour the islands. We took him for his 2nd birthday and he talks about being on the ship now that he is 3 1/2. I remember vacationing with my parents at 3 1/2. He is looking forward to our freedom cruise and adventure ocean. Selfishly its not about them, its about me, its about me remembering the smiles on their faces when they see something new, its about the belly laugh and the awe that they have when flaming deserts are served on the heads of waiters. Sadly, I work in a position where I see people lose their children. I want to experience as much as I can as often as I can with them, you never know what tommorow will bring. Besides if you read my tag line, they don't slow you down, they just increase your baggage allowance, you would be shocked to see what I can cram in the seat of my carseat when it is in its bag, and of course car seats don't count toward your baggage allowance!

Kim
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Thanks for your POV, ryanandsara'smom!

It's great that you get to spend time with your kids without all the "work" that goes with it! What wonderful memories you have!

I don't consider a two year old an infant. They're old enough to be "real" people !

How old is your Sara?

I'm guessing that you're a nurse? If so, I'd like to thank you! I consider nursing one of the hardest jobs in the world, and nurses are just as underpaid as teachers!

Sea Princess 2014
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:16 PM
First Mate

As a single, childless woman, I'll take a ship full of infants over say....oh, 13-17 year old girls...the "nightmare" demographic!!!

Not trying to draw flames...just chuckles.
Tracy
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Passenger

Sara will be 5 months when we sail...I am a nurse, and I would never do anything else. I am blessed to be able to touch and be touched...(No wrong ideas!) I am appart of some of the happiest and the lowest point of peoples lives. The perseverence of the human spirit is amazing..That said I am with Tracy, I fear the teen girl days!

Kim
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Passenger

Fern, my husband and I have cruised with RCL a few times and found it very relaxing. No cooking, no cleaning, food ready made, activities as we please, plenty of pool time, sun time, etc.
We think going on a cruise will be a nice way for US to relax and for us to spend time with our new baby.
I wouldn't imagine disturbing passengers. If our baby couldn't handle going out for dinner to the dining room, we would be more than happy eating at the Windjammer.
Just want to have a fun vacation. Just because we have a new baby, we don't believe we need to stop cruising.
We think it may be a lot of fun!
Old July 10th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Hi everyone!

I guess I've been voted down ! You all have had wonderful times on cruises with your babies ! Since I've never done it, I bow to your expert opinions .

I hope you continue to enjoy your "baby on board" cruises!

Kim, I'm glad I was right about you being a nurse. I'd like to thank you for your service to your patients. Nurses have made such a difference in both my life, my DH's life, and my dear late parent's lives!

Sea Princess 2014
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Yeoman

I LOVE babies! And if you want to have them with you during your cruise then by all means bring them along! I couldn't stand leaving that young of a child with relatives. But I wouldn't be going on a cruise if I had that young of a child.
If you all do take your infants - PLEASE be respectful of your fellow passengers. Please don't take you babies in the pool or the hot tubs. Even if you put them is "swim pants" there is still leakage! If they begin screaming during dinner, please excuse yourself and take them out of the dinning room until they are calmed down. Same thing if you take them in the show room with you.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Beginner

I am new to this site, and haven't cruised since my honeymoom 13 years ago. 1st time to R.C. and first time with children.

From reading these posts, I'm just wondering... am I getting ripped off for my price for 3rd party guests?

I'm paying $878. Previous posts on this thread were complaining about paying in the $200 range. I'd be doing a dance of joy for that at this point.

We are traveling in an inside cabin and will have our 9 yr. old, our 2 yr. old and our 1 yr. old.

TIA for any info.

~ Sue
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Passenger

Hi! We are in the process of planning our first cruise and taking our kids-age 1 and 3. Each BODY on the cruse is counted and charged, the way I understand it is the discount comes in when you are booking a 3rd person regardless if baby or adult. I could be wrong, but this is what I have been getting from travel agents, etc.
I'm here to gain info too!! Good luck-maybe we'll be on the same cruise. =)
I think we are going early December-GREAT RATES. Royal Carribean

Carla
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Passenger

My husband and I went on a cruise 5 years ago with some family members who do not have any children. At that time we had a 4 and a 2 year old that we left when grandma back at home. Every night that we were at dinner there was this couple with children next to us ,and all they did was cry and throw stuff.The parents did their best to control it but wasnt enough. My husband and I thought nothing of it because we have children and know what it is like so it didnt bother us we were just thankful that we didnt have to control the kids. As far as the rest of our family they were not happy one bit,reason they dont have children. So I say if your children can sit nice through a dinner without throwing fits or if your willing to get up and leave than by all means bring your children.Just remember that there are pp out there that think resturants are no place for children.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Beginner

My kids are 24 & 20. They traveled with me all the time. Even as infants. I was the parent that didn't want to leave my kids with grandparents, aunts & uncles. I would be a nervous reck. Even when they were 16 & 12 my husband and I went on a cruise with co-workers and left the kids with my parents. It just didn't feel right. My 24 year old has a 4 month old son and we cant wait to take him on his first cruise next year !!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Loved cruising with my boys when they were infants. Did southern carib. on the Monarch my son was 10 months old dressed him in his little sailor outfits. He was not walking yet so that was a plus I'd put him in the stroller and off we went. I did everything I wanted to do an infant did not stop me. He would take his afternoon nap at the pool or at the beach.

ahhhh babies are so cute and grow up so fast go on your cruise with your baby and enjoy!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Fern,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I just don't understand why anyone would want to take an infant on a cruise (or even a land vacation). They won't remember it and it seems to me that it would really be better to leave them with Grandma so a couple can have some "us" time. Personally, I'd wait until they're old enough to enjoy the children's activities.
Many people have circumstances in which leaving an infant with grandma and grandpa simply is not an option. Death, distance, and other factors often enter the picture. The issue is not whether the infant will remember anything. Rather, the issue is whether the parents get to cruise at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Infants do make work for the staff. They "make" garbage (pun intended ), they sleep in cribs that have to be set up and have the sheets changed. They usually need formula or baby food.
Unfortunately, many adults leave messes behind that are just as bad due to medical issues, amorous activities, excessive drinking, and even just plain uncivilized behavior. By comparison, baby food and clean sheets on a crib are easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
They are counted as a passenger in the manifest. There's a maximum number of passengers allowed on ships. So an infant does take up space that could be sold to an older passenger who would spend more $$$!
Yes, there are limits. OTOH, parents with an infant are likely to pay for baby sitting services (if offered by the line) and to buy souvenirs in infant sizes at the gift shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
All that being said, I've seen infants on board and the staff absolutely LOVE them. Many of the staff have babies at home who they miss terribly.

The babies will get more attention than they've ever had in their lives .
Yes, absolutely!

And this is not specifically directed at you, but rather a general comment related to this topic. Sometimes many people seem to forget that children, and even infants, also are people -- living, breathing, human beings -- and deserve to be treated as such. This means that they deserve to be able to go where other people can go and receive suitable accommodations when they travel. The family pets, for example, do not share this place in human society.

Norm.
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Admiral

celeste18,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi,I am going on the Enchanment in September, My son will be 9 months I am very scared especially since he was a premature baby. Just scared that he may get sick. The cruse line is charging me 259.00 plus tax for him. I think that this is horrible. He is not going to take up any space, he is not going to eat nor swim so why am I paying so much. I am not asking for him to cruise free but this price is crazy. What is he paying for? But good luck. I will say if this is your first cruise it would be better that you leave your baby with a loved one,you really need to get the whole cruise experience.
Your son is extra work for the staff. They have to change his sheets, set up and break down his crib, clean up whatever messes he might make in the public spaces, etc. The ship must provide a special life jacket for him, which means that the cruise line must purchase and maintain those life jackets. Also, the ship must load and deliver the supplies (diapers, etc.), equipment (travel playpen/crib, stroller, etc.), toys, stuffed animals, and other accessories that you bring for him. And don't forget that the ports apply the same port charges for him as for an adult because he is on the manifest as a passenger.

When I think about what's involved, $259 sounds like a phenomenal bargain!

Norm.