Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Default Thoughts on CCL vs RCCL need help!

Just back off the CCL Fascination. I need help!. I (we) are thinking of another cruise, a short 3 dayer in Oct. and then I want to book next summers cruise. I am thinking about RCCL for the 3 dayer i think its the enchantment of the seas 88,000 ton boat so, similiar to the fascination. Then for the summer I am looking at one of the mega ships and this time a 7 day cruise. so i am going to list what I am looking for in a cruise some of which I either got or didn't get on the Fascination. So can anyone compare:

Kid camps on board- on carnival the kids seemed to be with us more than they werent except for the evenings but this may be due to taking a 5 day which is really 4 day cruise with only one sea day.

Food- a little disappointed with the food on my ship how bout RCCL

party atmosphere_- would like to have seen more entertainment around the pool ie: music. I had to use my ipod just to get this except for the short time for 2 of the days that a raggae band came out.

Not being bothered for drinks every 30 seconds- this was wheremy ipod came in handy cause I couldn't hear them asking and kept my eyes closed. my friend was livid about this though while he was trying to read.

also price, it seems RCCL is a little more expensive than carnival. for instance I recieved a PH suite on ccl where the same cost would get me an ocean view on RCCL.

I am not negative on carnival. I think my 6 mo anticipation and chatting on these boards hyped the whole cruise thing up a bit so I think after a second or third cruise is when I will be able to judge whether or not cruising is the greatest experience on earth or not. Of course the experience of someone traveling with little kids( i have a 5,7,14yo boys) cannot compare with say just a couple going together so I am looking for an unbiased opinion of the 2 lines without playing favorites. any thoughts? I also posted this on the CCL thread. Thanx

which is more of a party atmosphere and why?
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Sovereign and Majesty do 3 and 4 nighters. Enchantment does 4 and 5 nighters. I have done all 3 mutiple times. RCI far superior to Carnival in this class. I have done the Sensation, sister to Fascination. So I can make an informed comparison.

If you like the Fascination you will love RCI. If you like the Motel 6, You will love the Hilton. I have written on this topic before but here is how I can best decide where I would rather be....

Here....

or here....

Here....

or here?

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Admiral

I get the drift! I am assuming the 2 pics are on similiar size ships? I am leaning towards RCL for the next cruise just so I know that it was the ship and not me. To be honest I feel if I was the CD for the ship I was on it would have been a world of difference. I have read some of your threads and seen some of you pics in the gallery I have a feeling you and I would be best buds on a cruise( just read my "It's official" thread on the CCL board and you'll see why). All I wanted to do was party and it seemed evertime the party started it was killed somehow but something. My friend just returned from the Freedom and he has been cruising for years and actually worked on a ship years ago and he keeps directing me to RCCL. He said that you don't really need a boat that size that the slightly smaller ones were just as good and had just as many amenities. Tell me this, why when comparing the 2 lines do people seem to think ccl is more of a party like atmosphere?
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I think you are right. We would have fun. I like to party and I do! But there is a difference between a red neck keg party and a nice cocktail party. (No offense to anyone) But I felt out of place on the Carnival ship because I did not have any tattoos or a NASCAR hat.

You have to compare similar ships, itineraries and dates to make a fair comparison. When you do, you will find Carnival even higher sometimes. Compare Fantasy to Sovereign, Fascination to Majesty. The Enchantment is nicer than either. Do the 4 if you can.

Here is a great pic of the Sovereign pool (same as Majesty)

Now here compare a day at sea of the two pooldecks from a similar angle. Notice the splash area around the perimeter of the pool. The Fantasy class pool is like climbing into a well. it looks like the public pool at the commuity center in mid-town. What is up with those ugly colors!?!?!?!

and here

I can do with out the slide. I like to dual pools on the open deck instead.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Admiral

I, by no means am a high class guy. No tats here ( why ruin a perfect body!) and I don't have the number "3" on the back of my car! I gotta tell ya man I tried hard to get some people around the pool to have some fun but couldn't get it going! People seemed consumed with eating! I can't tell you the class of people on RCI cause I haven't sailed it but I can usually find a way to fit in wherever I am. So I gotta work it out with the wife and see which cruise I can hop on next summer. I heard that when you sail on the 3 day to the Bahamas you go to a place called coco cay and that this island is owned by RCI and that when they go there RCI puts on a barbacue and party for you ever done this?
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
I, by no means am a high class guy. No tats here ( why ruin a perfect body!) and I don't have the number "3" on the back of my car! I gotta tell ya man I tried hard to get some people around the pool to have some fun but couldn't get it going! People seemed consumed with eating! I can't tell you the class of people on RCI cause I haven't sailed it but I can usually find a way to fit in wherever I am. So I gotta work it out with the wife and see which cruise I can hop on next summer. I heard that when you sail on the 3 day to the Bahamas you go to a place called coco cay and that this island is owned by RCI and that when they go there RCI puts on a barbacue and party for you ever done this?
A 3 or 4 night cruise on RCCL to the Bahamas will make a stop at Coco Cay. It's a great island with just about everything you need and don't need for a great day. You are tendered to the island, there are many beaches and different water sports and activities. You can lay on the beach, in a hammock or in a chair. You can para-sail and there are special kids places as well. They do a BBQ and have fully stocked bars which take the seapass card, and even a small market with some t-shirt and trinket shops. A very great place to spend a day.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Cococay is great! Took my son on the jet ski tour and had a blast.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Another question. do you know if RCI gives a military discount. I received this on CCL even for being past military. Worked out to be $500 for my cruise!
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Passenger

I would say RCCL is a little more upsale. All lines tho have people bugging you for drinks tho lol. I dont go to pool much, so cant help ya there. It also depends alot sometimes on what ship you are on, time of year etc. Some of RCCL food was better, but then again we liked alot of the CCL food too. All I can say is you have to try it to see if its for you or not.
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillgunter
I would say RCCL is a little more upsale. All lines tho have people bugging you for drinks tho lol. I dont go to pool much, so cant help ya there. It also depends alot sometimes on what ship you are on, time of year etc. Some of RCCL food was better, but then again we liked alot of the CCL food too. All I can say is you have to try it to see if its for you or not.
Thanks for the post but what do you mean by "upsale"
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Passenger

Truthfully RCL get a better class of people - there I said it. I have sailed on both ships & those are just the facts - at least from this side of my nose.
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Admiral

I wholeheartledly agree!!!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Dae The Wave...of course you would say that, you are talking about yourself and your platinum status on RCI !! If you cruised another line, would that ship for that week be of higher quality people !

IMHO..who (or what groups) is/are on the ship on any given week drives more than then ship facilities..It seems that when you get a good group onboard, the crew likes the warmth more and works harder to provide for the guest (the guest make the crew fell appreciated)

Some of my best cruises ever, have been on the smaller older ships (regardless of cruise lines), with a really great crew and cruise director

Now I will admit in my old age I have become somewhat bias..I have gone on three theme( half charter/full charter) cruises on Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Holland American and loved all 3 but I suspect it is because the group on board at those times had a common theme and made the week..there were no "higher/lower" class of people, just people that loved music, culture and sports
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Venice,

You can call me Diamond Dave. You are quite right. The experience can vary greatly by the group or groups that are onboard for that particular sailing. I was speaking in general terms though. I have only been on one Carnival cruise so I can not judge the whole line and fleet or fellow cruisers by that one experience. It may have been the drunken girl that followed me to my cabin and puked in the hall when I wouldn't let her in that soured my experience.

But the pictures I posted above tell the story about the difference in decor and the pooldecks. The pooldeck is where I am in all my glory so it is important to me.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Diamond Dave..wow, I'm impressed..I have to do 2 more cruise on RCI to catch up with you and that could be awhile..next May on the Freedom of the Seas will be my 9th.. Most of the smooth jazz theme cruises are on Holland American, and due to their cost, I can only afford 1 per year so I'll let you know when we can use the same priority check in line

As the posting come in about the Freedom it appears that with all the water activities, you and the boys will die and go to heaven when you cruise on her..In your honor I may post a picture on these boards next May while I'm surfing in my speedo's
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Can't wait! I PM'd you a pic of my prospective cruise buddy. Let me know what you think. I will trust your judgement.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with Venice, regardless of when you sail or which ship you sail on, the passengers set the tone immediately for the type of cruise experience you will have on board. When there are fun fellow passengers traveling with you, it is contagious and everyone gets drawn into the fun (including the staff). I have sailed on 3 day itineraries on both the Majesty and Fascination and both ships have positives and negatives. I thought the food on the Majesty was horrible and ate a lot of bread and butter and washed it down with a lot of beer. Other than the night they decorate the Lido Deck for the deck party, it was very boring at night on the Majesty. The Fascination will be going into dry dock in January so think they are holding it together until then and maybe started planning crew changes, etc., already. Don't know if this would affect the party atmosphere but as mentioned earlier, it's the passengers who set the tone. I've sailed on Carnival's Glory and Valor, identical ships except for decor and much prefer the Valor...great crew, better food (even tho it's the same menu), just a fun ship to sail on. I think I'd have to go with Royal Caribbean for a 3 nighter but much prefer Carnival for longer cruises (my personal choice). And, don't book the Majesty because they stop at Coco Cay, they cancel this stop all the time if the seas are rough. Yes, Dave, I do have tattoos, could that be why I prefer Carnival?? NOT, that's the dumbest thing I ever heard of.
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Admiral

No, offense. Actually I saw a lot of tattos on RCI last time too. A few tasteful ones are OK, but there seems to be this "the more the merrier" thing going on and when people have less skin untattoed than tattooed, I think it is too much. I just think people are getting carried away with it. That is just my opinion. I prefer to leave my skin the way God gave it to me.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Diamond Dave..alot of the tattos today are the type that wear off after 7 days (they look pretty real) and it's real popular with the younger set (ask your boys)

Certain tattos done in very discreet places, can be palatable to the eye and can be helpful to help i.d. the person if they go overboard

I'm surprised you don't have a tattoo that says "Diamond Dave" with a Royal Caribbean Logo and your Diamond # (VBG)
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Admiral

I have enough bad habits, I don't need another.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

I haven't traveled on CCL as many times as I have RCI... but i would still like to make a comparisson... CCL is a more relaxed atmosphere... like you're on a cruise with everyone from the neighborhood and you don't like them... but you tolerate them for the week... the staff is always friendly but hey half of them speak so little english you have to bring a translator book with you to convey what you want. However if you are on the cruise with a large group of your closest buddies... and have no need for the cruise staff which 1/2 the time dont show up for scheduled trivia... then by all means Go on CCL...

BUT if you want to spend your time on an open and friendly cruise with superb staff... where everybody knows your name... and they're really glad you came... With so many activities everyday you will always be entertained... a slightly upscale line for the middleclass family customer... they know they're clientelle very well and they know what they want and how to give it to them in a bright shiny package... then RCI is for you...
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Admiral

I am looking into trying RCI next I just want to make sure I can get my family of 5 in one cabin. I guess the only way to really compare is to go on a RCI ship. A point can be made that fellow cruisers affect your experience. I just want a cruise full of sun, fun, plenty of music by the pool that I don't need my Ipod, lots of cute blonds to look at, a bar close by (waiters bothering me every 30 seconds was annoying) and surround myself with people who like to have fun!

DTW the standard answer to the TAT question should be "would you finger paint over a picasso"?......My standard answer!!
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Admiral

rescuedad,

I am looking into trying RCI next I just want to make sure I can get my family of 5 in one cabin. I guess the only way to really compare is to go on a RCI ship. A point can be made that fellow cruisers affect your experience. I just want a cruise full of sun, fun, plenty of music by the pool that I don't need my Ipod, lots of cute blonds to look at, a bar close by (waiters bothering me every 30 seconds was annoying) and surround myself with people who like to have fun!

DTW the standard answer to the TAT question should be "would you finger paint over a picasso"?......My standard answer!!

The comments from other posters about the two lines and their passengers seem to be pretty consistent with what I have heard in other places.

Regarding fitting a family of five into a single cabin, several of Roryal Caribbean's new ships have "family" staterooms that will accommodate that many people comfortably. These cabins generally have a bunk room that sleeps up to four and some additional closet space in addition to the main bedroom area. The catch is that the newer ships that would have these cabins generally do cruises of seven nights or longer, so they might not be a viable option if a short cruise is your goal.

Norm.
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
First Mate

OK
Old August 11th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Admiral

It's all in fun Chris. Glad you enjoy... When is your next Carnival cruise?

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:44 AM
StephenAGoreJr

"tattoo on the lower back, might as well be a bullseye" I used to not like tattoo's but then I love a hott girl with one on the lower back or in some other NICE places 8) I would like to see who on this board knows where my quote i put at the beginning of this post comes from...its a movie people...
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Admiral

Wedding Crashers !!!
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Dave
you are killing me with those pool pics....our next cruise is to Halifax so no pool time there--have to wait til Dec on Enchantment!
we cruise Royal Carib & Celeb so can't say for sure abt Carnival--when I look through the brochures the decor to me is a bit garish- I think Royal has the nicest ships--lots of brass & glass & great layouts with lots of places to have fun... In honesty though, the food while good is not excellent cuisine & the demographics of the pax lately are a bit differnet than in the past. Last trip, on Brilliance, the rap music being played in the shopping area really annoyed me. Over all though I think the descriptions above are apt--you will have fun but not a party til you pas out experience (IMHO)
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Hcat,

Glad you recognize the difference. But I don't cruise for the food anyway. By the time I eat dinner, I am so hungry it doesn't matter anyway.

Yes, rap is crap and annoys the hell out of me too. Do they really think people like that stuff??

The Carnies may disagree, but do the RCI ships are much nicer, especially the pool areas.

Have a good one!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Admiral

d
Dave, I have to agree with you on "rap is crap". Nothing worse than pulling into a gas station to fill up and someone in the car next to you is blasting that crap through their speakers and you can't hear yourself think. I feel like going up to them and asking them if they wondered if I really wanted to hear their awfull music! Bob