Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Beginner

Default Buyers' Remorse?

Has anyone else had first-time cruise buyer's remorse? My wife, toddler son, and I are scheduled to go on RCI's Mexican Riviera Cruise this fall. Up to this point, I've been all positive for it, but my wife has been very hesitant.

You know, the same worries: seasickness, child having fun, enough things to do as a family, food quality, etc...but it seems recently it's picked up even more due to the bad press Cruises are getting in the news. Such as: George Smith's bloody disappearance on RCI's ship and today's "listing" of the Princess Cruise ship in Florida where people were several people injured and a few hospitalized.

As the cruise gets closer, I think my wife's worries are starting to suck me in. I am wondering if the cost will be worth it and if I am going to hate it. Weird stuff always seems to happen to us on trips and most of the time we just "go with the flow" and laugh about it...but on a cruise I don't know.

Anyways, I am sure many of you first timers had some kind of the same worries before your first cruise, right?? Or am I the only one??
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Yeoman

For our honeymoon, my soon to be husband booked a 7 night cruise. I had never cruised before and all I could think of was "What if...." What if I hate it, what if I get sick, what if I don't like the food.... I thought this was going to be a horrible way to start off a marriage. But by the 2nd day of our cruise, I was asking him if we could book another cruise the next year. We have gone on at least one cruise each year since. You should be fine! I know it's worrysome since you put out all that money but I'm sure you'll have a great time. Very few people regret taking a cruise!
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Admiral

focus on the positive, don't dwell on the negative. The positives of cruising FAR out weigh the negatives. Good news doesn't get press coverage, only bad.
The kids programs on RCCL are top notch.
The ships have wonderful stabalizers to give a nice smooth ride. Yes you will feel some motion, you are on a moving vessel, but most find the motion very soothing.
You can choose to do as much as you want to on board or to do nothing but veg by the pool, thats one great aspect of cruising.
Relax, have a blast, have a positive attitude, get into the rhythm of ships life, go with the flow.
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Never had buyers remorse here, not even with the first cruise. I did think about sea sickness though, but I got the patch from my doctor because I've always had a problem with motion sickness, With the Patch, I've never felt the least bit sick. You dont need to worry about food quality on Royal caribbean either, you have nothing to compare it with, so you will think it is great, I've been on several cruises and have never had a bad meal.

Dont let bad press "suck you in" no matter where you go in the world you are going to hear something bad about it. There is far fewer problems on a cruise ship than there is on land.

As far as being enough things for you and your family to do, Dont worry about that either, you will be amazed, RCI has a great kids program, and there is plenty to do for you and your wife. Don't try to do everything or you'll need another vacation afterwards, just relax and have a great time.
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Admiral

mango tree,

Has anyone else had first-time cruise buyer's remorse? My wife, toddler son, and I are scheduled to go on RCI's Mexican Riviera Cruise this fall. Up to this point, I've been all positive for it, but my wife has been very hesitant.

You know, the same worries: seasickness, child having fun, enough things to do as a family, food quality, etc...but it seems recently it's picked up even more due to the bad press Cruises are getting in the news. Such as: George Smith's bloody disappearance on RCI's ship and today's "listing" of the Princess Cruise ship in Florida where people were several people injured and a few hospitalized.

As the cruise gets closer, I think my wife's worries are starting to suck me in. I am wondering if the cost will be worth it and if I am going to hate it. Weird stuff always seems to happen to us on trips and most of the time we just "go with the flow" and laugh about it...but on a cruise I don't know.

Anyways, I am sure many of you first timers had some kind of the same worries before your first cruise, right?? Or am I the only one??

This is a very common story.

By the third or fourth day of the cruise, when both your wife and your toddler are having the time of their lives, anybody who attempts to get between your wife and the future booking desk will be in grave danger.

BTW, you may find that you will have one difficulty onboard. It may be very difficult to drag your child away from the children's program when it's mealtime! (Of course, that's not a bad problem to have.)

The incidents that you hear reported in the news are very isolated, which is why they are news in the first place. Cruising is the safest and most secure way to travel anywhere in the world.

Norm.
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm guessing by the time you have read these responses you will feel a lot better, everyone seems on the same page, you will have the time of your lives. just enjoy and tell your wife to get on these message boards too, she will feel better...

happy 1st cruise, as many more to come I'm sure.
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:31 AM
First Mate

Does the site of horrendous car accidents prevent you from driving places? If a child is abducted in front of a shopping center, does it mean never patronizing shopping centers again?

If you did enough research on any vacation destination, you'd find records somewhere of horrible incidents....probably moreso than cruising. I think this is why cruising gets so much press when something happens, because it is a very unusual occurance.

By day two of your cruise, you'll already be sad about having to get off the ship..no worries!!
T
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Captain

er um...never mind.......just re-read what Tracy said ()= ;>)
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Default It's OKAY!!!!!!

This will be my 1st cruise also. You are going to have regrets and worries
because you are about to experience something totally different than the norm. I have 3 friends who have been cruising for more than 15yrs. , they have always asked me to go with them but I would turn them down. But now in November I'm going with. Just go and you will have a good time. You make your own experience depending on your attitude. Just keep reading these boards, you will be so excited about going after hearing about others vacations. Every question you could possibly have will be answered. I've found there are some very, very, reliable sources with Cruisemates. They can answer anything.
Go and have a great new life experience

Explorer of the Seas--Eastern Caribbean
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Passenger

Default YES YES YES - I do

Yes, I am having buyer's remorse as well. This is only because of what happened on the Princesses. I have cruised 2 times prior and loved it and have been wishing my summer away waiting for this vacation in Sept. I know find myself a little hesitant and would be lying if I didn't admit it. HOWEVER........When discussing these feeling with my DH he told me that there are worse ways of going (although drastic) if it were to happen, so may as well be on a cruise having the time of our lives..........got a chuckle out of it and am going to do just that.

Now I am back to ocunting the days and getting excited again.
Old July 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Passenger

it took my husband 3 years before he would step foot on a cruise (1994) and 53 cruises later I can't get him off of them, he fell in love with it. Go and have a good time, remember vacation is for relaxing and having a good time.
Old July 20th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Like anything in life - you get what you look for. If you go in looking for negatives I am sure you will find some - however if you go in looking to have fun, meet new people & enjoy yourself chances are you will find that also. This will be my daughters 7th cruise - she is 6 - we also go to Disney at least once a year - this year twice - Feb. & April - if you were to ask my daughter would she rather go to Disney or go on a Cruise (a RCCL cruise -yes we also did the Disney Cruise which in my opinion stunk) she will tell you a cruise. Why? I think it is because she is an only child & when we cruise she has a ton of other kids to play with - in Disney it's just mom & dad - though I do think we are fun people . She wakes up in the morning & the first words out of her mouth are "is the kids place open yet?". Tell you wife to relax - I am one picky woman - my license plate used to be "To Fusy" - this is a gr8 trip & she will have a good time. I wear the wrist bands from the moment I board until we disembark - I do get sea sick & have been on The Brillance of the Seas in the middle of the atlantic ocean (Fla. - Barcelona trans atlantic) in a Cat. 3 Hurricane - it was fine - bumpy - scary - but fine. Good luck - enjoy!
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:15 AM
Beginner

Thanks for all the great positive comments! You guys are the best.

I've been waiting years to go on a cruise, and I think my wife is starting to see the light too. We're about 4 months away, which is almost too much time to anxiously await the seas.

Nothing like a good ol Cruisemates' chatter to remedy a buyers' remorse
Old July 21st, 2006, 08:18 AM
Passenger

I'm actually having that too, not because we don't want to go on a cruise, but because I'm wondering if we picked the "right" ship. We are taking my Mom and her friend on the Mariner of the Seas. This will be their first cruise, so I'm anxious for her. She wanted to be on a bigger ship, but I prefer the smaller Radiance class. I hope I made the right decision, considering now, hearing how nice Freedom is, wondering if we should have done that one instead...what do others think...Its not until next year, we could probably still change.
Iberostar Quetzal - Mexico 11/06
Old July 21st, 2006, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Auggiemom; Unless "Mom" is a surfer I'd stick with the Mariner. She's a great ship and at 138,000 tons, she isn't small by any stretch of the imagination! You'll have a great time aboard,,,no doubt!
I had to almost drug my wife up to get her aboard the "Big Red Boat" for our honeymoon, but 20 years later, and over 50 cruises later, we can't wait for the next cruise. Don't worry about the negatives, and once again, think about all the great times you'll have aboard your cruise.
Ken
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Passenger

I have been on 5 cruises, and going on one Sept 3rd. I have never had a bad experience. Your family will have a great time. I think you are just getting a little worried with it being new to you. You cant let what they put on the news worry you. There are so many cruises that leave every day, and every once in a while something may happen. But thats true with any thing you do. Dont worry, go and have fun!
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Jillgunter, Which ship are you going on sept 3rd? we will be on the Freedom that date...
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamken
Jillgunter, Which ship are you going on sept 3rd? we will be on the Freedom that date...
We will be on Adventure of the Seas leaving from San Juan, southern carribean. I would love to go on that new ship, it looks really cool
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

:o SO many people I know.especially after the age of 20,are afraid to fly,afraid to cruise,afraid because they cant see land,afraid of seasickness,afraid to sink,afraid to leave the house,afraid to leave their communities.DRIVING,is the most dangerous thing we do,and,yet we take it for granted.GO on your cruise,or havnt you read the million great stories,people tell on various sites every day,OR are you telling me you believe the MEDIA,over these veteran cruise maniacs????????? 8)