Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Do you need a passport to cruise with Roya Caribbean?

My husband and I are cruising with RC in the fall and the last time we cruised 5 years ago we didn't need a passport. Is it required now to have one? [/img][/code]
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM
StephenAGoreJr

not yet, but get one so you will be ready when they do make us have them.
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Passenger

No, but it is easier. I never liked having to bring birth certificates and marriage certificates with me. After this year, you will need one though.

Navigator of the Seas - 2003
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for your replies,if we don't get our passports in time before we cruise, what are all the requirments that we should bring? I know 5yrs ago we brought our birth certificates and our driving licenses, what else is needed?
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Where aare you going out of? Because you aren't going until the fall, you have plenty of time to get them.

Believe me, its much easier b/c if you lose your birth certificates (must have a raised seal as well now), you'll have a ton of headaches.

Go down to the post office, pay the fee, go to any photo place to have the snapshots done. It's going to be a requirement anyway (it is now to fly to many countries anyway).
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Were sailing October 15, 2006, and sailing out of San Juan, PR. I remember last time we had to bring our raised seal birth certificates, what a pain that was to even locate them. I'm just worried we may not get our passports back in time, so I may pay the additional fee for them to expedite the process to be sure we get them in time.
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Deadline for passports

The latest I read, 12/31/2006 is the deadline, after which you will be required to have a passport.

LL
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

If you've already applied for them, I would think you'd get them in plenty of time. We applied for one about a month ago, said it was taking about 6-8 weeks. If not, the same requirements would apply now, the BC and the picture drivers license.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Familiar Face

To get your passport, you will need to send your original birth certificate so if you don't think you'll get it back in time, then apply for it after your cruise. But I would get one because I think after 12/2006, you will need one to travel to Canada or Mexico.

They are pretty good about their turn around time. They told me that if they say 6 weeks it will be 6 weeks. Both times we did it, we got them back when they said we would.

Alaska NB - RCI Radiance of the Seas - August 06
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Admiral

If you decide not to get your passport before your October cruise you will need: a certified raised seal or water mark copy of your original birth certificate, your drivers license and a copy of your marriage certificate(if you are a woman). When re-entering the US there are two lines at immigration. One for people w/passports and one for people with bc's. Guess which line moves quicker with less hassle, and besides that you must have your documents open and in your hand ready to present to immigration, they get really ticked off if you have to fumble for your documents,folks have been sent to the back of the line for this.
The current turn-aound time for a passport is 6-8 weeks, the closer we get to the December deadline, the longer it will take.
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Do you need a passport to cruise with Roya Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieC
My husband and I are cruising with RC in the fall and the last time we cruised 5 years ago we didn't need a passport. Is it required now to have one? [/im
][/code]
come Jan. 1 2007 you will need a passport on any cruiseline that leaves the United States or US territory.

But you should be fine for this fall.
Old July 29th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Birth certificates

If you elect to use the birth certificate, be sure it is one issued by the bureau of vital statistics (or similar governmental agency) and is an original document. I have read horror stories where people showed up at the dock with a birth document issued by the hospital where they were born. That "certificate" will not get you onboard. In addition, for the ladies, you will have to bring an original marraige license or name change document, unless your maiden name is on the ship manifest.
As stated above, the passport, while initially expensive, is a lot less hassle. Plus you can start having your passport stamped in the ports you visit!

LL
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Passenger

All you need is birthcertificate and photo id. I have never needed a marriage license, and we have taken 5 cruises. Starting next year you will need a passport tho. We got ours, only took about 5 weeks to get. It costs $97 and you need what you need to get on ship for a passport, plus two passport photos. We went to our local post office to get them.
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Admiral

I was not asked for a marriage certificate either, but my maiden name is listed as my middle name on my drivers license.

I've cruised both with and without passports and yes, it's MUCH easier with a passport.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004