Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Passenger

Default Any Sovereign of the Seas fans with honest answers

We are planning a cruise in Oct on SOS. I have read some reviews on other sites that were not very good. Has anyone sailed on SOS recently? There were lots of reviews of sewer smells, bad food, and dirty rooms and restrooms.

This is our 2nd cruise (1st was a wonderful time on Enchantment), and I know this is an older ship and smaller one so I know it will be a different experience, but is it as bad as I have read? Please be honest!!

I really enjoy this site. Thanks to all.

Happy cruising,

Michell
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sovereign of the Seas

We were on the Sovereign for a four day Bahamas cruise in May 2005. We had no complaints with the ship or crew. Food was good and service was wonderful; typical of RCI.
We learned that shorter cruises attract a different crowd of people, particularly college students, party types, high school senior trips, etc. I see that you are thinking about October, so that should be less of a problem for you. We also learned that a four day cruise just wasn't long enough.
There is nothing wrong with the ship that we noticed. Complaints such as sewage smell, etc. are usually linked to some stupid passenger putting something down a toilet that didn't come out of their body...
Go and have a good time, and don't believe everything you read on "complaint" message boards...

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old July 30th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Didn't this ship undergo a pretty heavy renovation a few years back... Isn't this the one they had on the Travel Channel?
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Yes

It was on Discovery/Travel. It was in drydock just a few months before we sailed on her...I'm thinking late 2004 or early 2005.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old July 31st, 2006, 06:02 PM
Beginner

We were on the Sovereign in April and June 2006, both of which were three night cruises. Yes, she was in drydock not long ago but I think that that 3/4 night cruises are taking their toll. The weekend party crowds don't seem to care it they damage or destroy the ships cabins and public rooms. The last time we were on in June our toilet wouldn't flush and there were black specks coming out of the faucet. We called the front desk and they did fix the toilet. As far as the sewage smell, we have not smelled it either time. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions I will try to answer them.
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have been on SOS 3 times in the past 3 years, and have another cruise planned on her for September 22. It's a great getaway, and convenient for me because I live 10 mintes from Port Canaveral. I last sailed on her in April 05 and loved every minute of it. RCL's food is fine, not as good as Carnival's, but it will do. Entertainment was good-Johnny Thunder was the entertainment while we were on board, and he was great. I'd love to see him again. He was once a member of the Temptations, I think. We also sat in on the dueling piano players-that was alot of fun. Very interactive. If you don't want to be part of the show, sit where they can't see you!

I don't think you will have any problems.

Have a great time!

Angie
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Admiral

The last time I was on it was in 2001-but it has been major refurbished since then-less then 2 years ago. On this other mesegaboard, Caviergal, a travel agent, cruised her back in June, she said nothing like that-she was just disapointed that in place of the former champagne bar there is now a Johnny Rockets. She felt the ship was now trying to attract younger clinetale and families instead of the middleaged cruiser.

I will say this-I cruised her twice. I loved my first cruise-a 4 day-the second time was a 3 day weekend cruise and there seemed to be alot of "hard partying" type folks on board-the kind of people most say cruise Carnival-though on my 4 Carnival cruises I did not see as many drunks as I did on that one cruise.

So I have surmised-you take a 3 day little wkend cruise-no matter the line-that is what you will run into-so take the 4 day cruise.

I think you will be absolutly fine on a 4 day. Yes the ship is older-so no it is not going to be as nice as a newer ship-but that does not mean it is dirty and nasty.

You know, a good friend of mine who went with us on our Mariner of the Seas cruise last fall-she took a cruise on Granduer of the Seas this past winter and she said the same thing-but as that was only her third cruise and her first 2 cruises being the Explorer of the Seas and then the Mariner of the Seas-I felt she had just not been on an older ship-so she had not seen how a ship will age.

Also Enchanment of the Seas is around 10 years old- I think-I know Enchantment was refurbished and stretched not long ago-but still I imagine if you went on Mariner of the Seas or Jewel of the Seas you would see a big differance in how the ships looked in comparrision to the Enchantment. The newer the ship, the nicer it will look.
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Beginner

I went on SOS in July 2005 with a group of 15 family members (ranging in age from 2-77) and we had a great time. I will say that I have learned I do not enjoy short cruises as much as the week long sailings. They just seem to be a tease and then it's time to get off! I think they did a really good job sprucing up the ship. The staff was great and the food was good.
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Passenger

We travel on her 3 times a year and always a pleasure.Last time was July 24 of this year for a 4 day.Service was great,food and everything else awesome!There was a problem with the toilets but that is because people were trying to flush cups,diapers and towels down the toilet They passed out a letter to each cabin specfying the problem and the above mentioned products were a nono.They rectified the problem in no time and caused no headaches for the guests!Love this ship !
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Awesome ship and always a good time. Please do the 4 night and you will not be disappointed.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHC318
We travel on her 3 times a year and always a pleasure.Last time was July 24 of this year for a 4 day.Service was great,food and everything else awesome!There was a problem with the toilets but that is because people were trying to flush cups,diapers and towels down the toilet They passed out a letter to each cabin specfying the problem and the above mentioned products were a nono.They rectified the problem in no time and caused no headaches for the guests!Love this ship !
why would you flush a cup... down the toilet... people these days.
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:53 AM
StephenAGoreJr

I am going on this ship next month...September 18th a monday through September 22nd a Friday morning. I heard these little 4 day cruises are a party...I hope so. We only stop at coco cay from 8-5, then the bahamas 7am-midnight and a day at sea. Seems like I could have some fun
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Admiral

I am taking my 29 yo stepson on his first cruise ever on Sept 8th. I specifically picked a shorter cruise so that he could "test the waters" so to speak.

After watching the show on the Discovery channel last year, I KNEW I had to one day cruise on SOS!

I wish some longer, more recent reviews would show up on SOS, but I plan on having a wonderful cruise no matter....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04