Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Just go back from Mariner of the Seas

We had a fantastic time despite the fact the some people became sick. Our cruise director, Becky was wonderful and absolutely beautiful. The food and service was the best, as always. Already booked our next cruise for this christmas. Have any questions?? Let me know and I'll be happy to answer them as this was my 2nd time on Mariner.

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:30 AM
Passenger

We are booked to go next December on Mariner, and although its a really long way away, we are all very excited. We (my husband and I) have a balcony cabin on the hump and I am wondering if you had a balcony cabin, and how many people can fit. Can 4? or is it just a balcony built for 2? (My mom and her friend are also coming and I am wondering if we can all sit on 1 balcony to chit-chat)
Iberostar Quetzal - Mexico 11/06
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:48 PM
First Mate

Have been on Mariner and had a friends whose cabins were on the end of the bump. Cannot say that there was alot of extra room on the balcony .. although there is enough room for 3-4 people to stand and chat, there was not enough room for everyone to sit and chat.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Norovirus?

MSNBC made a big deal that "many passengers and crew" had come down with norovirus and some were quarantined in their rooms for 48 hours...they also reported that the CDC was on board and would not allow Mariner to depart until the disinfection process was completed. Did you hear anything about that while onboard? Another news story blown out of proportion?

Glad you had a good trip.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old July 31st, 2006, 07:32 PM
Passenger

We are booked on Mariner for July 2007. It is a bit unsettling to hear that Royal Caribbean has an ongoing problem with this virus. We love Royal Caribbean's ships and our cruise experience to date has been excellent. We noticed the hands-free sanitizers on board. Do you know what measures RC is taking to eliminate future outbreaks.

Laura
Old July 31st, 2006, 07:52 PM
First Mate

Norovirus is a virus, and the handsanitizers are anti-bacterial. All they do is make people complacent. *WASH HANDS* frequently while cruising. This does not kill bugs, but washes them down the drain.

I always keep the paper towel used to dry my hands to open the bathroom door, than toss it in the trash. It's also a good idea to use a napkin to hold the common utensils on a buffet (unless they've gone to having the staff serve the buffet items, which they will do if things get really bad), and the salt and pepper shakers.

If you've touched things that lots of people have touched, just don't put your hands in/near your mouth or nose before washing them.

Just whatever you do, don't get lulled into a false sense of security by the hand-sanitizers, and practice good personaly hygiene...you'll be fine!

Tracy
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:03 PM
StephenAGoreJr

you know i got extremely sick on the mariner my last cruise in march. I still went out and partied but man was my immune system low. I mean one of the sickest I have ever been with a temp of 102. wonder if I had this thing?
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:13 PM
First Mate

MIKnLARA

I would not be so concerned about RCI as a whole. Norovirus is a problem everywhere... its just that the news media has focused on the cruise industry as it appears they are easy targets. Norovirus also breaks out in hospitals and your local restaurants... it just doesn't get reported and make the national news. So far in 2006.... there have been four reported instances of norovirus illness on RCI ships. Other cruise companies are in similar situations with the same number(or more) outbreaks... and most have fewer ships in their fleet. RCI cannot do much more than they already do.... Norovirus is typically bought on board by pax who are "dirty and uncleanly". When an outbreak occurs.. all they can do is react and contain the outbreak to those who are affected, which RCI does effectively. The best thing you can do to protect yourself is wash your hands frequently and carry small bottles of liquid hand sanitizers.

StephenAGoreJr

While it is possibly you were suffering from norovirus... it is a gastrointestinal virus which feels like stomach flu and/or food poisoning as you suffer from nausea and diahrea. Sometimes people will have a low grade fever and chills... but not a temp of 102 which is rather high. Possible you may have come down with something else....

More info on Norovirus outbreaks on cruises can be found at
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Good post wiscguy2!

The best analysis I have seen of norovirus...

Thanks.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008