Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:54 AM
Passenger

Default portable ship phone

Hi

when you book a suite on a RCCL ship you can use a portable ship phone.

Did any one use this service already, how many phones do you get and how does it work, is it only in the cabin or all over the ship.

Thanckx

Luc
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Huh?

We have booked many suites on Royal Caribbean and have never heard of a "portable ship phone" service.

Maybe this is an amenity for the top level suites? Can you explain or point us to the RCI web site where this is offered?

Thanks.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM
Passenger

Hi

this is what I found on the internet

Presidential Family Suite with Balcony
Deck: Deck 6
Presidential Family Suite with Balcony PS features two sets of twin beds that convert to queen-sized beds, five upper births, a private balcony, living area with queen-sized sofa bed, private bathroom with tub and shower, vanity area, walk-in closet, minibar, flat-screen TV, minisafe, radio, phone, and a hairdryer. Suite guests also have access to the Concierge Club lounge, which offers a number of exclusive amenities, including: preferred appointments for the salon and spa; movies and CDs for onboard usage; an honor bar in the lounge; continental breakfast, hors d'oeuvres, and petit fours served in the lounge; reservations for the Portofino Restaurant and Explorations Tours; reserved time for ice-skating and rock climbing; and tickets for the ice show. Personalized stationery, pre-ordering of dinner wine, faxing and copying services, use of a portable ship phone, and private party arrangements are also available.

thanks
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Wow!

Thanks for that info LucD. Having never cruised in one of the family suites, I did not know that!

Thanks.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Passenger

I got some information from a travel agent, these are phones they give to the costumers in the suites. You can use it on the ship and people can contact you wherever you are on the ship
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was in a suite on Navigator in June and I certainly did not have a ship phone. But I did see a number of people with kids that had walkie talkie type things. Maybe that's what they mean. maybe it's only available to people in Family Suites.
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM
First Mate

After reading about ship phones, I too, would like some info on it. Does anyone out there know about this? Does the Owners Suite have them? Where might I go to get info on this?

Thanks
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:57 PM
First Mate

They're called 'Dect' phones, (for Digital Enhanced Cordless Communication Telephone - the brand is usually Alcatel). They're on ships built from Voyager on - the phone you see the crew using . . . They've been upgrading the fleet, so many of the 'old' ones had been given to visiting contractors, extra crew or shoreside employees working onboard temporarily, etc. Basically they're just like your room phone and only work on the ship.

Can't tell you guest policies for sure - but you might be able to 'rent' one even if you're not in a suite

If you know the right numbers, they have some fun features . . . like after a long night in the crew bar, forwarding them 'in circles'
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:29 AM
First Mate

You can rent them onboard for $20 a piece. They are limited in number, however, so if you really want one, go straight to guest relations. You'll see the crew talking on what look like cell phones....those are the dect phones.

They only work on your ship, and it's basically like a wireless room phone.

My parents are going on Freedom in December with a bunch of friends, so I decided to book a solo cabin to see how I like the idea of solo cruising. Seems like an ideal situation to test it out. I'm thinking of renting one of those things for the week, so they can find me if they need me for anything. I'm rarely IN my cabin.

Tracy