Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Passenger

Default Crown Lounge and Rock Climbing Wall why???

I'm curious what you opinion is about my two questions:

1. Every Royal Caribbean ship has a Crown Lounge and this looks truly amazing from the pooldeck. From a far distance you KNOW that's definitely a Royal Caribbean ship.

Question: NCL is copying the original Crown Lounge to their ships. What's your opinion about that? I'm disappointed, because the Crown Lounge make the ships very remarkable in comparison with all the other cruiseships.

2. Every Royal Caribbean ship has a rock Climbing Wall. This looks very good at the Radiance, Voyager and Freedom Class ships.

Question: At the older ships it looks very ugly, because the wall isn't placed against the funnel. It's very noticeble from a far distance and the aft of the ship looks for this reason ugly too. It's an 'add-on' and not integrated as in the newer class ships. What's your opinion about that?

[/img]
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Admiral

Sheik,

To address you, point by point:

Point #1: Ah yes, imitation. The sincerest form of flattery. You've invented it, and I've hijacked it. Welcome to the world of big business....

Point #2: The rock-climbing wall. Don't even get me started..... You want to climb a rock? May I suggest El Capitan...

Rock climbing walls have no place on ocean liners. They are out of place on the Radiance class ships, and are obscene on the older ships. Rocks are of the Earth -- ocean liners are of the seas.

Ocean liners are elegant and majestic creations. Not to be sullied by pedestrian afflictions.

And so you have asked, and one of us has responded. Not perhaps the response you were seeking, but an honest one nonetheless. You seem an sincere observer of ship design, and as such have this scribe's respect.

Dean
Old August 10th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Passenger

I'm happy with all the response. You have some good points and I'm curious what others have to say

Shipdesign is ruined due this wall at older ships. It's not elegant anymore
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I am also a big fan of RCI and hate the rock walls. Especially on the Sovereign class. I don't cruise to climb rocks, ice skate or hang out in an indoor mall (i.e.. the indoor promenade) :evil:

I cruise to enjoy being at sea, visit exotic destinations, hang out at the pool during the day chatting up the chics and enjoying fine dinners and shows in the evenings. 8)

With that being said..... here I am on the Enchantment! What a loser!!!!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Admiral

DTW..thanks for including visual aids for all of your postings..a picture is worth 1,000 comments (VBG)

the rock climbing wall is marketed to get the 20 year olders to cruise and hook them into a life long customer..Cruise lines are smart enough to know that more and more kids are driving which cruise line for their parents to book so activities are geared towards that age group

If they wanted to attract the "Dave The Wave" segment they would have "speedo contest" (VBG)
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Venice,

I love to share my love of cruising with my fellow Cruisemates. Where are all your pictures? Inquiring minds want to know.

PS I think I may have found someone to go with me on my next cruise. This will be a new experience for me since my divorce.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Admiral

I'm an old school guy..my pictures are in my albums (smile)

I was being serious, I like your pictures

good luck on your next cruise with your friend, it's nice when you can cruise with a cruising buddy
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Yes, I haven't asked her yet but I think she will go if I do. I just want to be sure I am not making a mistake. What if I get onboard and the Swedish Bikini Team in on? or all the Budweiser girls? In fact the last Budweiser girl I went out with was going to go with me last November but then I uninvited her at the last minute and she got mad at me.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Passenger

Thanks for your answer Dave. I'm not the only one who hates the ugly 'wall's at the older beautiful RCCL ships.

Ofcourse, it's smart marketing, but the ships looks silly from the back. Dave, you made it to the top?
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Of course I made it to the top. It is pretty easy really. And that was fter several beers. 8)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Diamond Dave..she'll be fine..just don't let her read your postings on these boards (VBG).....If you like her well enough to invite her and allow her to share one of your great pleasures in life..it won't matter who else will be onboard, your focus will be on her and you will be surprise how nice that is (trust me, I know) !!
Will you two have matching speedo's ? (VBG)
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Yes, you are right. I can't let her see all my rantings on here.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Just a quick note not related to Sheik's original post....the martinis in the Viking Crown Lounge are the best I've ever had on a cruise ship, they're huge and absolute perfection...
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Passenger

Hi - Here's my 2 cents worth:

1. I agree, it does appear that NCL's ships are trying for a space that is similar to the Viking Crown Lounge. However, I think the RCI lounges are much more stylish than the NCL counterpart. RCI has some of the most innovative ships afloat.

2. Yes, those rock climbing walls on the Vision and Sovereign class ships do stick out like a sore thumb. I think RCI wanted to brand all of their ships as innovative and sporty. They even managed to squeeze one on the Empress, which now blocks some of the Viking Crown Lounge. I suppose this was the least expensive option for integrating a rock climbing wall on the older ships but I agree, it does ruin the ship's sillouette.

Thank you for listening.

Jewel of the Seas Nov 25 - Dec 1 2007 Caribbean
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Passenger

Thanks for your opinion
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Gee, I never noticed...

Until you brought it up, I never thought abut the rock wall(s) being "ugly" on my beloved Vision Class ships. I won't be able to sleep nights worrying about this...

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

In my opinion...

1.I agree with the person above,RCI has some of the most innovative ships afloat and they are doing great right now!If I was NCL,I would want to copy them too !

2.I didnt notice this until you mentioned it either!But after looking at pictures of all of RCI's ships,I have to agree that the rockwalls on the older ships are very unappealing!But at the same time,I am a 18 year old,and I understand that "Rocks are of the earth;ocean liners are of the seas",but the rockwalls do appeal to my age group!The main reason it does (mainly for 1st time cruisers),is because it adds a little more to the promise that you won't be BORED while onboard for sea days!!That goes right along with the Ice rinks,Flowrider,Mini-golf,etc. etc.!!
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Admiral

SurferDude,

So let me make sure I understand this. "I might be bored"...........

And please don't misunderstand this reply.

And yea, I was 18, once. A few years ago. (Or perhaps more than a few years ago.....)

So let's see..... You're on an incredible ocean liner. One that's packed to the gills with things to do. You're out by the pool viewing the fine young ladies. And Oh My Goodness, was that beauty in a thong?!

It's dinner time. You enjoy a sumptuous dinner, rivalling your town's best.

After dinner, you wander up to Viking Lounge. It's 70's night, and the ladies are dancing the night away. You join in, and have a great time. You collect several names, and a few cabin numbers. You haven't had this much fun (and this much good luck!) in quite awhile. You're feeling quite good about yourself. And you're hopeful about the future.

You sleep off the prior evening's hangover, and then head for the beach. You're docked in Georgetown, Grand Cayman, and the weather is sunny and warm. You take a taxi to Seven-Mile Beach and stake out a prime spot. After awhile, you stroll up the beach as though you own the place, and notice that some of the ladies don't have their tops on. It's heaven on Earth! The Mai Tai you're enjoying makes the scenery even more enjoyable!

Your prayers have been answered. You've died and gone to Heaven. You're in Paradise and it doesn't get any better than this.

And you need a rock wall to climb?! Are you sure you don't need counseling?!

Dude if I were 18 again............!

But this is a family site. And you'll discover those things in life that are truly important. Sooner rather than later, I hope........

Dean
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Admiral

Dean..if we were all 18 again we would not know how to appreciate cruising as we do now...nothing substitutes experience
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default packed to the gills?

Hey Mean Dean, if we were 18 again, it would probably matter more if the ship were "packed with girls for things to do..."

A little play on words there...but Surferdude gets it, I'm sure.

8)

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

No thats not what im saying at all!!The rockwall is something that appeals to the younger crowd and that usually means that having ammenities such as the rockwall,ice rink,flowrider,etc. attracts the ladies my age to take a cruise,which ups my chances of meeting more good looking ladies onboard!!I must say, its funny how you basically know how my cruise life goes, the part with all the chicks in the disco and collecting room numbers lol!I wish the beatiful girl in a thong would come true though !