Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Beginner

Default Ships?!?!?!?!

Which was are the best? dh and I looking to cruise next year in July to the bahamas
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Admiral

This is nearly impossible to answer accurately, with knowing a lot more about you and your DH, and also other data, like how many days, what you enjoy doing, are the ports important to you? Etc. Give us a little more information, and I'm sure we on these boards can come up with some valid suggestions.

Waiting for more info! 8)

Ken
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Passenger

Default Royal Caribbean

I personally like all of the Royal Caribbean ships....just about "Everything" is great....if you've never been on the "Huge" ships do so.....incredible!!! We just booked a Jan. on the Legend of the Seas.....are you doing a 7 day or a short cruise?[/b]
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Admiral

daila,

Which was are the best? dh and I looking to cruise next year in July to the bahamas

Eeewww. yuck! This sounds like a really bad plan. Here's why.

1. July is the wrong time of year, weather wise, to go to the Bahamas or to the Caribbean. It's solidly into the humd season and hurricane season. If you must cruise in July, go to Alaska or to northern or western Europe instead.

2. Most cruises that advertise "The Bahamas" as their destination don't have time to go anywhere else because they are too short to be worthwhile. By the time you get settled on the ship, it's time to pack to go home. Also, you may well spend more getting to and from the ship than you spend on the cruise itself.

Seven days is about the practical minimum for the duration of a cruise.

Having said that, I'm seeing really postive reviews about Royal Caribbean's newest ships. The Voyager of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, and Freedom of the Seas classes would be excellent choices for a first cruise.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide!

Norm.
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

YEah... about that Bahamas in July Thing.... Im from the armpit of texas.... heat humidity smog acid rain... all that... and last year we were rerouted to Nassau for one of our ports during July.... When I walked off the ship... It felt like i was in the shower... by the time i arrived at the end of the dock to actually get into Nassau... I was drenched head to toe with humidity... the exhaust from the cars stayed in the streets because of their design... July in Bahamas... not such a good Idea.... Now July in Grand Cayman... that's my idea of fun...

Ship-wise... I LOVE the Vision Class Ships... they are the perfect size... small enough to walk around on without feeling lost... and big enough to find a nice quiet spot for reading... Explorer was nice, The Schooner Bar on there was wonderful for people watching... lots of activities... but I'm not a fan of the promenade style ship center... i like the atrium style...
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Admiral

I agree with the others that you might want to re-think the Bahamas in July. You would be better off looking into a Western, Southern even an Eastern Caribbean route.
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Lisa,

You would be better off looking into a Western, Southern even an Eastern Caribbean route.

Also NOT in July, for the same reasons....

Norm.
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Daila, I agree with the nay-sayers. We were in Nassau in '02--first port on first cruise. It was 85 in the middle of January. Can you imagine what it will be like in July? I know many people don't have the luxury of taking vacations anytime except the summer, but if you do, go in the winter. It was in the 80s, but not too humid. Our E. Carib. ports were Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan and Labadee. Explorer's itineraries have changed somewhat over the years, so you need to check what ships go where on the RCI website.
We've taken two summer cruises--to Alaska and N. Europe and both times the weather was ideal, although I'm glad we didn't go in July this summer when England and all of Europe had a major heat wave.
If you have to go in July, be prepared for being very uncomfortable outside and take plenty of bottled water.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Bris. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London
1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera