Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Passenger

Default Things to do with my Mom on cruise!

My Mom does not walk as well as she used to, she still gets around pretty good, but not at the same pace. What type of activities would recommend at the ports for us to do?? We are sailing on the Majesty in April with stops in Key West, Bahamas, CoCo Cay. I was thinking about just doing the tours of each island and then going back to the ship for rest.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Admiral

I take my mom on cruises as well. She was 79 when we started and is now 82. The only thing you really got to watch out for is the steps between doorways, remember it is a ship and there are bulkhead like bumpers between some doorways. Also, when getting off & on the tender, go slow, watch your feet AND HEAD. My mom was always careful with her feet and still managed to bump her head.
In Key West: we have been 3 times: we took it easy and toured Hemingway's house; sat at a outdoor bar and people watched and slowly walked back to the ship; another cruise, we did the trolley ride, which was perfect for her. I would highly suggest the trollery ride.
Bahamas; after going to the Bahamas she would have preferred staying on the boat; the dock is a very long pier, long tiring walk; and we simply grabbed a horse/buggy ride (which she loved being a former horsewoman) and got a mini-tour of the busy downtown area and then went back to the boat.
If Coco Cay is your only stop, I beleive (it has been renamed since we were there); but if it is a private island, you are tendered to the beach and you can sit and relax and enjoy it.
My mom enjoyed being on the boat I would say more than excursions, with the exception of Cozumel and Jamiaca. She had more energy it seemed on the boat and was always finding something to do; watching the food cooking demonstrations, of course BINGO and the slot machines. One time, she disappeared on me for about 2 hours and came back to the pool where I was waiting and was excited that she found a movie theater, cooking demonstrations and all kinds of stuff that I didn't know was on the boat.
ONe of the cruises we were on was the Majesty and that is the perfect boat. The one thing I do to make it a little easier for her is to book a room very near the elevators; mid-ship from aft to stern and mid-ship from top to bottom. She never gets lost or too tired from walking too far.
Hope this helps and have fun with your mom. Hope she has fun too. Remember it is a vacation so there is no need to go fast, take it slow & steady and enjoy the simple things.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Louise,

My Mom does not walk as well as she used to, she still gets around pretty good, but not at the same pace. What type of activities would recommend at the ports for us to do?? We are sailing on the Majesty in April with stops in Key West, Bahamas, CoCo Cay. I was thinking about just doing the tours of each island and then going back to the ship for rest.

Flexibility is the key in this situation. Your best bet probably is to book ONE shore excursion in each port of call, planning to go back to the ship for lunch. If your mom has enough energy and stamina, you can browse through the boutiques by the cruise terminal on the way back to the ship or take your mom shopping after lunch. If your mom needs the afternoon to rest, you can go shopping or go to a nearby beach on your own after lunch. Also, be sure to pick tours marked as requiring a farily low level of physical activity in the tour brochure or on the web site.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the great tips!

Since we are going in April, the weather should be fine. Neither of us do very well in extreme heat, which is why we choose April.

The trolley tour sounds great! She would definitely like that. I will also look into the buggy ride in the bahamas.

She like bingo, cooking demonstrations and slot machine, so that should work out great for her. We were on a carnival cruise in 2001, but there were 16 in our group, and she was getting around better then. Now its just the two of us, so there is definitely no need to rush. I wish my husband would go, but he wants nothing to do with Cruise ships, period. His reply is always he can never drink that much water, and I always reply, its not for you to drink, its for the ships to drink while sailing

he will fly all over the world, but never a cruise ship

I am looking forward to us both having a good time!