Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Passenger

Default Unwanted Upgrade..Am I Wrong?

I booked my cruise over 1 1/2 years ago on Splendour of the Seas for Venice and Greece. I got the center balcony cabin on deck 7 with an oversized balcony at the rear of the ship. The view from the balcony should be amazing.

1 month before the cruise they changed my room to a junior suite on deck 8 at mid-ship on the port side. The junior suite is only slightly bigger than a standard cabin and it has a bath tub. The balcony is not as spacious at the original. My wife and I do not need the extra space. We prefer privacy.

Believe it or not I am not happy with my "upgrade" I wanted to be at the rear of the ship with the view and the large balcony.

Am I wrong for feeling this way? I need advice.

Can RC change my cabin without asking me?
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:27 PM
First Mate

Bert,
It's a good idea if you have a cabin that you really really want (like your aft cabin) to have a "Do not upgrade" notation put on your reservation.

Did you book through RCI or a Travel Agent? I'd be on the phone right away trying to get my cabin back if it were me.
Tracy
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Passenger

I booked with a travel agent.

Did she screw up by not putting a "do not upgrade" note on my reservation?

Can they just change my cabin without asking first?
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Admiral

"They" can do just about anything that they want to do. In thier mind, you got an "upgrade" so you should be happy. NOT.

I would do as Tracy suggested and get the TA to get that cabin back even if it means "upgrading" the folks who might have it now.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
Did she screw up by not putting a "do not upgrade" note on my reservation?
I wouldn't say she screwed up, but if she was being careful, and knew how excited you were about having an aft cabin, she might have suggested it to you.

The cruiselines can change your room without notice. When upgrading, this is generally considered a bonus, but as you know, there are some "primo" cabin locations that people would rather have.

Try giving her a call and seeing if she can get your cabin back.

Good luck and let us know!
Tracy
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Admiral

i totally agree, get on the phone with your TA and have her get your original cabin back.
For your next cruise you now know to specify No Upgrade if you get a cabin that you really like. I don't think that your TA screwed up, how was she to know that you wouldn't want an upgrade if you didn't tell her?
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Passenger

No Bert, you are not wrong! I would call the TA or Crown and Anchor directly and demand the room back...or an aft balcony on the new deck! Good luck to you
Explorer of the Seas 01,02,05
Navigator of the Seas 03
Monarch of the Seas 92,93,94,99
Granduer of the Seas 98,00
Sovereign of the Seas 89,91,92
Nordic Prince 87,93
Song of Norway 90
Song of America 90
Century 96
Norway 88,93,94
Seaward 89
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone. I will be extremely disappointed if I don't get this cabin back. This is only my second cruise and I have been waiting to suprise my wife with the view for our 10th wedding aniversary. She thinks I got an inside cabin. I'm sure we will love the "upgrade" but it won't be the same. We like to sit on our deck at the beach and watch the sunset. With an aft balcony we had a much better chance of seeing the sunset. Now we have a 50/50 shot.........

btw....my TA knew full well that the cabin was special to me. I made it perfectly clear that I went over my budget buy $800 because that cabin was available. Otherwise I would have saved myself the money and gotten a cheaper cabin and spent the money somewhere else. The "upgrade" RC is giving me would have only cost me an extra $200 total.

I wil keep you posted. She has her manager on it and I am waiting to here back.
Old September 14th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Bert, did you ask your TA if she specified No Upgrade on your reservation since she knew that you specifically wanted that cabin? If she did then the cruise line messed-up. If she didn't then she made the mistake. Either way make them get your original cabin back.
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Captain

Definitely let us know the outcome! You are obviously not alone when it comes to lining up to get an aft cabin since we just downgraded from a midship "JS" when an aft "D" became available for a trip later this month (we were paying for the "JS" tho). On another trip, we actually gave up an aft balcony for an upgrade to a "GS" on the "hump" and had to ponder it! BUT I have done both locations and I do think you are right, that your wife will like the upgrade if that's the final result. Many cruisers would kill for the midship location on deck 8. I agree with you that it's worth the fight to get the aft cabin back tho.
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Passenger

My TA was able to get me an aft cabin on deck 7, same deck as the original. It is closer to the side of the ship while my original cabin was in the middle. The balcony will not be as big. I am a bit disappointed that I could not have the cabin I booked well over a year ago.

I am glad to hear that Robbie gave up a JS for an aft cabin. It confirms I made the right call.

I can't believe I am upset about an upgrade gone bad. What can I do.nothing. My TA said there were issues with getting my original cabin back. I don't understand at all why I couldn't get my original cabin back and just give those people an upgrade to the JS. They obviously should not have been able to pick my original cabin as I did....Right?
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Admiral

I think something doesn't seem right here. I always book a specific cabin and in 20 + cruises have never been moved from the one booked.
I think I would want some more info. from the T A.
I think I would require a detailed explanation from her / him as to what the " issues " were regarding getting my cabin back and an explanation about the " upgrade " that you didn't want to begin with. Maybe a conference call to the cruise line with you, the T A and the cruiseline could set matters straight.
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Passenger

i will try and get on.
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:12 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
I don't understand at all why I couldn't get my original cabin back and just give those people an upgrade to the JS. They obviously should not have been able to pick my original cabin as I did....Right?
Bert,
Did your initial aft cabin maybe accomodate more than two passengers? It may be that there are three people now booked in the cabin and the JS only accomodates two? I dunno....just trying to think of scenarios.

At least you are back in an aft cabin, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the balcony size...it will still be big! Still a lovely surprise for your wife. Now just concentrate on having a fabulous time!!!
Tracy
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Passenger

I stayed in a JS - it defintily accomodates 4 easily and is a nice room - I am disappointed that Freedom was almost completely sold out for Spring Break in April 07 - we've got an ocean view room on the 2nd floor - by far not my 1st choice - but I believe everything in life is how you CHOOSE to look at it. We are all healthy - we are all going on what I plan to be a wonderful vacation and how much time am I really gonna spend in my cabin - so I don't have a balcony - we can go to Windjammer and sit on their deck for breakfast - Life is what you make of it folks - I say make the best out of every situation and you'll be a happy camper. You have a beautiful wife - you are going on a beautiful vacation - there could have been a mixup where you ended up in an inside room .