Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

For those who have brought alcohol on board with the intent of consuming it during their cruise, things have changed in the policy department of RCI. That practice may become a thing of the past. The new 2007-08 brochures still state:

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

NEW to the brochure and website alcohol policy:
Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Vacation Policys. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

This is new policy language to RCI, and I'm sure will be a trend to other cruiselines as well. Anyway, as a wise person once said, "you pays your money, you takes your chances"...

Steve
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the heads-up Steve. I guess it pays to read those brochures!
I, too, bet the other cruise lines will follow suit.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Beginner

We wanted to have wine in our cabin on Enchantment for my husband's birthday and got around the "no alcohol on board" problem by ordering a gift basket from Just Because of You. Shelley was very easy to work with and made sure to include everything we needed such as wine glasses and a corkscrew. The basket itself was beautifully wrapped and was delivered to our cabin immediately after the muster drill. I found the cost very reasonable and I would highly recommend using this company if you want to send a Bon Voyage gift. The e-mail address is JustBecauseCorp@aol.com
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

It seems that most of the people that successfully carried (or smuggled) wine or hard liquor onboard did so prior to Royal Caribbean's alleged smackdown policy. For example, all of "Dave the Wave's" pictures have a 2005 date stamp. Has anyone successfully circumvented the official policy SINCE July 28, 2006? Also, has anyone been caught attempting to do so? (And, do they really want to fess up in this public forum? )

Me personally, I've paid too much money to even risk not being allowed to board because of their policy. That's MHO of course! I'm ordering chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne for in-room delivery on embarkation day!

Addendum: 11/8/06 - Just moments after posting this, I noticed in the photo gallery that "Dave The Wave" posted pictures of his portable bar setup with very recent date stamps! So, it looks like the policy, though strongly worded, is weakly enforced!

Jeff
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJ346BWAY
Has anyone successfully circumvented the official policy SINCE July 28, 2006?
Yup, DTW on 11.2.06

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Yes, no problem at all. My cabin steward was happy to get me ice for the cooler and I gave him the leftovers. With the Concierge lounge a few doors away it minimized the need for my cabin supply.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Beginner

Well done Dave. ? for you though. Do you make any attempt to conceal, or do you just throw your stuff in a bag (or do you roll on your cooler)? I read somewhere that typically, lines will confiscate if you try to hide it and being up front and not trying to bring on too much pays off. I fully intend to utilize the bars to the fullest extent (without becoming obnoxious of course), but would like to have a pre-dinner cocktail or a warm-up drink before heading out to the club at night. Advice?
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I put it in my checked lugge. No, I don't roll on a cooler. That would be tacky! My cooler is narrow (one beer wide) and has shoulder strap. So I use it as a carry on for my docs and camera and stuff.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM
First Mate

Note to folks they also make collapsable coolers that do a fair job of insulating stuff. I think I got mine from Sams. It's been added to the "to bring" list. Ive given up on finding a fridge in a cabin that will chill stuff to a decent consuption temp.

I think most folks will be alright if some discretion is used ie transfering the necture of the Gods to non-booze looking non-glass containers if possible.

Come on folks have some inginuity. America was built on it. This stuff is covered in College Football Spectating 101. If you snoozed through that class find a college age type fellow and Im sure that they will provide some constructive input in exchange for beer.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:12 PM
NWLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
A few idiots drink too much, fall overboard and ruin it for the rest of us. Used to be you could buy a bottle in the shop onboard and take it to your cabin.
Ahhh, you mean like this mascot from the University of Toledo did a few years ago:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...14443347&hl=en

Did I mention he was the mascot for the University of Toledo.