Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
Passenger

Default San Juan airport to Cruise Pier

We will be cruising on the Serenade of the Seas leaving San Juan on November 11. We have scheduled our own flight and would like info on how to get from airport to cruise terminal at the pier. How far? How much? What mode of transportation is available? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi KKbay,
Its very easy to get a cab from the airport to the pier in San Juan. After you collect your luggage, there is a taxi stand inside, simply get a ticket, they will ask how many pieces of luggage you have. The cost should be around $20 plus tip and the ride takes about half an hour, depending on traffic.

Once you have your ticket, just walk out and get in the taxi line, takes no time at all and its much easier than taking the bus through the cruiseline, also much quicker.

Happy Cruising!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Donna's statement above is the best way to go. PR is split up into what they call Zones. It's not like here in the States where its like $1.00 for the first mile & then whatever the $$ is per mile after that.

They break it up into Zones, A,B,C, etc. So its based on a flat fee rather than per mile. Too bad NYC could not do the same. Be better off!

You leave the airport & its all highway driving to the pier. So you are at mercy of the traffic at the time & whether its clear sailing or someone driving like a maniac & there's an accident (again, no different than the States).

You'll love the ship! We did the same cruise. Not much to see though at the pier. There's a tiny airport for smaller planes landing next to the ship & seeing the hi-rises of the city. Not much else to see. There was some big construction project going on that our cab had to weave through, not sure what they were building.
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:17 PM
First Mate

I also agree about this ship and itinerary; they are both fabulous!

Here is a link to a site that shows a map of the area where the ships dock. http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

There is a lot of other info on that site, including taxi rates. The rates are per taxi, not per person.

Enjoy the ship! Be sure to eat at the Seaview Cafe. It is a great place to grab a bite after your shore excursions. Also, check out the window in the Crown and Anchor lounge; it looks DOWN onto the Centrum. Oh, the cows! Stay on the glass elevators to the top floor and give them a look!

Here is a link to my photos from our cruises. You can figure out which ones are for those ports! http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100

Have a fabulous cruise! We loved it so much that we booked it AGAIN for next year!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to H.B.

I looked very long at this cruise, I loved the longer itinerary. I was concerned avout the Seranade being an older and smaller ship. I did book on the AOS, but I prefer the Seranades longer itinerary. I still have time to change. How do the 2 ships compare? Which one would be better for our family with 2 teenage daughters? Any and all advice welcome!!
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:25 AM
First Mate

Good grief! I thought the Serenade was BIG and PRETTY NEW!!! I guess it is all perspective. I have not been on one of the REALLY big ships, but Serenade is bigger than most of the others I have been on. I didn't see any wear on this ship, and I have been on others where I have seen wear. This ship is gorgeous!

The Serenade does not have the Promenade, but we didn't need that extra added attraction.

I love this itinerary. I don't think your girls will be the least bit bored. You will be off on an island every day but the last one, and there is still nightlife. I don't think ANYONE can be bored.

JMHO
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I think its still a newer ship. First cruise was August, 2003? Everything will be in tip-top shape. The only thing you'll notice is the constant cleaning of the ship, rails, elevators, etc.

It doesn't have the promenade as mentioned, but a bunch of small shops in one area. Now if you don't like crowds, avoid it. It's very tight together & always pretty crowded. Bad design in my opinion, but hey, I wasn't in there much anyway.

I think AOS is the same ship, but they are about 50 feet longer or so? Just a bigger bow from what I could see the one day when both ships were together.

The other beauty about Serenade vs. AOS? AOS only has like 1-2 lifeboats they can use for tenders - so they always have to dock. Serenade I think used like 6 for ours, so the lines weren't that bad. It was just waiting for the tender to return to the ship which is like a 10 minute boat ride.

Lots of glass all around, so you'll always have a good view. Plus in the elevators which are right by the windows, so you have a view of the ocean at all times. Lots of elevators actually....there's more towards the bow as well. Designed nicely.

Plus - even witha full ship? You never "feel" the crowds because everyone is scattered throughout the ship. The only times might be at the pool, the shops, dining room.

Because I'm prone to motion sickness, we decided to get a room at the lowest deck & smack in the middle. 2018 I think was our room number. Now, its small...but had better benefits than most of the other decks. Why?

Our deck (2) was the entrance/exit for getting on/off the ship. There's only like 20-30 rooms, we're lucky if 10 of them were being used at that time. We only saw 2 other couples during the whole trip. Our side was the room side, the other side of the ship was crew stuff plus the exit for getting off the ship at the islands. WHICH was great, just walk 20 feet & we're off the ship. While everyone else waited for the elevators or up the stairs. Plus...becuase there's very few rooms, you really become close to your cabin stewart. We called our room, "Belly of the Beast". It's only I think 150 square feet, not much larger than a hotel room. But for 2 people, it was fine for us. Tiny porthole to look through. We loved it!!

You can view my photo's of the trip here (go back to 4/9/06) or over at webshots.com under Cassie4486.

Enjoy your trip! You'll love it!!!!
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to H.B.

Thanks for the info!!
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:51 PM
Passenger

8)

Stupid question, but is the 20.00 per cab ride with two people? Or per person? We are two couples traveling. We already have the transfers included with the air, but may skip using the cruise line transfers for the first portion.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Kit,
The $20 is per cab, not per person. It will also depend on how many pieces of luggage you both have, then the tip. You can get a credit for the cruiseline transfers if you decide not to use them.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:49 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate it! 8)