Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Passenger

Default What to do in Cozumel and Grand Cayman?

We've already done Paradise Beach in Cozumel and Sting Rays in Grand Cayman. What excursions (or things on your own) would you suggest for us (family of 4 with teenage sons). A "tour" of the city or shopping will not impress the guys. Thinking more along the lines of snorkeling or a great beach. All advice is greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2006, 05:54 PM
First Mate

Default things to do..

GC: 7 mile beach

Cozumel: grab a taxi, tell them to take you to a realy nice beach with food and drink. arrange for him to pick up up at a specific time.
Old October 13th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

In Cozumel, you can take a cab over to Chankanaab Park if its open. Nice beach and great snorkeling. We had also done the dolphin swim there last year, it was great. I know there was a problem with that because of the hurricane, so not sure if they have that up and running yet.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 14th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Has anyone been to Chankanaab Park recently? How is the beach area? I think I remember reading once that there was a sea wall you had to climb over to get to the water. Is this correct? What is included with your park admission? Does anyone remember what the other things cost--like snorkeling or dolphins?
Old October 14th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

With teenage boys you may want to try a Dune Buggy beach & snorkel combo or an Eco Jeep Snorkel adventure. We did the 4x4 jeep two years ago on Cozumel and had a blast with our teenage daughter. Lots of fun.
Grand Cayman has Black Pearl Skate Park for skateboarding, and Black Pearl Surf Park for boogie boarding and surfing. We just got back recently from Freedom OTS with the Flowrider (really cool). One of the regulars, a guy in his 50's, tried the skate park and had great things to say about it. There's also a mountain bike adventure along the coastline or a Jeep and snorkel adventure.

If you go to RCI's website, check out all the excursions for the Ports you're visiting. Click on the drop down menu for "Before You Board / Shore and Land Excursions." I'm sure you'll find something that'll work.
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to H.B.
Default Re: What to do in Cozumel and Grand Cayman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefreedom
We've already done Paradise Beach in Cozumel and Sting Rays in Grand Cayman. What excursions (or things on your own) would you suggest for us (family of 4 with teenage sons). A "tour" of the city or shopping will not impress the guys. Thinking more along the lines of snorkeling or a great beach. All advice is greatly appreciated!!
I went on a quick cruise last April that went to Cozumel and we booked a snorkel excursion. I was not aware that a hurricane (I cant remember which one, I think it might have been Rita) that hit Mexico did some pretty serious damage to Cozumel. One of the biggest things that goe damaged was the coral reefs. Where we went snorkeling, there was no coral and very few fish around, just lots of sand. The crew saling the catamarin that we went on told us it would take many years for the coral to reform. I guess either they took us to the wrong spot or they were telling us the truth that the damage was to all the reef. If you can, try to do some resurch about this before booking any snorkel trip. The second part of our excursion was to a beach which was beautiful. I dont know if the pier is rebuilt yet , but at this time we had to tender in due to the piers storm damage. Having said all this, I still loved Cozumel. If the excursion to Excaret (Im not sure of the proper spelling) is listed, we went several years ago and our family loved it. We were not on a cruise that trip, we were staying in Cancun, and we decided that we loved Excaret so much that we went back for a second day. There is a ton to do there. They have a lagoon for snorkeling that was as beautiful as some of the snorkeling in Hawaii. They have an underwater river to snorkel and swim in (part of it is in the dark which was a little scarry for me--I guess I have seen too many movies. We also did a dolphin swim that we did and LOVED. There is a nice calm beach by a lagoon that you can swim and sun on while they come around and take orders for drinks (always a plus). There are several other things to do--horseback riding, shopping, Myan ruins etc. As you can tell we really loved it there. I highly recommend it. I hope you have a great time!
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Beginner

We recently took the Xcaret tour and were not disappointed. The park is beautiful and has tons to do. Our tour guide was Armando and he did a great job. We really enjoyed our day there. Only downside was that it was very rough on the 35 minute ferry ride from the mainland back to Cozumel. I'd recommend this tour for anyone with children.
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Passenger

We were last week in Cozumel with the freedom and went to Tulum by our self.
You have to look for the exact ours of the ferry. It was 10 $ pp for the ferry one way. The taxi for 7 persons was 20 $ pp. we took the ferry of 7am local time (ships time 8 am) It took about 50 min to get to Tulum. And we had the return ferry of 11 am. There is no ferry between 11 am and 1 pm. We had still time to do some shopping in Cozumel before returning to the ship. If you take the ferry of 1 pm, you need to go strait to the ship. our ship left at 2.30 pm local time.
Tulum is a very nice Maya temple right on the beach.
Old November 11th, 2006, 04:50 PM
First Mate

Has anyone gone to the Hotel Cozumel on a day pass or for lunch?
Old November 26th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Passenger

there is also a Jeep Safari tour in Grand Cayman that goes to Rum Point, and there is a wave runner tour that we loved, it visits stingray city and rum point area. You get two hours on wave runner so it is a blast!!!

In Coz I would recommend ATV's or Helmet diving which is pretty cool so is discover diving if your sons like snorkeling, its the next step. We used Cozumel Cruise Excursion, and they were excellent.
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:56 PM
First Mate

Default Discover Scuba

I tried "Discover Scuba" when in Cozumel about 3 weeks ago. It was great. They give you a quick class, you put on the equipment and then scuba for about 40 minutes at 25' to 35' following the instructor. You are not certified, but it introduces you to it to see if you might like it. I did so much and am starting lessons next week to become certified. Teenagers might enjoy that.