Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Beginner

Default health food nut question/ advice

i am a big health food nut. My parents (who cruise a lot) explained to me that there are lots of health food choices but I fear my idea and their idea of healthy differ. Their idea of getting their veggies in is adding a stalk of celery to their bloody mary

Is there really healthy food choices at both the Windjammer and the main dinning room? Are the buffets full of starches and sauces or can you find good healthy food? Is it better for health food nuts to eat only at the main dining room for lunch or is it also buffet style? The reason I am saying this is most buffets use fillers and starches to fill people up and I don't do starchy foods

Also, about the drink cards. I do not drink juice (I prefer to eat my fruit as juice has so much sugar) and I do not drink soft drinks. I do drink a gallon of water a day along with iced tea. Do the drink cards include tea? I am guessing they don't include bottled water, so I am thinking I should pack a case of water for the trip? any suggestions here?

Do they offer veggies and fruit for snack times? I am wondering if I should pack my own snacks? I hate to sound fussy but i don't want to get on my cruise and have to complain that i can't find anything healthy to eat ha-ha I would rather quietly pack my own goodies rather than make a fuss.

Any health food advice that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Brook, I think you will find plenty of healthy choices. On most of the sea days hubby and I would just make a big salad for lunch at the buffet and maybe have a bowl of soup too. There is always fresh fruit available in the buffet at breakfast and lunch. If you are really into organic I am not sure what is available, but there are lots of healthy options. You don't need a soda card for iced tea, that's included in the price of your cruise, as is coffee, lemonade and milk in the buffet. You can get all those in the dining room too, except I'm not sure about lemonade. They do charge for bottled water, but there is always water available in the buffet area. If you prefer bottled you can bring some of your own. You will have a great time and will be able to eat light (but give yourself the option of a few splurges - desserts are really good!)
Old October 14th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Admiral

If I can find it, I will post the sample menu; I seen one on one of these threads somewhereeee....
The buffet is available almost constantly and for snacks, you can find fruit and uncooked vegetables at the salad stations. (I grabbed a plateful or 2 and took back to my room and put in the mini fridge so I would have anytime I wanted and could enjoy my snacks on the balcony).
I have noticed that true vegetarions have a very limited selection; but if you are just a healthy eater; you should take all your meals in the dining room rather than the buffet as you will have some decent choices that taste wonderful
Ice tea is free as is tap water; don't need a drink card for that;
Bottled water will cost you and I don't believe the drink card covers that; maybe another poster can fill us in on that.
Hope this helps
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old October 14th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Just to add a thought. Inform your travel agent (if you used one) about your food tastes. They will provide you with info about what is available to you before you board. Then when you do board inform your head waiter and he or she will make accomadations for you. I don't think this will be a problem for you.
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bottled water is not included and quite expensive onboard. I would buy it before you go or in ports just before reboarding.

I would say that the food in the Windjammer tends towards the starches and fats. They will always have cut fresh fruit in the morning and at lunch. The salad bar is OK.
Old October 14th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

As you've read, there are plenty of healthy options to carbs and starch. There's always fruit and good salad choices available. Iced tea is always available for meals free of charge.

As for bottled water: I bring 4-6 bottles packed in my suitcase on board and chill them in the cabin fridge. Then as I drink them, I just refill from the bathroom sink and rechill. The water on board is among the best tasting anywhere. Good luck, Steve
Old October 14th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

RCscoop is correct. The onboard water is quite good and made on board.
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Familiar Face

DH only drinks bottled spring water at home, but he does enjoy the tap water on the ship. Not only can you get free ice water during the buffets and dining rooms, you can get free glasses of ice water at any bar too. We always have them put a wedge of lime in ours as we don't like lemon. If you don't mind the tap water why weigh down your luggage? We pack 2 empty sport bottles for pool side & excursions & just keep refilling them on the ship. Keep them cold in your room fridge. Bottled water is expensive on the ship. If you need quick cold water to take with you, get a glass of ice water and pour it in your bottle.

For fruits and veggies, just pick up a handful at breakfast and keep them in your cabin for when you want a snack during the day when the buffet is closed. Bring ziplock bags with you too to put cut up fruits & veggies in for snacking while the buffets are closed or to take on excursion.

As mentioned before, let them know your dietary needs ahead of time or inform your waiter the 1st night. There is always something for everyone on a cruise.
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Praline - I hate to say it? But once your eyes get a load of the midnight buffet....your mouth is going to water & the little sea devil that is going to sit on your shoulder & whisper.."go ahead - take a bite of that nice cake...I won't stop you".

Seriously though, lots of healthy food choices as mentioned above. But don't be surprised if you get "tempted" by some of the other food. The desserts are to die for....

Enjoy!!
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Don't be afraid to ask for extra veggies in the dining room either. DIL didn't feel the children's menu had enough, so she asked for some steamed broccoli - a large platter appeared at our table each night thereafter.