Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Passenger

Default What insurance do you usually take?

We always buy insurance for our cruises, and I was just curious what many of you choose. I usually go with Travelguard. Are there any better and cheaper plans? We usually never take the cruise lines insurance because the outside vendors offer better policies. Thanks for any help.
Ectasy 1993
Statendam 1993, 1994, 1996
Royal Princess 1995
Veendam 1997
Splendor of the Seas 1998
Elation 1999
Volendam 1999
Rotterdam 2000
Monarch of the Seas 2001
Explorer of the Seas 2002
Golden Princess 2003
Caribbean Princess 2004
Jewel of the Seas 2006*
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Travelguard is a good policy but there are some others you can find. The main thing is to read the entire policy and make sure it covers all aspects of your cruise. Air, baggage, pre-existing conditions, death of a travel mate or family member and other conditions that may arise.

My main concern is the medical and evacuation coverage. The cost of the trip is not the main concern but the costs involved in the event of illness overseas. These are what will really hit you hard and most insurance policies do not cover you outside of the United States or your own country. Check your own insurance to see what your coverage limitations are before purchasing insurance. Medicare does not cover you outside of the United States.

I do agree that cruise line insurance is usually not the best insurance to purchase.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:13 PM
First Mate

Go to" InsureMy Trip.com" You can compare,side by side, just about everything out there
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Admiral

dogsambam,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We always buy insurance for our cruises, and I was just curious what many of you choose. I usually go with Travelguard. Are there any better and cheaper plans? We usually never take the cruise lines insurance because the outside vendors offer better policies. Thanks for any help.
I never buy travel insurance. Fundamentally, insurance is a losing bet for the average consumer so it is not advisable to indemnify a loss that you can absorb -- and anybody who can't absorb the loss of the cost of a pleasure trip more fundamentally cannot afford the pleasure trip.

That said, it may make sense to take out supplemental insurance that will cover medical evacuation or a medical emergency at your destination if your regular medical insurance won't cover i.

Norm.
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've been using CSA for the past few years. I even had to make a few claims and they were handled fairly quickly, would still use them again.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Beginner

Rev 22:17,
It must be nice to be independently wealthy. I have saved for a year for my families upcoming cruise. It is worth it to us to spend $40 a person to have peace of mind that if anything goes wrong with our trip that we are covered. I most certainly can afford the cost of my trip. However I can not afford the loss of that trip.
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Admiral

My wife and I always use Travelex. We have never had to use it but it is good to have. Rev.22:17 what insurance is it you have that costs $40 per person?
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Rev.22:17 disregard my last thread . I misread the link. But IMO, I treat travel insurance like i treat medical and life insurance, I have it but i hope i never have to use it. Odds are at some point you will need it.
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Beginner

I bought a policy from travelex. I used www.insuremytrip.com And yes, the policy I bought cost $42.50 pp It was one of the cheapest ones, but it coveres everything I hope never happens!
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Admiral

csm123,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
It must be nice to be independently wealthy.
I wish. I'm one of those folks who always opts for an inside cabin because I would rather take three cruises rather than two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have saved for a year for my families upcoming cruise. It is worth it to us to spend $40 a person to have peace of mind that if anything goes wrong with our trip that we are covered. I most certainly can afford the cost of my trip. However I can not afford the loss of that trip.
Statistically, I have taken twenty cruses and have had to cancel only one (my mother died two days before embarkation day). I have come out well ahead. Over the course of several years, you also will spend a lot more on insurance than you would lose with cancelled trips unless you have some unusual risk factors that will necessitate cancelling an abnormal percentage of your trps. But if you wish to spend your cash to line the pockets of the executives and stockholders of insuance companies... well, it's your money.

Here's another way to look at it. The isurance company takes in a certain amount of money (the pie). Part of the pie goes to pay the insurance company's workers and executives, part of the pie goes to pay claims, part of the pie goes to pay taxes, and the rest of the pie gets divided among the company's stockholders. If your claims recover 25% of what you spend on insurance premiums, you probably have lost less than the average poliyholder.

Norm.
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default What insurance?

If I am cruising to US and Canada, I don't get insurance, as my Homeowners and Health coverages will provide most of the protection I need. Yes, I know I am gambling on missing a flight...
When I am going outside US, I always go to InsuremyTrip.com and let my fingers do some shopping. This website is a cafeteria of available coverages and I can select what I expect I might need. At my age, health insurance and evacuation insurance is an important consideration.
A previous post gave all the reasons why you shouldn't pay for insurance company executives, taxes, etc. I guess we can all go search for an insurance company that runs by itself and pays no taxes...I haven't found that one yet. I want one that has a real person who will handle my claim when I need them...
JMHO

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM
First Mate

the evacuation issue is the big one for us--surprised so many do not get it from the cruise line.. is it the price or lack of good coverage--we always take it--=just easy to sign up..now I am wondering,,thanks for this thread...
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:37 PM
First Mate

So, I'm still confused, is it better to take insurance or not. And is the IN SURANCE for if you have to cancell your trip....or is it for when you are away and god forbid something happens then you are covered? Or is it just for not having to cancell you trip prior to boarding?

Thanks all
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Royal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
So, I'm still confused, is it better to take insurance or not. And is the IN SURANCE for if you have to cancell your trip....or is it for when you are away and god forbid something happens then you are covered? Or is it just for not having to cancell you trip prior to boarding?
Let me repeat what I said earlier: it's best to take insurance only for a loss that you cannot absorb. Applying that principle to a cruise vacation:

>> 1. If you can't absorb a loss of the cost of a vacation trip, you probably are spending too much on your vacation. Thus, it's best NOT to buy trip cancellation insurance unless there's an unusual circumstance that is more likely than normal that you will have to cancel the trip.

>> 2. If you can afford a cruise, chances are that you can afford to return home from a port of call on an emergency basis if it becomes necessary to do so. Thus, it's best NOT to buy normal trip interruption insurance unless there's a similar unusual sitiation (a relative near death, for example) that's likely to interrupt your trip.

>> 3. The cost of medical evacuation or emergency treatment is quite high -- potentially $50,000 or more. If your regular health insurance does not cover you when you are at sea, or does not cover medical evacuation, be sure to get supplemental insurance to cover a medical emergency.

Norm.
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Captain

This topic does come up alot and there is no pat answer. I wholeheartedly agree with Norm and "LL" about being self insured while close to the U.S. I am a gambler and fortunately I have already won by not purchasing insurance for most of my cruises. But do I have insurance for next month to Italy/Greece/Turkey/Egypt? Yep. Did I have it for 2 weeks to Hawaii, Nope! I do think the sites that let you comparison shop are the way to go if/when you need/want insurance.
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Admiral

People gamble all the time. The odds are that you will need it at some point. It is (IMHO) best to have travel insurance.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:54 PM
Passenger

I have always used CSA and have been extremely pleased. I had to file a claim once for delayed baggage in Europe (5 days) and the airline did not cover a thing. CSA reimbursed us their maximum for clothing we had to buy, it was cold!! Friends of mine have used them too, with no problems on filing and collecting claims. Travelguard is also an excellent company.
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Passenger

We always buy trip insurance in case we have to cancel the trip for a family emergency. This may sound morbid but my wive's elderly mother and my elderly mother both have many health issues and either may pass away at anytime including cruise departure time or during the cruise. So that is why we buy the insurance. We travel with our two teen aged children and it would be a great finincial loss if we had to cancel without insurance. So far we have been lucky and our moms are still around.
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

You have to do your research. Sometimes not always Cruise lines Insurance is better than Independent. Lots of variables such as State,Cruise-line, etc.

Nile Romance Nile River 5/90
QE2 Transatlantic 8/95
Norwegian Crown Western Caribbean 4/97
Celebrity Zenith Panama Canal 04/98
Carnival Jubilee Southern Caribbean 03/99
Renaissance R3 Tahiti 11/99
Dawn Princess B2B Southern Caribbean 04/00
Norwegian Majesty Bermuda 09/00
Norwegian Wind Western Caribbean 12/03
Norwegian Spirit Southern Caribbean 12/03/04
Celebrity Horizon Western Caribbean 03/25/05
Coral Princess SB Alaska 6/18/05
Majesty of the Seas Bahamas 10/10/05
Holland America Westerdam E-W Caribbean B2B 12/4/05 12/11/05
Celebrity Millennium Panama Canal & South America 12/24/05
Regal Princess South America around Cape Horn 3/9/06
MSC Lirica Southern Caribbean/Panama 4/11/06
Island Princess North Bound Alaska 5/15/06
Caribbean Princess 9/9/06 B2B E/W Caribbean
HAL Volendam 10/14/06 S. Caribbean

Old November 19th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Captain

I didn't know about the Insureyourcruise website, so thank
you for this info.
Old November 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've used the cruiseline insurance, CSA and Access America. For the last 3 cruises Access America has been the best deal for us. We have health conditions that are under control with meds, but you never know when something will happen. My mother-in-law is almost 90 and very frail with serious medical conditions and we never know what will be going on with her at cruise time.
We feel good having insurance and with the amount of cruises we have taken and plan to take there's no way we will be paying that kind of money in insurance over the years.
The private insurance companies seem to have better coverage for less $$$ than the cruiselines.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London
1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera
Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:46 PM
First Mate

I just did Travel Guard for $25 for my upcoming cruise. It covers medical, evacuation, lost luggage, and trip delays (but doesn't cover the cruise per-se...just costs for delays in travel over a certain amount of time)

For me, the $25 is a small price to pay for peace of mind should an emergency arise.

Tracy
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Captain

Tracy, Lucky you back on the Freedom. Have a great time.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
Tracy, Lucky you back on the Freedom. Have a great time.
Thanks Lou! I am just now getting excited. As long as you wait, it tends to all the sudden sneak up so quickly. So much to do, so little time!

I will try to check in from the ship!
Tracy
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Captain

Will look forward to it...I think the Freedom now may be
my favorite ship...We had a fabulous time w/our 13 yr.
old granddaughter. She had a fabulous time w/all her friends
from literally all over the world. We can't wait to go back..
perhaps we'll try the new Liberty next time.