Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Passenger

Default Who's been to Cozumel in the past 2 months?

What condition are the Cozumel beaches in? How about coral reefs? I sounds like a lot of the coral reefs were destroyed with the Hurricanes. Have you found that to be true? Also, does anyone know if Chanakaab National Park has re-opened?
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to H.B.

I havent been there in the past 2 months, but as I posted in another thread, last April when I was there, the coral reefs were pretty much stripped from Hurricane Rita. The people who ran our excursion said that it will take years to recover. All we saw was lots of sand and a rare fish here and there. The beach where we went was beautiful. I would also be very interested in what it is like now.
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were just at Cozumel Sept. 12 on Freedom. It was a surprise to the crew and passengers that we actually docked, because of hurricane damage to the pier. We were told that prior to that voyage, the pier had been so severely damaged and under repair, that all ships had been tendering passengers ashore.

The pier was barely repaired enough to dock the ship showing massive damage being repaired. Another dock nearby was totally destroyed...the same one that one year earlier we had seen Caribbean Princess and a HAL ship docked at. Now it looks like it had been bombed. So it wouldn't surprise me at all that coral reefs normally teeming with fish were also damaged.

I'm sure the excursion companies will figure where the best snorkeling is, or they'll end up losing business as time goes on.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:21 PM
First Mate

not going to be worth getting off for us--to many ships in port, no docks & Chanukaab whihc we wanted to visit is not reall in great shape---another day at sea for us!
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to H.B.

Good choice hcat staying on the ship. I love staying on the ship while in port--no crowds to deal with. Have a great trip!!