Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Passenger

Default DRINKING WATER QUESTION

ok, so everybody says the cruise ship has this amazing filtration system, the best tasting water, better than bottled and home filtered. just out of curiousity, how do you know this and does this mean the tap water from the room sink is the same quality as the water served at the dinner table?

so, my question is this, i don't drink soda or alcohol. i just want water. should i..........

1)bring a whole luggage full of bottled water?
2)bring a brita pitcher and fill it with sink water?
3)bring an empty water bottle and refill it during meals? if so, how does this work? is there a water dispensing system like some pitchers or a water fountain? do you ask the waiters to fill it for you? can we refill it at any bar? will i be the only one doing this or does everybody do it? will i look weird bringing my own water bottle to the dinner table? thanks for your help!! =)
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Admiral

I believe all of the water comes from the same source. I believe you would be okay to drink the water from the cabin.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

While the water tastes fine, I think it has a relatively high sodium content which may or may not be a problem for you. There is no problem bringing a case and putting it through with luggage or carrying it on. I also bring an empty sports bottle to fill with iced tea or lemonade as I'm not a soda or juice drinker.
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerif
While the water tastes fine, I think it has a relatively high sodium content which may or may not be a problem for you. There is no problem bringing a case and putting it through with luggage or carrying it on. I also bring an empty sports bottle to fill with iced tea or lemonade as I'm not a soda or juice drinker.

That explains why I gain so much weight on cruises. I also drink a lot of ship water.
Old October 27th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Familiar Face

We've never had a funny taste or after-taste drinking the non-bottled water on the ships. DH only drinks bottled water at home and never said he noticed a difference.

You don't always have to get your drinking water at the dining room table. The breakfast and lunch buffett offer free water, iced tea, and lemonaide. All bars offer free glasses of water whenever you want. The servers in the lounges/bars/poolside/restaurants will even bring you glasses of water when you ask the server. I took my insulated sport bottle poolside and whenever bar service approached I always ask for a glass of iced water or sometimes I went to the pool bar to get it and then poured it into my bottle. On exursion days, we'd go to the breakfast buffet and grab 2 glasses of iced water each. We'd take the glasses back to our cabin and pour them into our bottles. Then we'd leave for our excursions with our filled bottles. You don't have to hide it, everyone does it. People even buy RCI logo bottles and refill them with the ships water.
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Admiral

deccruise,

ok, so everybody says the cruise ship has this amazing filtration system, the best tasting water, better than bottled and home filtered. just out of curiousity, how do you know this and does this mean the tap water from the room sink is the same quality as the water served at the dinner table?

First, it's not just a filtration system. It's a distillation system, and it produces Grade "B" water directly from the ocean for the ship's potable water supply. The only purer water anywhere is demineralized water, which is Grade "A." Steamships produce this, too, but only for the ship's boilers due to the cost of demineralization. Drinking water ashore is Grade "C" -- and this applies to all of your fancy bottled waters (including those sold aboard ship, by the way) as well as to water from the tap. In fact, most bottled waters are just somebody's tap water....

(Actually, there are a few places that have Grade "B" water ashore -- but only because they use "desalination" (distillation) plants as their water supply.)

Second, I "know all this" because I am a former naval officer with extensive background in marine engineering that included operation and maintenance of shipboard distillation and demineralization systems, water treatment, and related responsibilities.

Third, tap water is basically the same throughout the ship. It's stored in the same tanks and pumped by the same pumps. The only difference is which way it goes in the branching of the pipes.

Norm.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Norm: thanks for the explanation. I don't have the background you do, just a fire guy, but the small city I live & work in has always rated among the top tap water in the nation for taste and purity (Olympia, WA). You know "It's The Water" slogan for a by-gone beer? So I can taste good water, and I agree. Cruise ships, at least RCI Radiance, Voyager, and Freedom class have great water.

Deccruise: since you asked several specific questions, here's some specific answers:
1) No. Maybe 4 to 6 sealed bottles. That way you keep your luggage under the 50# limit.
2) It would have to be a small pitcher. The fridges (most staterooms have one depending on your ship) are the undercounter size, and a regular Brita pitcher wouldn't fit. Plus refilling it from the bathroom sink could prove to be quite comical.
3) You [/i]can refill a .5 liter recyclable water bottle from your bathroom sink quite nicely. I wouldn't ask the (assistant) waiter to refill your water bottle. They're quite busy serving all the food and such. You'll find a refrigerated drinking fountain with water bottle spout in the exercise areas of most ships, and up on the sports deck as well. As for the dinner table: feel confident and satisfied with the quality and taste of the ice water brought to you by your assistant waiter in the dining room, or provided at the beverage bar in the buffet restaurant. You won't need a water bottle in any restaurant.

Yours for healthy hydration, Steve
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Actually the weight gain isn't from water. Water doesn't cause weight gain - it flushes your system which is a good thing! It's lack of exercise. I asked a crew member on our cruise about that fable & she said its because people eat more on the ship than they do at home. Then rather than get off the ship & walk around, some sit by the pool or just lazy around. So you aren't burning off the food as fast, hence, weight gain.
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Actually the weight gain isn't from water. Water doesn't cause weight gain - it flushes your system which is a good thing! It's lack of exercise. "
Amen to that! I gained six (6) pounds on my last cruise! I rarely exercised and drank almost no water! Shame on me!

Jeff
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Admiral

In regard to the weight gain and it's correlation to salt is that a high salt concentration in the water will lead to water retention which can add a couple of pounds but worse is that it can increase blood pressure in people who are prone to hypertension. A good friend of mine is a microbiologist and worked for Deer Park water. It was his job to mix the electrolytes to Deer Park specs .You wouldn't believe what he told me about bottled waters. Since he knew so much about water I asked him what he drinks and he said distilled, so I think if the guy who makes Deer Park water drinks pure water than so will I.
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Cassandra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Actually the weight gain isn't from water. Water doesn't cause weight gain - it flushes your system which is a good thing! It's lack of exercise. I asked a crew member on our cruise about that fable & she said its because people eat more on the ship than they do at home. Then rather than get off the ship & walk around, some sit by the pool or just lazy around. So you aren't burning off the food as fast, hence, weight gain.
The real culprit of "sea swell" is those powered lifts that many people use to go between decks. For some reason, they inject atomized fat through your skin and into your body whenever you ride them. Passengers who use the ship's ladders rather than the powered lifts to go between decks rarely have any problem with their weight during a cruise.

Norm.
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Admiral

this is what we do,since we always fly in the day before, we hit the grocery store, buy a six-pack of water, throw it in the fridge in our cabin, and when we go thru those, we fill them up from the tap in the bathroom and chill them in the fridge.