Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Beginner

Default Best time to arrive at port?

Our family will be cruising on the Navigator on Nov 25th out of Miami. We will be doing the Western Carr. route.

Anyway the RCI indicates the boarding takes place at 2pm? I have cruised other lines before and typically we are on the ship prior to noon or soon afterwards. I assume RCI advertises 2pm but is available much sooner (or at least I hope so). What have others experienced in the past with the Navigator or other RCI ship out of Miami. If we arrive at 11am will we simply be waiting for a few hours or will we most likely get on the ship close to noon? Keep in mind that those coming off the ship will be the Thanksgiving week cruise - I assume a full load, but they are schedule to arrive port by 7am.

Lastly, my wife only drinks Caffine-free Diet Coke. I assume RCI allows for us to bring a 12 pak in our suit case. I assume they allow take on soda, just not alcohol.

Appreciate your anyone able to reply. Thanks Steve
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Best time to arrive at port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej88rit
Our family will be cruising on the Navigator on Nov 25th out of Miami. We will be doing the Western Carr. route.

Anyway the RCI indicates the boarding takes place at 2pm? I have cruised other lines before and typically we are on the ship prior to noon or soon afterwards. I assume RCI advertises 2pm but is available much sooner (or at least I hope so). What have others experienced in the past with the Navigator or other RCI ship out of Miami. If we arrive at 11am will we simply be waiting for a few hours or will we most likely get on the ship close to noon? Keep in mind that those coming off the ship will be the Thanksgiving week cruise - I assume a full load, but they are schedule to arrive port by 7am.

Lastly, my wife only drinks Caffine-free Diet Coke. I assume RCI allows for us to bring a 12 pak in our suit case. I assume they allow take on soda, just not alcohol.

Appreciate your anyone able to reply. Thanks Steve
You shouldn't have any problem if you arrive between 11am and noon. It has been my experience that RCCL will check you in and allow you to use the public areas of the ship, but your cabin may or may not be ready that early.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old October 29th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Blueliner is right. You'll be able to board the ship, but typically the cabins aren't ready until about 1 P.M., so you'll have to keep your carry on with you until then. Not a big deal unless you bring lots and lots of carry on. Yes, you should be able to bring your Coke aboard with you. I've seen people carrying lots and lots of water, Coke, and other non alcoholic drinks with no problem.
Have a great cruise!

Ken
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Steve: We just cruised on Freedom OTS last month out of Miami, same suggested arrival time by RCI of 2 pm. We didn't arrive at the pier until 11:15 or so, and were waiting in the terminal for about an hour before we boarded. I believe RCI has bumped their "suggested arrival time" back to 2 pm to encourage folks not to all arrive within the same time frame, and clog up the terminal. That said, I like to arrive around 10 am, even if it means waiting. On Navigator (two years ago), we were among the first to board about noon.

At least you've arrived, can relax upon check-in, and enjoy being among the first to board. The other posters are correct about your stateroom not being ready until 1 pm. That will give you time to explore the rest of the ship, or go directly to the Windjammer for lunch, and then explore. I wouldn't think you'd have any problem with bringing your own special sodas with you.

Have a great cruise, Steve
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Arrive late...no wait...enjoy the city a little longer,and eat lunch on board the ship....just my two cents
Old October 30th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Admiral

If you plan on arriving early, have everything you need for the first several hours in your carry-on. For example, I like to hit the pool first thing, so I usually wear my swimsuit under my clothes and have an extra set of casual clothes for dinner in my carry on, together with my sunscreen, paperback novel, and anything else that I may want to use before my cabin is ready and before the luggage gets to the cabin.

In some cases, your room may be ready before your luggage arrives.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old October 30th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

we were there for 11:00, had a line to deal with but was on the ship before 12:00
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old October 30th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Captain

Maybe we've just been lucky, but we always arrive early...10:30 to
11:00....We're usually in the port city the day prior and we have
breakfast, repack, try to relax, then get antsy and leave for the
pier. The longest we've had to wait is about an hour, and usually
we're on board the ship within an hour...we sometimes go to the
Windjammer for lunch, leave the carryons with my husband, sitting
in a shady lounge chair, and start exploring the ship until our cabin
is ready.

Have fun!!
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I plan on arriving in Ft Lauderdale tomorrow by 10:30 AM. There is always a special line for Platinum and Diamond members that get's you onboard right away. I have been onboard as early as 11:15.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am curious about arrival in port as well. We are cruising the Dec. 23 sailing of the Radiance. Our plane arrives in Ft. Lauderdale at 10 am and we are going straight to the ship. I am thinking that we will be at the ship by 11:30, but not sure how long we would have to wait.

Previously on our last Carnival cruise boarding was at 2 and we arrived at 11. We had to wait 2 hours for boarding. I am hoping for quicker embarkation this time.