Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Captain

Default cabin size improved ????

Has the cabin size improved on the newer RCCL ships? I was really disappointed with the size of our cabin on the Majesty of the Seas....I am comparing to Carnival oceanviews.
I would like to try one of the newest RCCL ships, but only if the cabins are decent size......especially a balcony cabin....anyone tell me about these compared to Carnival.
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Admiral

We just returned from a cruise aboard the "Mariner of the Seas" and I have to report that the cabin was a bit smaller than a comperable cabin aboard any of the Carnival ships. It was a nice cabin, and the A/C worked much better than the Carnival Air Conditioning, but it had less space for hanging clothing, a smaller bath room, less drawer space, and in general less space. I just think that RCI is more interested in cramming as many people as possible into the space they have.

Ken
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Cabins on the newer Royal Caribbean ships are much larger than the older ships. We sailed on Majesty when she was new, and those cabins are on the small size, you'll be much happier with the cabins on any Voyager, Radiance or Freedom class ships.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Donna. The cabins on RCI ships have gotten larger with each new family of ships after the Sovereign class. I also think there's more to the cabin than just size though, and that's overall look and layout.

I've been on the Carnival Spirit and while the staterooms were comfortably sized, they were somewhat plain in appearance to my taste. It seemed no matter what category, the colors and accruitements were the same.

What RCI has done is subtle things such as curving the corners of the foot of the bed so you can walk around it easily; added small corner shelves above the vanity, fold-down hanger racks in the closet for flexible clothes storage, improved lighting and richer colors of dark blue, gold and burgundy. The fabrics, carpet, wood and wall art are very warm and inviting. On Freedom, they've used greens as a primary color. Also replacing conventional TV's with flat panel LCD TV's adds more volume to the space.

Balcony size has been increased significantly on the Freedom OTS as well. It's now a full 2 feet deeper providing much more space for walking around the chairs and enjoying the view.
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Captain

I show that the Freedom cabin is 177 sq ft and the balcony 74 sq ft.....and I believe Carnival Conquest and Glory are 185 sq ft total....wish I could veerify that. that is a BIG difference to me. And the RCCL Empress shows 214 sq ft for the cabin and 46 sqft for the balcony....so must be smaller balconies and larger cabins....still comes out to be about 250 sq ft...which is MUCH larger than Carnival.
Anyone else with input who have sailed both?????
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joie
I show that the Freedom cabin is 177 sq ft and the balcony 74 sq ft.....and I believe Carnival Conquest and Glory are 185 sq ft total....wish I could veerify that. that is a BIG difference to me. And the RCCL Empress shows 214 sq ft for the cabin and 46 sqft for the balcony....so must be smaller balconies and larger cabins....still comes out to be about 250 sq ft...which is MUCH larger than Carnival.
Anyone else with input who have sailed both?????
The E category cabins on Freedom are 177 with a 74 sqft balcony...The D category cabins are 189 sqft with 69 sqft balconies. Freedom class has the largest balconies in their fleet.