Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Passenger

Default Orlando to Port Canaveral, is a rental car the best option?

Booked the Febraury 4th Mariner and we are flying into Orlando and spending the night on the 3rd.

With that considered is the best option to rent a car upon arrival and drop it off in Cape Canaveral - then taking a shuttle or taxi to the port? Then on the 11th pick up a rental again and drop it off at the Orlando airport.

Has anyone else done that and how did it work out?

If close in terms of costs I would rather not have to deal with the transfer lines and waiting or having to ride in a cab for close to an hour.

Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Admiral

We rented a car from Budget, dropped it off at their location very close to the port and they shuttled us to our ship. Book your car for your return at the same time to insure they have it waiting there for you. I think you will have to call them on the 11th to let them know you have returned and have them pick you up at the port.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Passenger

What did you end up doing? I am cruising in dec 07 and right now I have transfers from RCC for 69$ round trip PP from orlando to the port and back but after reading some of these I didnt realize it will be a longer drive and many stops at hotels that morning.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Passenger

We leave on the 5th.I rented a car for the 3rd- the 5th and again on the 12th.I went with thrifty they were by far the cheapest.Budget was almost twice as much.Thrifty has shuttle service as well. I to am renting the car from the airport in orlando and dropping it off in cape canaveral.Than renting in cape canaveral and dropping it off at the airport..Deanna
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Passenger

We ended up renting a car from Thirfty just as the previous poster did. We arrived on the day before, got the rental car at the airport, spent the night in Orlando and enjoyed ourselves there. The next day we woke up and made the drive to the Thirfty office in Cape Canaveral and took the shuttle over to the ship. At the end of the trip we did the exact opposite.

in my opinion this is the way to do it. Not only is it less expensive than the shuttle but you can go at your own pace and eliminate all the waiting, stops and cramped bus seating.

Patrick
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Rental Idea

Ahoy,

Call Enterprise Rental Car. I believe that they may have some car rental sites right at hotels near the port. There are some hotels that have
transportation to the port.

Check into this. Also, better make sure that you are aware of any one-way drop-off charges involved.

Is this your first time on Mariner?

I am sailing 9/9/07. If you want, I can e-mail you all the exciting (I hope) news!

Take care and Happy Sailing.

Diane

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Budget does not charge you a one-way fee and I don't think the other companies do either. Enterprise was twice as much because they are available at the hotels.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Passenger

I looked into rental car companies for our trip 12-2-07 and Thrifty was cheaper until I went on to the screen with all the taxes and fees. They ended up being more than budget.
The 27$ car suddenly turned into 43$ with all the fees. This wasnt even with any additional insurance.
I am still up in the air about wether we should rent a car or stick with the transfers from RCC.
How is traffic from orlando to the port? My husband is a truck driver and I just dont want the start of our trip to be dealing with traffic and stressful like he deals with daily in chicago and indiana.
Anyway anybody out there taken the transfers from RCC? I have heard alot of people reviewing the rental car experience but not the transfers from RCC.
Are you really packed into this bus with a million poeple taking twice as long to get to the port or is it fun to board with others going on the same cruise you are and the start of a relaxing time?
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to wraithe Send a message via Yahoo to wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseygirl
I looked into rental car companies for our trip 12-2-07 and Thrifty was cheaper until I went on to the screen with all the taxes and fees. They ended up being more than budget.
The 27$ car suddenly turned into 43$ with all the fees. This wasnt even with any additional insurance.
I am still up in the air about wether we should rent a car or stick with the transfers from RCC.
How is traffic from orlando to the port? My husband is a truck driver and I just dont want the start of our trip to be dealing with traffic and stressful like he deals with daily in chicago and indiana.
Anyway anybody out there taken the transfers from RCC? I have heard alot of people reviewing the rental car experience but not the transfers from RCC.
Are you really packed into this bus with a million poeple taking twice as long to get to the port or is it fun to board with others going on the same cruise you are and the start of a relaxing time?
I rented at Budget at MCO, drove down to our hotel, very easy, straight shot. Next day, took our luggage to the port and dropped it with the porters, then took the car back to the Astronaut Blvd office (CC5) and rode their shuttle to the port. On return, boarded the shuttle to Budget and by 10:00 I was on my way up the rode, in my nice, comfortable mid-size vehicle. If there are more than 1 of you, then renting a car is much less expensive than transfers. Matter of fact, when I sailed on Radiance, we flew into Sanford (Orlando's other airport), rented from Budget and drove the rest of the way down to Fort Lauderdale, since the flights were so much cheaper, and there aren't any one way drop off fees in Florida. Hope that helps a little. I would strongly urge you to rent your own vehicle.

Past Cruises:
USS Henry L. Stimson-SSBN 655 Gold (4 Patrols 1988-1991)
USS Daniel Webster-SSBN 626 Blue (Conversion Crew)
USS Nebraska-SSBN-739 Blue (5 Patrols 1995-1998)
USS Wyoming-SSBN 742 Blue (3 Patrols 2002-2004)

Grandeur of the Seas-10/28/2005 - 10/13/2006 - 10/05/2007
Mariner of the Seas-4/2/2006
Radiance of the Seas-3/17/2007

Upcoming Cruises
Grandeur of the Seas-4/12/2008 - 4/19/2008- 10/30/2008
Celebrity Century-2/9/2009