Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Category E-1 rear facing balcony on Mariner

Anyone been in this cabin or one like it #7390 or 7690?? Does the structure block your view? It looks like if you fell over the rail you would not go in the water though. Anyone have any pictures. It is 184 SF with 46 SF balcony but I have heard the rear facing ones have larger balconies.

Here is deck plan:

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Dave, I was in the 1390 cabin just below the cafeteria,you can see the balconies down.This balcony is longer,part shade part sunny,you have a nice view and I loved it. Happy sailing. Mateli .
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dave,
I actually had a simular cabin on Freedom and while the corner ones would be even nicer, they are fine. You are not directly over the water, but much better than even the cabin more center to those. You can still get a good side view from those cabins and don't have as many of the structual metel in back of you, but there is some.

Yes, the balcony is huge, you'll have in addition to the table and 2 chairs, but 2 lounge chairs also, very nice!

I think you'll be very happy with either of those cabins.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Thanks guys for the info. I was trying to find a good picture of them. Any Voyager class should be about the same. I am think of changing from my larger oceanview all the way forward on deck 9 to one of these. It is $220 more total.

It is hard to tell from the picture. It seems the center ones and the top ones have the larger balconies. Also the corners. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Hey Dave:
Just sailed the Mariner, and a good friend was in 8390, on the corner. We got to spend a bit of time with them, in that cabin. It was really, really nice, with a huge balcony. Yes, there was some structural obstruction, but not enough to be concerned with. If you're going to go with a balcony, you might as well go first class, and get one of these rear facing cabins. I'd bet you'll really enjoy it.
Happy sailing,

Ken
Old November 11th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Ken. That 8390 it right above. It is the same category but the corner and deck 8 in general seem to have a larger balcony. I think I am pretty convinced. The price difference seems to be worth it. An inside cabin was $2400, the larger outside $2700 and this one $2900 for 3 people. On my recent Enchantment cruise it was double the price to go from inside to balcony.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Dave, I had an aft balcony cabin recently on the Adventure of the Seas, 1394 and it was great! Long balcony with more of an overhang than the normal cabins, thought I would not get much sun but came back to the cabin one day for a break from the sun about 1:30 P.M. and the sun really beamed into the balcony until it was time for it to set. Great place to watch the ship sail off after leaving ports and it was right below the windjammer and did not hear any noise. It is also a long walk from the elevators but that is ok because I needed to work off all of the beer and food that I consumed. There are only a few of those cabins back there so I would grab it. Bob
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Thanks Bob, I think I will call my TA Monday AM. I am sure the ones on the upper decks and corners are better but this one on deck & looks pretty good too. It is not that much of a premium and seems a better location than those on the sides of the ship for the same money.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Now that I have switched from 9218 Oceanview to 7390 rear facing balcony, I see that 7388 came available. This is the one on the corner. Any experience with this one. It seems deck 8 covers it some and there may be more obstructions. Does it have access to the big circular hole in the side of the ship where there is a rail? My TA already knows I am a PIA but now I may switch again.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Admiral

I am a real PIA. Now I did switch from 7390 to 7388 and found this post on the "Ships Secret Cabin" topic by Chrissy:

Quote:
BTW a great cabin was on the VOS 7388 it was a corner aft and the balcony was huge. It had 2 lounge chairs plus a table and chairs so we ate breakfast out there every morning. That was our first balcony and now I think we are forever spoiled, I tried to get an aft for a Nov trip on the JOS but they werent available, hope Im not too dissappointed.
So now I just have to hurry up and wait.

PS Now I asked (why should I have to ask?) my TA to find out about the special pricing for Plat and Diamond members for balconies and I save $200 off the balcony cabin. SO now it is the same price as the oceanview I had originally booked. Also after all this, the rates just went up today across the board by at least $100 PP so I did it just in time.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Admiral

YOu did good Dave, even if you are a PITA.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Donna! (you are so hot! ) I have found some pictures on other sites of this cabin and now am very excited about my selection. It seems many times larger than the 46 SF that the same Category on the sides have.

I think it may qualify as one of the "Ship's Secret Cabins" 8)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Hey Dave,
They really are much nicer, I think you made the wise choice and will try to get them all the time, at least I do.

I think the secret is out :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Dave, You did well to switch. I was on the Mariner a couple of years ago in cabin 7688 which is on the opposite side from you. The balcony is very good sized--- the large round " hole " will allow you to have good views of the side of the ship also.
The grillwork on the rear of the ship is not much of a problem with these lower corner cabins. I would not stay in an aft cabin in the center area as your view would be somewhat like looking out at a large grey flat roof.
Good choice-- hang onto it happy sails.
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Thanks for all your input everybody! Any pictures? I found some on another site. You do have a view out of the big round hole and quite an expanse of balcony deck. It seems the decks are terraced heading up but deck 6 below is straight below and what is that large deck area on deck 6. Their balconies look over it but what is it used for if anything?? I saw one picture where a couple had dragged a couple of lounges out there. It seems like wasted space unless it is used for some deck party or something.

Ok, one last questions. The deck plan (above) shows a stairwell all the way aft in the corners. Is this accessible to passengers? Will it take you all the way topside??

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Admiral

The stairway right back there is only for the staff. We did get yelled at for using them. Unless you can get some kind of permission to use them?

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

#1,DONNA IS A HOTTIE,#2,DAVE WILL USE THIS STAIRWELL,BECAUSE,ITS THERE,WHY DOES A MAN CLIMB A MOUNTAIN?ALL I KNOW IS IVE GOT TO GET ME THIS CABIN TOO ONE DAY! THAT DAVE IS A GOOD SALESMEN.
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Admiral

That large flat area is what I was referring to as looking like a flat grey roof. People staying in the center aft cabins have this as their " view".
You definitely got the best location, in my opinion.

The stairs are crew only and the couple of times I tried to sneak and use them I was chastized by the same manly looking blond crew lady so after the second time I was afraid she was too much for me to tangle with so I gave it up.
Luck to you.
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Yeoman

Dave, here is a great compilation of photos of Voyager Class aft balconies on Voyager class ships. Thanks to Bonnie Voyager. Check it out. Also, I had 7608 on Freedom which is corner aft, so I may be able to answer questions you have. Just let me know.

p.s. The 2nd page of her album has pics of 7390.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Thanks, Donna. I am sure curiosity will ge the better of me and I will find the hidden stairway. Thanks Ron, all that structure back there must serve some purpose but other ships are built without it. That deck on 6 seems a good place to have a private party wonder if it is used for anything. If you are on the middle of deck 6 aft that is not such a great view.

Thanks, Fitzla, I will go and check out those pics. Does the sun ever shine on this balcony? It seems in the shade of deck 8 above.

On another note, this seems to be a triple with one pullman. It wasn't available when I searched for a double or quad. I guess you could get it as a double if the ship was not at capacity. This will be the dad with two boys 14 and 10 cruise and our first Voyager class and first balcony so we are excited. I have to teach the kids the ways of cruising. This will be their 6th. I am training the older one in the proper form of belly flop for when I retire. 8)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Yeoman

The sun does shine there, but it does get some shade as well. We had plenty of sun. This was a GREAT balcony!

p.s. we used that stairway a few times. Just a little side not....use it to get to your muster station which will be right at the bottom of that stairway, and use it to get back....it is much faster.
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the tips, Fitzla. I checked out those webshots. Great pictures!! It seems the SF of the balcony may exceed the cabin.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Thanks for the tips, Fitzla. I checked out those webshots. Great pictures!! It seems the SF of the balcony may exceed the cabin.
It does extend beyond the stateroom, but quite a bit. Great place for a party.
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Admiral

So, Dave the Wave,

You know, I’ve got to give credit where credit is due.

And you’re right, Donna is a “hottie.? And so is MaryLou!

And yet perhaps we could maintain a bit of decorum wherein our Cruisemates staff are concerned!

After all, our fair ladies are married…..

And yet, as a fellow man, I hear ya, brother. And you know, I’m getting too old for this kind of thing….. I mean when you get to be my age, it’s time to hang it up!

But you’re still young – enjoy your youth while you still have it!

Dean
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Admiral

I am still trying to enjoy my youth. I stopped getting older at 40. To me it is one long "Endless Summer" and I am forever on "Spring Break" 8)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

8) ITS ME,I DID IT,I JUST BOOKED 7388,ON THE NAVIGATOR,5 DAYS,11-24-07,THANKS TO DAVES RESEARCH,ALSO I MAY BE INTERESTED IN A HONDA PILOT HOW ARE THE TWO WHEEL DRIVES?MAYBE IF YOU CAN CUT ME A DEAL? MY WIFE WANTS TO TRADE IN HER CAMRY.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Cool Greg! I will be good pics for you when I go. PM me about the Pilot. Go to the top and see the deck plan. The balcony extends that whole area from where the cabin stops to the side of ship.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old December 11th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

DAVE I JUST GOT MY EMAIL FROM MY TA,AND I DIDNT GET 7388,I GOT 7688,SHOULD I TRY AND SWITCH? OR IT SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE THE SAME???WHAT DO YOU THINK? GREG OH,YEA, 25 DAYS TILL I AM ON THE PEARL HELL YEA, FORGET THE MOJITO'S,I WANNA DRINK THE STUFF THAT MADE THEM RUSSIANS THROW THAT GUY OVER!!???!!!
Old December 12th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Admiral

HK, 7688 is the mirror image. Don't think it matters. Port instead of starboard. I can't wait. Of course I will have pictures when I get back.

Absynthe I think it is called. Be careful near the railing with that stuff!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Great cabins, both are the same....I'd keep it, enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator