Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Passenger

Default Wheelchair advice

Help, two weeks to go for our BTB on the Navigator. Yesterday I tripped and have broken a bone in my foot and suffered severe ligament damage. My left leg is in plaster up to my knee.
I have two options, do not go on the cruise and claim on my insurance or go and take a wheelchair. The question is wll I manage in a wheelchair on the ship and at the ports? Has anybody any experience of using a wheelchair on the Navigator ? Will the crew help you board ?
I'm really upset at my stupidity in breaking my foot and I don't want to cancel this cruise. been booked for 18 months and in an aft balcony.
Any advice appreciated.

Zuiderdam Mar 04
Empress OTS Dec 04
Legend OTS Oct 05
Navigator OTS -Nov 06 - BTB - West & East
NCL Jade Dec 08

Explorer OTS Feb 09
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi! Why don't you ask for a handicap cabin?More space to move around and a large shower.Hope you feel o.k. to go.Good luck. Mateli
Old November 12th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Passenger

My father -in-law is in a wheel chair, and has done Holland and Princess with no problems. When booking a cruise for a person in a wheel chair, most will say, of the mainstream lines, only do Princess, Holland America, and Royal Caribbean. I do not think you will have any problems. Do call your agent and have them got you a handicapped cabin. If they cannot be of service, call RCCL directly and explain your situation. i am sure they have a special needs department.
Ectasy 1993
Statendam 1993, 1994, 1996
Royal Princess 1995
Veendam 1997
Splendor of the Seas 1998
Elation 1999
Volendam 1999
Rotterdam 2000
Monarch of the Seas 2001
Explorer of the Seas 2002
Golden Princess 2003
Caribbean Princess 2004
Jewel of the Seas 2006*
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Hi mocsa,

As you probably know, it's much too late to book a handicapped cabin!

Will you need a wheelchair onboard, or just for embarkation and debarkation? If you need a chair onboard, check for a wheelchair rental store at your embarkation port. If you have a "walking shoe" or something similar, you should call RCL and tell them you need help embarking and debarking. The crew will help you board and debark (and on the tender's, if needed).

If you need the wheelchair onboard, whomever you're cruising with will have to help you. The crew generally will not help you get around the ship.

I do hope you don't have to cancel and you have a wonderful cruise!

We "klutz's" have to stick together !

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old November 13th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Passenger

Why not rent a mobility scooter to use on the ship -- the ship is very long in length. Care Vacations is the best -- an 800 number located in Alberta, Canada OR you can obtain information on line by www.cruiseshipassist.com. They deliver right to the ship and have it waiting in your room for you -- wheelchair or mobility scooter - expensive but worth every dime when you have difficulty walking. As you probably know, the ship is balanced by activities - front (theatre) to back (dining) and lots inbetween and lots of decks. Elevators and dining room are big enough on that ship not to have to worry about anything.

The mobility scooter is also great off the ship -- for shopping, but cannot go on buses or tenders -- wheelchairs can. In case you don't know, it gets plugged in nightly and runs off electricity -- the type you rent depends on your weight. Some have very good turning bases (3 wheel).

The crew is very helpful with helping you -- but will not push you or allow you to take a Royal Caribbean wheelchair off the ship -- thus renting one is the best option.
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the replies, I have spoken to the airline (Virgin) and they will assist at Heathrow, I have also spoken to RCCL and whilst there are no handicap rooms I will be taking a wheelchair to help me get around the ship.

One good thing my docs came today !! Yippeeeeeeeeee!!!

Mocsa

Zuiderdam Mar 04
Empress OTS Dec 04
Legend OTS Oct 05
Navigator OTS -Nov 06 - BTB - West & East
NCL Jade Dec 08

Explorer OTS Feb 09
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Admiral

That's great, mocsa!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise! I know you can't do the "doc dance", but try dancing in your chair!

I'm so happy that you'll be able to take your cruise!

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Yes, whatever you do, DON'T cancel that cruise! Cruiselines have gotten better at being accomodating, but don't let them tell you that you cannot get somewhere or do something because of being in a wheelchair. They're usually pretty good, but sometimes you might run into a crew member who isn't as knowledgeable....

Another suggestion: When waiting for an elevator, take the FIRST one that comes, no matter what direction it is going! When my sister & I took my Mom on a cruise, invaribly the elevator was full by the time it got to us in the direction we wanted to go, so we finally learned to push the buttons in both directions and take whatever showed up! Otherwise we would be there forever! Just remember...what goes up, must come down!!

Also sorry to hear about your leg, but I'm glad you can still go! Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas