Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Linda A
Default Ages of kids and Travel Question

What would you tell two sets of siblings who claim they cannot go on a cruise (never been on one) with their children. One set has a 15 month old and the other has a 3 almost 4 year old. They feel like it is too much money and they will not have fun having the little ones along. They do not want to go out of the country (Caribbean) with out them. I agree that it is silly that you have to pay the same amount as an adult for the 15 month but they could have gone for 7 days for $1800.00 We are looking at condo's in Florida for $1400 and that is not rental cars, gas or food.

What do you think??
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What would you tell two sets of siblings who claim they cannot go on a cruise (never been on one) with their children. One set has a 15 month old and the other has a 3 almost 4 year old. They feel like it is too much money and they will not have fun having the little ones along. They do not want to go out of the country (Caribbean) with out them. I agree that it is silly that you have to pay the same amount as an adult for the 15 month but they could have gone for 7 days for $1800.00 We are looking at condo's in Florida for $1400 and that is not rental cars, gas or food.
You tell the parents of the three year old that the youngster will have a totally wonderful time plaing with other children of similar age, under the constant supervision of professional staff, in the children's program, and that they will have a real vacation because they won't have to spend the whole time chasing the youngster.

And you tell the parents of the fifteen month old that there's a great children's center where they can take the child to play, though an adult will have to remain there with the child.

And if they remain obstinate, you go on the cruise without them and let them do their own thing without you, then compare notes after your respective vacations.

BTW, the charge for the child is for a third berth so it's much less than for the first two adults in the cabin, and it includes the children's program for the three-year-old and use of the children's center for the fifteen month old.

Norm.
Old November 25th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Linda A

Thanks,

I just don't get it. This was for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary and they won't go!!! Thanks for your input.

Oh well,

Linda
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Passenger

Some people just don't want to hear it. There are so many people that have misconceptions about cruises and no matter how many times you tell them they just have their ideas and there is nothing you can do to change them. Go without them.

I went on my first two cruises alone with my husband, my third was with my husband, and 9 year old and 8 month old daughters, the fourth cruise was my husband, me (at 6 months pregnant) my 10 year old, and 22 month old. We had a blast at all of them.

Now we are leaving Saturday for another one- my husband, 12 year old, 3.5 year old, and 18 month old. I'm sure we will have just as much fun as we did before. I would never in a million years travel without my kids at such early ages (maybe when they are older, like ove 6 or 7).
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I just don't get it. This was for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary and they won't go!!!
In that case, both you and your siblings should do whatever your parents want to do since it's their anniversary -- and so should your siblings. If your parents want to go on a cruise, your siblings should go along. But if your parents do not want to go on a cruise, you should go along with their wishes.

Norm.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Ages of kids and Travel Question

Speaking from experience my now 11 year old was forced to go on a cruise at age 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, often more than once a year. He never had fun, never learned about other cultures and world history, won't forgive me for making him dress up, and forced me to pay for him to become a SCUBA diver at age 10.

Its all true what they say, young kids don't enjoy cruising and they grow up into broody preteens who dress in black, sniff air tanks, and hang out with beach bumbs and dive rift raft.

The key operative is the parents may not have fun, however the kids should do fine. If worried, you can hire this Life Guard, Rescue Diver and Divemaster and his sidekick who is also CPR and AED certified as babysitters. Come to think of it you can also find other sitters on the ship, as some of the crew will usually do that for a fee. 8)

MY ADVICE - TAKE THE KIDDOS AND ARRANGE FOR A SITTER AS SOON AS YOU BOARD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda A

What do you think??
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas