Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Passenger

Default Letter from non custodial parent?

We are sailing on the Mariner Dec 3, less than a week from now. I decided to check out some of the forums here on family cruising just now and came across a few posts where people were mentioning notarized letters from non custodial parents.

We are a blended family, my 12 year old daughter's father is in PA (we are in AL). If I need a letter from her father, there is now way I can get that by the time we leave. By the time he gets it notarized and mails it to me we'll be gone on our trip. I had never heard of this rule til just now, so it never crossed my mind.

Also, this will be her third cruise with us, and her second time on the Mariner. She has a passport and we have never been asked for any letter from her father before. Is this something new? Or maybe just a rumor?

I could always ask her father to do this for me in a hurry, but to be honest he's so lazy and slow that I know It wouldn't get here til it's too late. He's got a million excuses for not doing things on time and I'm pretty sure this would be the same.
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Admiral

It would be smart to get one. With the passport, you might slip on by. However, with the theft of kids, the rules have been tightened.

FedEX next day and you will get it before you cruise.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Passenger

The only problem with Fedex is getting him to get off his arse and get to the notary, then to fedex. A million excuses about why he doesn't have time and then when I ask him for a definite answer about when he'll do it, he'll say "I dunno, maybe today if I think of it" No matter how important something is, this is his answer, lol!
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Well, you are going to have to try the passport thing and hope nobody asks.

I have seen some folks traveling with kids (Dave the Wave for one with his two sons) and not having the other parent's "letter". Many said there was no problem.

But, there is always a first time.

I wish you well and good luck.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Admiral

wiehlm,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are sailing on the Mariner Dec 3, less than a week from now. I decided to check out some of the forums here on family cruising just now and came across a few posts where people were mentioning notarized letters from non custodial parents.

We are a blended family, my 12 year old daughter's father is in PA (we are in AL). If I need a letter from her father, there is now way I can get that by the time we leave. By the time he gets it notarized and mails it to me we'll be gone on our trip. I had never heard of this rule til just now, so it never crossed my mind.

Also, this will be her third cruise with us, and her second time on the Mariner. She has a passport and we have never been asked for any letter from her father before. Is this something new? Or maybe just a rumor?

I could always ask her father to do this for me in a hurry, but to be honest he's so lazy and slow that I know It wouldn't get here til it's too late. He's got a million excuses for not doing things on time and I'm pretty sure this would be the same.
This is the normal rule when the non-custodial parent has visitation rights, primarily because custodial parents have sometimes removed children from the country to prevent non-custodial parents from exercising their visititation rights. Where there are no visitation rights, it should not be an issue. Thus, an official copy (with seal) of the court order showing that you have exclusive custody and that the child's father does not have visitation rights should be just as good.

Norm.
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Passenger

Okay, I just called RC and was told that since it's a domestic sailing we are cool. Apparently Mexico and the Carribean don't count as "leaving the country" so as long as one parent is with her she will be fine. I figured this was the case because this will be the third time we have done this with her and haven't had a problem yet.
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Admiral

RC is wrong. Once you leave US waters and enter the waters of another country, you are no longer in the US or covered by US law. You don't say where you are going, but if it is the typical Mexico/Caribbean cruise, you will indeed not be on a "domestic" US cruise.

"International Travel With Minors (including Canada & Mexico)

- Due to international concern over child abduction, many governments have initiated additional requirements at arrival and departure points when children under 18 years old are not traveling with both parents.

- Many countries require documentary evidence of the adults' relationship and permission of the parent(s) or legal guardian before they will allow the child to cross the border. Single parents, grandparents or guardians traveling with children often need proof of custody or notarized letters from the other parent authorizing travel. These requirements are in addition to passport or proof of citizenship requirements.

- Minor traveling with one parent: If a minor child is traveling with only one parent, the absent parent is expected to provide notarized consent. If only one parent has legal custody, that parent should be prepared to provide a court order of child custody to airlines and international authorities.

- Minor traveling alone: If a minor child is traveling alone or in someone else's company, both parents (or the sole, documented custodial parent) must provide notarized consent.

- Minor with a different last name: If a child traveling has a different last name from the mother and/or father, the parents should be prepared to provide evidence to airlines and official authorities, such as a birth certificate or adoption decree, to prove that they are the parents.

- Minor has one deceased parent: If one parent is deceased, a death certificate is required.

- Minor has one parent: If the birth certificate shows that the minor only has one parent, it will be sufficient to hold only a notarized copy of the birth certificate."

Old November 27th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I have cruised 5 tims with my boys. We have same last name of course. The first 3 times, I took the signed notarized letter and was never asked for it. The last two times I didn't bother and it was never an issue. Maybe they are tightening things up. We have "shared parental responsibility" as it is called in Florida. We don't have passports yet either. I plan to get them next year. Since I won't yet need them this May, I have put it off.

Now combine the cruise with air travel and it may be a different story.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Admiral

A few post up, I used you as an "example" that sometimes they never ask.

Old November 27th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Yes, I saw that Irish Shark. I think next time I will bring it anyway and see. Not worth taking the chance they don't let you board!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Passenger

Dave you bring up an interesting point regarding the last names. My daughter has my maiden name as her last name, not her fathers. My passport has my maiden name since I got it before I got married, so for this trip, my daughter and I have the same last name on our reservation. Now, my other two children have my husbands last name (which also happens to be the name I use regularly and is on my driver's license). Who's to say my two younger children are mine? Or maybe they are my niece and nephew who have the same last name as my husband? How can anyone possibly prove the legal guardianship of any child based on passport alone and since it's recommended to use passports instead of birth certificates nowadays, we will be leaving the birth certificates at home. For all they know my current husband is her bio father and we just decided to give my maiden name to one child, and his name to the other two.
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Admiral

Irish Shark,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
RC is wrong. Once you leave US waters and enter the waters of another country, you are no longer in the US or covered by US law. You don't say where you are going, but if it is the typical Mexico/Caribbean cruise, you will indeed not be on a "domestic" US cruise.

"International Travel With Minors (including Canada & Mexico)

- Due to international concern over child abduction, many governments have initiated additional requirements at arrival and departure points when children under 18 years old are not traveling with both parents.

- Many countries require documentary evidence of the adults' relationship and permission of the parent(s) or legal guardian before they will allow the child to cross the border. Single parents, grandparents or guardians traveling with children often need proof of custody or notarized letters from the other parent authorizing travel. These requirements are in addition to passport or proof of citizenship requirements.

- Minor traveling with one parent: If a minor child is traveling with only one parent, the absent parent is expected to provide notarized consent. If only one parent has legal custody, that parent should be prepared to provide a court order of child custody to airlines and international authorities.

- Minor traveling alone: If a minor child is traveling alone or in someone else's company, both parents (or the sole, documented custodial parent) must provide notarized consent.

- Minor with a different last name: If a child traveling has a different last name from the mother and/or father, the parents should be prepared to provide evidence to airlines and official authorities, such as a birth certificate or adoption decree, to prove that they are the parents.

- Minor has one deceased parent: If one parent is deceased, a death certificate is required.

- Minor has one parent: If the birth certificate shows that the minor only has one parent, it will be sufficient to hold only a notarized copy of the birth certificate."
(boldface in original)

Now that you post it, I recall seeing this on the Department of State's web site a while ago. Although authorities often do not screen passengers who arrive on cruise ships as thoroughly as they screen passengers arriving on airplanes and persons crossing land borders, they have the absolute right to do so. I agree completely with your point that it's best to have proper documentation with you, as it will simplify matters considerably if your cruise happens to become the occasional exception to the normal practice.

Norm.
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Admiral

I had a simular situation a couple of cruises ago. DW and i were traveling with my granddaughter and my neice. Since my granddaughter has the same last name as ours, it was no problem. My neice on the other hand was. We were in Maimi checking in when the attendant asked me who she was. I told her she is my neice. The attendant promptly asked me for a notorized letter. I told her we were from California and did not have one and didn't know we needed one. To make a long story short, we called her mom right there from the terminal in Maimi. Her mom drafted a letter ran out and got it notorized and faxed it to RCCL. It worked out. We always board early so we had 4 or 5 hours before we departed. Wiehlm, don't take any chances press the issue and do what you must to insure everyone has a great cruise. Enjoy your trip.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Default Got a Certified Copy of the Decree?

Y'all might also handle this with a copy of the decree if it specifies custody times? Would also recommend getting a letter in the future.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via ICQ to NeevaNuttMard
Default http://www.cheapfreerunks2013au.com/nike-free-30-v3-mens-c-4.html

cheap nike free shoes
,Mrrell offers dynamic performance footwear for men, women and kids,
Hot Style Adidas Js Logo Men Shoes Sale.
,perfect for any rugged or urban adventure. Always progressive in design and focused on comfort and quality,
isabel marant shoes
Check out our action-packed adidas shop to find the footwear you need to reach your maximum athletic potential.
jeremy scott shoes
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiehlm View Post

Here is Royal Caribbean's policy- click on Family legal documents.
Required Travel Documents for Cruise Passengers - Royal Caribbean International