Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Captain

Default What did you forget to bring that you really needed?

It seems that every cruise I go on, there is always something I wish I had brought, or that I discovered I needed for that cruise. One such thing was aloe vera gel. I got a sunburn on one of the cruises and discovered that I didn't bring any aloe vera. Aloe vera is very expensive on the ship. So, every cruise I have taken since then, I have brought aloe vera gel.

What are some of the things you haven't taken that you wish you had?

Libragirl
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

More money!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Admiral

DTW, Ditto
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Passenger

Our little cloths hamper that folds flat. Instead of just throwing eveything on the floor in the closet.
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Captain

Chew,

I always take a garbage bag or large shopping bag to put dirty clothes in.

Libragirl
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Hair ties/scrunchies and extra batteries for the camera. But now I make it a point to stop at a Walgreens/CVS just before getting to port and walking around to make sure I have everything I need
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What did you forget to bring that you really needed?

Travel documents - once left the pack at an airline counter years ago. Got them back soon enough, but I can't think of anything worse than arriving at the dock without your papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
It seems that every cruise I go on, there is always something I wish I had brought, or that I discovered I needed for that cruise. One such thing was aloe vera gel. I got a sunburn on one of the cruises and discovered that I didn't bring any aloe vera. Aloe vera is very expensive on the ship. So, every cruise I have taken since then, I have brought aloe vera gel.

What are some of the things you haven't taken that you wish you had?

Libragirl
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Passenger

oh my gosh! i just got back from a cruise (RCI-enchantment) and lemme tell you, i have a list for you!
1)travel alarm clock! the ship does not provide you with one but they sell lots of (ugly!) watches for $10. i forgot we would be in the middle of the ocean with no reception on my cell phone, which i normally use as my clock!
2)wristwatch! it is really annoying not knowing what time it is all the time, especially if you want to go to a show or dinner or whatever. really, really inconvenient not to have one.
3)seasick pills! i didn't think i would need them, but trust me, you will need them! they give you free ones on the ship but i heard its better to take them BEFORE you get on the ship.
4)lysol spray (to spray down the pillows and blankets) disinfectant wipes (to wipe down the phone, remote control, door handles, etc. and extra sanitizing gel. trust me, it is not overdoing it, they make you take sanitizing gel before each meal and before getting on the ship. the key to not getting those viruses you always hear about on the news is to sanitize!
5)bottled water! everyone on this board said the water is so delicious and the ship has the best purification system but honestly, it tasted icky to me. i drank iced tea the whole time, i couldn't take the water.
6)room air freshener! the stateroom stinks and the bathroom really stinks! the spray is good for after #2, but you also need a solid air freshener, like a glade gel tube or tree car freshener - something! don't go without one!
7)rubber thongs for the shower! i bought my bamboo flip flops and they don't dry very quickly! the rubber ones dry almost instantly.
8)bring lots of magazines or a dvd player because although checking in the ship is a breeze, checking out, with customs and all, takes a long time! you will be bored!

there is a very good "cruise don't forget list" on the board somewhere. i followed most of it, but the ones i ignored i ended up regretting, as you can see! hee hee!
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Admiral

You can call in for a wake up call if you forgot your alarm. At least that can get you up in the morning. Some ships also have a TV channel in the room TV that shows current time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deccruise
oh my gosh! i just got back from a cruise (RCI-enchantment) and lemme tell you, i have a list for you!
1)travel alarm clock! the ship does not provide you with one but they sell lots of (ugly!) watches for $10. i forgot we would be in the middle of the ocean with no reception on my cell phone, which i normally use as my clock!
2)wristwatch! it is really annoying not knowing what time it is all the time, especially if you want to go to a show or dinner or whatever. really, really inconvenient not to have one.
3)seasick pills! i didn't think i would need them, but trust me, you will need them! they give you free ones on the ship but i heard its better to take them BEFORE you get on the ship.
4)lysol spray (to spray down the pillows and blankets) disinfectant wipes (to wipe down the phone, remote control, door handles, etc. and extra sanitizing gel. trust me, it is not overdoing it, they make you take sanitizing gel before each meal and before getting on the ship. the key to not getting those viruses you always hear about on the news is to sanitize!
5)bottled water! everyone on this board said the water is so delicious and the ship has the best purification system but honestly, it tasted icky to me. i drank iced tea the whole time, i couldn't take the water.
6)room air freshener! the stateroom stinks and the bathroom really stinks! the spray is good for after #2, but you also need a solid air freshener, like a glade gel tube or tree car freshener - something! don't go without one!
7)rubber thongs for the shower! i bought my bamboo flip flops and they don't dry very quickly! the rubber ones dry almost instantly.
8)bring lots of magazines or a dvd player because although checking in the ship is a breeze, checking out, with customs and all, takes a long time! you will be bored!

there is a very good "cruise don't forget list" on the board somewhere. i followed most of it, but the ones i ignored i ended up regretting, as you can see! hee hee!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Passenger

They sell bottled water on the ship.If you are going to pay for it and bring it why not buy from the ship?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deccruise

Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:56 PM
Captain

I asked this question on the Carnival site, also, and there are some very good suggestions. You might want to check it out.

Libragirl
Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Default Why Bring Your Own Bottled Water?

As some of you folks know, ships often have shipbuilding contests, where well-hydrated passengers build ships designed to ply the hot tubs with cargos of various libations.

To build a proper boat one must have quality materials so often the selection of the water bottle is more important than the water in the bottle. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHC318
They sell bottled water on the ship.If you are going to pay for it and bring it why not buy from the ship?
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Passenger

For dirty clothes, just leave your suite case open. Store it under the bed. Take all your dirty clothes and put them in there. It keeps the suit cases out of the way and doubles as a hamper.
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Don't forget
Binoculars
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Passenger

On our last cruise. I left my medicine in the car when we parked. My wife thought I got it and I thought I heard her say she had gotten it. It had fell on the floor and I didn't see it.

We got on the ship and were relaxing. On the Costa ships the frig is locked and I was waiting for the cabin steward to unlock the door to the refrigator. When he open the refrigator door I realized I didn't have my insulin. The ship was leaving port in less than 1 hour.

I ran off the ship and found a taxi which took me to the Fly and Park lot in Ft. Lauderdale. The people at the parking lot allowed the taxi to drive me to my car. I got my medicine and returned to the ship. I only had minutes to get back on the ship.

If there HADN'T been a taxi at the ship and if the people at the parking lot hadn't allowed the taxi on their lot to take me to my car, I would of had a nice 7 days in Ft. Lauderdale while my wife did a seven day crusie.

But I made it. This is the only time in 19 cruises I have done this.

Don
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Admiral

That is one of the first things that I double check going out the door - meds.

Passports, airline tickets, cruise docs, and $$$$.

Anything else, I can buy.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08