Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Beginner

Default Unobtrusive 2 way radio???

Has anyone seen a 2 way radio that works like a flip style phone? That would be a great way to not bother the other passengers with the radio. If anyone is aware of such a device please let me know. I've tried google and the results aren't quite what I've hoped for.
Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Admiral

I haven't seen anything quite like that but I'd bet it exists. You're right to look for something like that. I was waiting for an elevator aboard the "Mariner of the Seas" when a two way came to life with the following. "hello hot mamma,,,,stud muffin is calling". I've never heard so many people laughing so hard, or seen a lady so embaressed in my life. It was a riot!!!!

Ken
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Here is one and I bet there are more ....

http://reviews.cnet.com/Motorola_i56...?tag=pdtl-list

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Beginner

Default motorola i560

Looks like that phone might do it, thanks. I need to research it a little though. 1st off it could be a little expensive to buy if you're not using that phone carrier and only want it as a 2 way radio. 2nd question would be whether the sound comes out like its a speakerphone or if it will send the sound out through the earpiece if you prefer a little privacy to the conversation.
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Admiral

How about this?

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000G0MIO0

It is listed as a "kids" thing, but it will work.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:47 PM
Passenger

I have seen cobra walkie talkies that you can attach an ear peice. I am not sure if a two way radio and walkie talkies are one and the same.

If so, the styles that I have seen lately come with a five mile range and ranges to 17 miles. Does anyone see any problems with using them on the ship? I am planning on taking some on AOS.
Monarch of the Seas (RCCL) 3/01 -Southern Caribbean
Song of America (RCCL) 10/90 -Western Caribbean
MTS Jupiter (Epirotiki) 7/84 -Mediterranean
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by world_traveler_et
I have seen cobra walkie talkies that you can attach an ear peice. I am not sure if a two way radio and walkie talkies are one and the same.

If so, the styles that I have seen lately come with a five mile range and ranges to 17 miles. Does anyone see any problems with using them on the ship? I am planning on taking some on AOS.
They are a true nuisance!!
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:32 AM
Admiral

By all means take them. Especially if you are traveling with a group. It is a great way to keep in touch with your party. If you go ashore they can come in handy. On shore use low frequency channels. My wife and i take ours every time we cruise. When we cruise with our adult children and our grandchildren i give them all one and we (no matter where we are) keep in touch. Sometime we go in different directions. When DW and I cruise alone we still take them. Some people don't like them and that's ok, we still take them and we still talk on them. I have Midland 17 mile radios. Enjoy.
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Passenger

Thank you Seadog2. I agree they would come in handy. I regretted not bringing them on VOS. I had to make several trips back to the cabin in a matter of a few minutes because someone forgot something in the cabin. I did get my exercise.

It would have come in handy when I won two jack pots on the slot machine one night and felt uncomfortable walking back to my cabin alone at 1:30AM with $2200.

Were the midland 17 a 17 mile range? I have read in some other posts that some people say you can and can not use them on some of the island because they cause some interferance.

The style I like is the cobra modle they are same and you can attach an earpeice and they also viabrate.
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Yes, the Midlands are 17 mile range. Midland now have 18 mile range radios. It is true that on some islands ( I've heard) you cannot use them. I have also heard that if you modulate on the lower freq's that it will not interfere because police, fire and other emergency services operate on the higher bandwidths. I also have cobras. They both work well for us. The midlands have the earpiece and headset. I also got tired of running back and forth to the cabin, that's why I got the radios. I am still waiting to hit the jackpot though. Enjoy.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Passenger

I have seen two cobra sytle walkie talkies that I like. One is a cobra 12 mile range that has rechargeable batteries and can also operate on regular style batteries. $39.99 larger size.

The other model is a 17 mile range that comes with a lithium ion battery only. This stlye also has a vibrate mode. $59.99 smaller size.

Both styles come with an ear peice, hands free operation, and settings to change from high to low frequencies.

I am leaning towards the 17 mile range model but wonder if it would be better to have the option of using two sytle of batteries.

Any imput would be apprieciated.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:39 AM
Admiral

What is the life of the lithium? Is it rechargeable? My Midlands run off of 4AA batteries. My cobras will work off of 4 AAA batteries or 1 NIMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) rechargeable battery. They are both good.
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Passenger

Hi Seadog2,
They are rechargeable but I am not sure what the life is. My concern is if the batteries are discontinued and I can't find a replacement I would need two buy new 2 ways. Maybe the style that uses both rechargeables and regular batteries would be best.

This week I saw in the Best Buy ad that this model requires an FCC licsence. I will have to check on that requirement. Have any of your models required a licsence?

Thanks again!
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Admiral

world_travler_et, the best way would be to get the ones that run off both, that way you will not be caught without power. Yes my radios do require a license, but on the grounds that I might increminate myself I will say no more . Enjoy.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Passenger

Seadog2,

Still haven't left on my cruise.

I had another follow up question. I am now leaning toward the Midlands 16 mile range or the Motorola 10 mile range. Can you tell me if your Midlands have an on off button? I am not seeing a knob or anything without opening the package. I do see that the Motorolas have a knob to twist. Both have rechargeable batteries and can use standard batteries.
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Yes the Midlands have an on - off button. It is on the top of the radio. Looking at the radio with it facing you it is on the top left. The knob is next to the antenna.
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

For all of you that bring 2-way radios, I can assure you that you will get dirty looks from fellow passengers. Leave them at home!
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:36 PM
Admiral

unfortunatly some people have not yet learned that the world does not evolve around them. We use ours solely to keep in touch with oneanother. Those who play on the 2 ways are the one who get the dirty looks. If someone gives me a dirty look while i'm trying to locate a loved one just politely and point blank ask them if there is a problem. I don't knock people who don't use them and i don't expect to hasseled because I do. Cruise On!!
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Beginner

I suggest a site where you can get information about. So juts singe click

http://wize.com/2-way-radios/t74540-frs
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default 2 way radios

I use Motorolas Nextel i355 on direct talk (off network). They are on Nextel 900Mhz band, no license required. They look like you are on a cell phone. Very good range and penetration on that band, they are digital, no interference or monitor from a scanner, absolutely private conversation.
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtown View Post
For all of you that bring 2-way radios, I can assure you that you will get dirty looks from fellow passengers. Leave them at home!
I can't help but laugh at how much I couldn't care less about some crotchety old curmudgeon giving me a dirty look about my 2 way radio. I'm sure anyone capable of cell phone etiquette is capable of the same with a 2 way radio.

Carnival- Freedom- December 2008
Royal Caribbean- Navigator of the Seas- February 2011
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Familiar Face

I personally like the ability to contact my cruise partner(s) on a two way radio, rather than try to hunt them down or worry about where they are. Many times plans change and the radios have come in handy. But the more people that have them, the more congested the channels are. So, to each, his own.

Most FRS/GMRS radios now have channels that may also be used by local government services in foreign ports, as well as by Marine Port Services, and by some cruise line personnel. So please be courteous in your usage of these radios and be aware that other people can hear you talking, whether they are speaking on the channel or not. I used to have a pair of amateur radio band walkie talkies for private use as the wife and I are licensed ham radio operators, but we could not use them with non licensed cruise partners. The new inexpensive mororola walkie talkies are great, but I found that if you lend them to your friends or relatives, make sure you provide them a lanyard instead of a belt clip. One of my walkie talkies dropped off my sister in law's bag as she was getting off a tender in Santorini. It's now at the bottom of the port. Good thing I had spares.

RCI Radiance of the Seas - Sept 16 2011 - Hawaii
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Oct 08 2008 - Med/Greek Isles
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Sept 23 2007 E. Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy - January 15 2006 - Bahamas
Carnival Destiny - July 3 2005 S. Caribbean
RCI Adventure of the Seas - Oct 10 2004 E. Caribbean
RCI Navigator of the Seas - Nov 29 2003 W. Caribbean