Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Passenger

Default Serenade of the Seas brief report

We had a fantastic cruise on the Serenade! The ship is beautiful, so clean and pretty. This was our 6th time on a RCCL ship. The Spa is wonderful as well, do not pass on signing up for the Thermal Suite special and Rasul, well worth the money! (the heated beds are terrific!) We loved Portofino as well as Chops and ate at Chops two times. Lobster night in the main dining room was excellent, as was the service. Lobby bar fun, always lively with good music and libation, other bars just as lively. Solarium is the highlight (to me) of this ship, and they do enforce the no kids and no horseplay in there. Absolutely gorgeous. It was serene and beautiful. Very nice. If anyone has any specific questions, I will try to answer. Ports great, blessed with good weather. Would highly recommend this ship. My cabin was a little noisy every morning at 6 a.m.. We finally figured out it is the cleaning system that sprays the glass/windows down every day. You could hear the rollers going. We were aft, if that might have had something to do with it. Loved the cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Thank you for the review. I'm glad you had such a good time. Once you figured out what the noise was, were you able to sleep through it?
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Passenger

Actually, yes, I did condition myself to mostly sleep through it. It would awaken me, then I would go back to sleep. The sound was intermittent from 6 a.m. until around 9--at first I thought it was the Windjammer, but it wasn't. The ship was beautiful, and it would be difficult to not have a good time!
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:24 AM
Admiral

DW and I did the Serenade. You are absolutely correct she is a beautiful ship. She ranks up in the top 3 for us. We will sail on her again. That is a great review.
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi kittarwen,

We saw Serenade docked in San Juan the day before our cruise. Is that where you boarded her?

Jeff
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
Passenger

Yes, we boarded in San Juan on a Saturday. The ports were St. Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Antigua and Barbados. Just beautiful. That ship is something else.
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the great review!

What excursions did you go on and/or what did you choose to do at the ports if you didn't go on Cruise line excursions?

We are leaving Saturday for the same cruise! I can't wait!
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:01 PM
First Mate

We also love this ship and itinerary, in fact, so much that we have it booked again for this year!

mgwatson, I know you have left, but for others, we did all of our excursions with private operators and had a wonderful time on each. We also did snorkeling on our own at St. Thomas (St. John - gorgeous) and St. Maarten.

I recommend this ship and itinerary to everyone!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Passenger

Well, you should be in St. Maarten today! Sorry I missed your post. Write and let everyone know how the cruise was. We didn't do any excursions or even leave the ship in St. Thomas and St. Maarten (we have been to both 4 times on cruises), but, we did the Brig Unicorn pirate ship in St. Lucia and it was great. We also swam with the sea turtles in Barbados, both excursions through the cruise line. In Antigua we rented a cab for a day and went to Nelson's dockyard as the furthest point (really a cool place) and saw lots of other things around the island.
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM
First Mate

Default Serenade of the Seas Report

I'm so glad you had such a great time and enjoyed the ship. We are going for the first time on this ship in April. Can't wait.

Can you tell me how you found St. Lucia? I fell in love with that island several years ago, and that is why I want to go back.
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Serenade of the Seas Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyes
I'm so glad you had such a great time and enjoyed the ship. We are going for the first time on this ship in April. Can't wait.

Can you tell me how you found St. Lucia? I fell in love with that island several years ago, and that is why I want to go back.
Brneyes, we are sailing on the Serenade April 7. Are you sailing with us?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Old January 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Passenger

St. Lucia was absolutely beautiful!!! I can see why they call it the Bali Hai of the Southern Caribbean. It is so lush and beautiful, I wish we had more time to explore the island, but we will go back. It reminded us a lot of Hawaii. Just beautiful, lush, and green. The Pitons are breathtaking, and the captain will sail pretty close to them and turn the ship around in circles, so that everyone gets to see them. What a sight from our balcony for sailaway!We loved the cruise and can't believe it has only been about 5 weeks since we got back. Feel free to ask any questions, as my memory is still fresh.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
First Mate

Default Serenade of the Seas ship

Kittarwen, did you go to St. Lucia island? If so, was there any tours that you took that you enjoyed or anything like that?
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
First Mate

Sheffie, if you went to the island of St Lucia. What tours or if you did, did you take, or the name of tour operators there on that island? I'm interested in taking a plantation tour if anyone knows about any on that island.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Passenger

Hi,

We did the Brig Unicorn Pirate ship (one of the ones used in the movie Pirates of the Caribbean)--it was a lot of fun, and we got to see most of the west side of the island from the water. We stopped at a little island (I think it was called Pigeon Island or something like that) which had a fort and lots of trails. It was fun. The only downside is that we didn't do anything else that day to explore the island, but that was our fault! We were lazy and slept late and didn't leave the ship until it was time for the tour. But, the tour was well worth the money. The ship was cool.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Sheffie, if you went to the island of St Lucia. What tours or if you did, did you take, or the name of tour operators there on that island? I'm interested in taking a plantation tour if anyone knows about any on that island.
We toured with Frank. Others have loved Cosol. Our friends are going on a tour w/ Herod because he will take them to the beach between the Pitons. We have since found out that the others can take you there also.

I don't know what you mean about a plantation tour, but these operators will take you by banana plantations, to the drive-in volcano, to the walk in waterfall, and to a beach. PM me if you need more info!

Have fun planning!
Mark Twain

Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Loved the Serenade and St. Lucia. One very intererting fact about St. Lucia is that the whole island is a rain forest, that is why it is so lush and green. When we were on one of the tours, the guide told us that the annual rain fall there is about 200 inches per year. Since the island is shaped like a mountain most of it runs off into the ocean. The tropical atmosphere is just awsome. By the way, if you liked the Serenade OTS, you'll love the Radiance OTS. Enjoy.
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I love that ship! Had a great time on that ship back in 2005.
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:52 PM
First Mate

Default Serenade of the Seas

Sheffie, you mentioned about Frank or Cosol and tours. Who are they with? I need the names or websites to look up these people.
Old January 25th, 2007, 06:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Serenade of the Seas

Quote:
Sheffie, you mentioned about Frank or Cosol and tours. Who are they with? I need the names or websites to look up these people.
http://www.stluciafrank.com/

http://www.cosol-tours.com/

http://www.herodtours.com/

Here you go!
Mark Twain

Old January 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Admiral

I have done Frank's tour while visiting St. Lucia on a cruise and would highly recommend him. I have friends who have used Cosol and they said it was also very good. Bob
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:52 PM
First Mate

Default Tour agencies

Thank you Sheffie and raqtiki2005 for telling or recommending who I should check with in taking tours. I will email them and see what I can find out. Each day I am getting closer.
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to MariTenor1

Just off the Serenade last Saturday. We had a great time. The ship is beautiful and all the staff were very friendly.

We took a tour with Herod in St. Lucia and loved it. He was very informative and answered any questions we had about the island. Captain George took the ship to the Pitons when we left and did a 360 degree turn so everyone could enjoy the view.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Passenger

You all seem so nice on here, would love some help with some questions.

I didnt vacation last year found out dad was sick, he died in July, booked Mariner for 2-4, my dream aft cabin , months of reserarch excited, found out on 2-2 mom had to have quad by pass surgery immediately. So yesterday rebooked April with Serenade the Southern Itn. you guys have talked about . Really enjoyed reading the port excursions you have done

Not sure about cabin 7150, any info on it?
Refrigerators in cabins?
Since ship departs at 10pm can you check in ship then go off and tour San Juan? any suggestions to do for a short time there?
Are there people at the piers at the ports to get a last minute excursion? Too stressed to plan far ahead again.
Seaview cafe? Snack place right? Can you get food to go, say like 4 muffins to take back to the cabin for later?
Intense ports may be too much, i really want to plop with a book. any port near to ship have beach where hubs can snorkle and I can plop? Without ferrries long cab rides. little hassle

Any more ship or port info would be greatly greatly appreciated. I will soak it all up. Mom is coming home tomorrow and going to move in and take care of her for a while and her internet is toooooo slow to investigate much.

Sorry for the questions but would love to hear anything about ship or ports. Don't seem to be as much written about this ship as others.

Thank you soooo much
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM
First Mate

Frogfuzz, I am so sorry to hear about your dad, and hope your mom is doing fine.

Are you going on the April 7 cruise with us?

To answer your questions:

I would say that cabin 7150 is a good one. It is close to the stairs, and it has cabins above and the specialty restaurants below. We had the port side of the ship last time and really liked the view from our window. (I am sure you will love your balcony.)

Yes, there are refrigerators in the cabins, although they are more like "coolers" in that they don't get really cold.

Yes, you can check in and then check back out to do something in San Juan. I suggest a taxi ride up to El Morro, and then walk back down to the piers to grab a taxi back around to the Pan Am pier. I know that we eat dinner at our assigned times that first day, but you can eat off the ship if you want. I believe you have to be back onboard at 8 p.m. to do the muster drill.

There are people at the piers to give you excursions. I have a couple of suggestions if you would like them. Don't stress, though.

Since we do 2nd dinner, we loved the Seaview for a snack when we got back on the ship. It isn't always open, and I don't remember the evening hours. You can get food to go from there or the Windjammer.

There really isn't a nice CLOSE beach in St. Maarten, but Divi isn't too far. St. Thomas has a lot of beaches, but none near the pier. Sapphire is supposed to be beautiful with good snorkeling, and I don't think it is too far by taxi.

We went on excursions on the other islands, so I don't have an answer for you about them.

I have pictures in my photos that may be of some help.

I would be glad to give you more info if you want to e-mail me. My e-mail is whozier at aol.com. Just put something about cruising in the subject line.

Have you checked out cruisecritic dot com's boards? There is a ton of information there.

Take care.

Michelle
Mark Twain

Old February 12th, 2007, 04:14 PM
First Mate

Michelle, you mentioned about Herod taking you around in St Lucia. How do I go about getting info from him, in what types of tours, etc. and price he would be doing? Does he have a website or what?
Old February 12th, 2007, 04:17 PM
First Mate

Here is Herod's website: http://www.herodtours.com/ I don't know the price.
Mark Twain

Old February 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Passenger

Thanks Sheffie

We are going right after you on the 14th, so don't mess up the ship

I will definately look at your pix

We do 2nd seating too and that is why I asked about Seaview for a snack or a day snack instead of a meal

And if my mom wasn't enough now #1 son needs wisdom teeth out and wants to come home and have mommy take care of him. I may need lots of liquor on this trip to calm down from this year Serenity Now
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:46 PM
First Mate

Sheffie and kittarwen:

Thank you for posting Herod's email address. I just emailed him.

kittarwen, you mentioned if anyone had questions, you would try to answer.

I don't know if this was your first time in St. Lucia, but did you do anything in particular, or could you recommend anything? The reason I ask is it has been over 7 years since I went that direction, and I fell in LOVE with St. Lucia, and can't wait to get back.

If you or anyone can think of any other "hilights" of the Serenade, or St. Lucai, please advise.
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM
First Mate

Well it looks like us girls/ladies are not going to have the ship "all to ourselves" ....shucky, on the 14th of April, as I just discovered someone else is taking that cruise also. Oh well........the "MORE" the merrior is the way I see it.