Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HGeffen
Default Formal night

ahhh! Sorry for clogging up the message boards, but I keep thinking of more questions I have!

Okay, so Formal night.... what is it exactly? How is it different from the other nights? Do you just eat your dinner in a fancy dress, or is there more to it then that?
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Well, yea, kind of. There is a cocktail reception before dinner. The menu on those night tend to have the lobster and other "fancier" dishes.

That's about it.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Admiral

The line suggests that you remain in your "formal" attire for the remainder of the evening, but more and more people are dashing back to their cabin and slipping into something more comfortable right after dinner. I'm not saying that you should, or shouldn't do that, I'm just saying that if you do, you certainly won't be alone, as after all,,,you are on vacation.
The "cocktail party" before dinner is kind of nice, and if you haven't attended one of those before, you should make an extra effort to attend. You get to "meet" the senior officers and get free watered down drinks. It's a nice start of a very nice evening.
Have a great cruise.

Ken
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:29 PM
First Mate

Formal is formal. You can find dress recomendations in your cruise brochure. I found the two nights of formal are more than I like but most really enjoy the dress up. Rather than packing two formals I do a black fancy pant suit or black skirt and bring two dressy tops. I think that is why so many prefer to change after dinner knowing that they will be wearing the outfit a second time you want to keep it in good shape. It is a great time for a photo op. I have found the 10 day or longer they seem to dress more than the 7 days. My husband now just takes a dark suit on a 7 day and tux on longer cruise. Works for us.
Old January 18th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Yeoman

We usually only plan to participate on one formal night. It's not mandatory and you don't have to hide in your cabin if you don't dress up.

I'm one of those shorts & t-shirt kinda people but I won't enter the dining room unless I'm dressed for it. Love that buffet!!!!
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Also on formal night, there will be many opportunities for taking formal photos. There will be different backdrop to choose from. Be sure to allow enough time either before dinner or after to take advantage of this. You will not be obligated to purchase any of them, but the more you take, the more options you will have to choose from. *Smile*
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:55 AM
Passenger

On formal night, the majority of women will wear cocktail dresses/dress pants and top and the men will wear suits. However, with that said, I've seen everything including jeans with nice tops or sweaters and men in polo's and dockers. You won't get kicked out if you are not dressed to the nines so please do not feel you have to pass up the dining room menu on formal nights just because you are not in a dress or a tux. You can't wear shorts, ballcaps, bathing suits,and you must have shoes on and that's the rules posted outside of the dining rooms. Shorts are allowed for breakfast and lunch only but not for dinner in the dining room. RCCL has a suggested attire not a mandatory one so you will see some people that choose not to dress formal for formal night. If you like to dress up that's great but it's not mandatory and it's certainly not enforced by the crew. As RCCL does not enforce the suggested attire, it seems more people are moving away from the formal experience but that has happened on other cruiselines also. Many people enjoy the romance of the formal evening as it's a special occasion for a lot of people and its a bit like the going back in time to the days of the grand oceanliners when everything was much more formal than it is today. I usually wear a cocktail dress the first formal evening and then dress slacks and dress sweaters on the others and we do change into casual clothes after dinner. Lobster is usually not served on formal nights anymore but you can check the menu for each day on your tv in your cabin on one of the RCCL tv channels. You will find a guest book in your cabin with the listings of tv channels. You may also choose to order any item off the dining room menu for lunch and dinner during the hours it's being served to be delivered to your room by calling room service. The only item they do not deliver sometimes is the lobster but some people have had it delivered so if its something you want to do, just ask. Formal night is a great opportunity to have your pictures taken outside of the dining room and the photo's are quite reasonable for the quality. You can also choose the Windjammer, Johnny Rockets, or specialty eaterys, 24/7 room service and that's what is nice about RCCL is that you do have several options. The rest of the nights in the dining room are casual. Smart casual seems to have disappeared off the Compasses and it just states casual attire. They usually also have a theme to the night like casual or western wear, or Caribbean wear. I haven't seen a lot of people dress to the themes but some will as they enjoy it. Have a great cruise!
Explorer 10/07 B
Explorer 12/07
Explorer 1/08
Explorer 4/08