Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Passenger

Default Baltic cruise currency

I'm off to the Baltics in the summer. What currency do they accept? Will I have to get different currencies for the 7 different countries that I am planning to visit?
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Admiral

It depends on the country. What countries are you going to?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Daisy wrote she will cruise the Baltics. That means UK (GBP), Norway (NOK), Denmark (DKK), Sweden (SEK), Finland (EUR), Russia (RUB) and Estonia (EEK).
However, travellers chegues in USD will do in all countries.
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Daisy wrote she will cruise the Baltics. That means UK (GBP), Norway (NOK), Denmark (DKK), Sweden (SEK), Finland (EUR), Russia (RUB) and Estonia (EEK).
However, travellers chegues in USD will do in all countries.
What about this?

11 Night Scandinavia & Baltics Cruise

Ports of Call: Southhampton, England; Gdansk (Gdynia), Poland; Stockholm, Sweden; Helsinki, Finland; Tallinn, Estonia; Copenhagen, Denmark; Oslo, Norway; Southhampton, England

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Right IS,

If she sails the NV and not JW, it will be Poland (PLN) instead of Russia.
But still USD is the best choice.
Old January 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Admiral

It depends on what you are going to do. If you explore on your own, I have yet to find a taxi, bus, tram or train that takes travellers cheques in USD.

The tiny shops almost never take them.

Also, if you do find a store that will take them, the exchange rate won't be very good. Might as well use your AMEX card.

I always bring local currency. The amount depends on what we are doing.

Old January 16th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Baltic cruise currency

Daisy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I'm off to the Baltics in the summer. What currency do they accept? Will I have to get different currencies for the 7 different countries that I am planning to visit?
Most European vendors accept MasterCard and Visa for purchases larger than twenty Euros (about $25 right now), but you generally will need local currency for smaller purchases and for transportation. Fortunately, currency exchanges are pretty readily available in European cities. In the past, I have found that the easist approach seems to be to convert perhaps a couple hundred U. S. dollars into the currency of the first country that I'm visiting. When I leave each country for the last time, I roll whatever I have left in each country's currency into the currency of the next country, augmenting with more "greenbacks" as necessary.

Norm.
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Baltic cruise currency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
I have found that the easist approach seems to be to convert perhaps a couple hundred U. S. dollars into the currency of the first country that I'm visiting. When I leave each country for the last time, I roll whatever I have left in each country's currency into the currency of the next country, augmenting with more "greenbacks" as necessary.
I like that idea. I need Chile and Argentina Pesos. I was going to buy some of each. Now with that suggestion, I might just get a wad of Chile Pesos and change them on the ATM on the ship for the Argentina ones.

Old January 16th, 2007, 09:52 PM
First Mate

We did this cruise last summer. You do have to exchange money for a few countries but the ship will let you know what to do. You can exchange it right on the ship. Depending on what excursions you do in each country they will make recommendations. A lot of countries use the Euro and some will take the dollar. Just be careful in St. Petersburg, there is a lot of fake dollars going around. They will recommend to spend the ones you receive while you are still in port just in case the are counterfeit.
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I never buy any currency in advance of my trip. I typically just hit one of the ATM's in my arriving airport and after departing from the ship in a port if I need more. The total cost of the transaction is competitive with any retail exchange rate and a whole lot easier.

For the Baltic trip Euros and credit cards work for many things including buying tickets on the various Tourist Buses that run in most if not all the citiies you are visiting.

I think it is a waste to keep converting money for a 6 hour visit when you can mostly get by with Euros - preferred by over the Ruble in Russia. Same in Estonia and Poland.

Bottom line, you only need Euros, Pounds, and a credit card for this this trip. Get rid of your remaining money in duty free on the way home and you'll never have to visit a single money exchange window on the whole trip!