Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Passenger

Default 1st time cruising...1st post on the boards

Hi,

I'm new to this board, and my husband and I will be experiencing our first cruise on Freedom of the Seas in October...October 14, to be exact. My biggest concerns...sea sickness and hurricanes. Any advice, suggestions, assurance???!!!

I've been reading some of the info on the boards, and it's really been so helpful! Thanks!!!

Paula
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Paula..

WELCOME TO CRUISEMATES!!

I wouldn't worry too much about your early concerns.

Ships move faster than hurricanes, and their forecasting equipment is very good. Your itinerary could change if there's a hurricane in the area, and you should be prepared to accept that happening, but otherwise you'll be kept very safe.

As for seasickness, I don't think it's a big issue, but you may want to pick up some Bonine at a drug store to take with you. Inexpensive insurance to have if you have a problem.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Captain

Default Seasickness.

If you're going to be on the Freedom OTS, it's going to be like sitting in your living room. You won't know you're on the water unless you look out the windows.

Having said that, if the wind picks up a little, you may feel the occasional "bump". Don't worry about getting seasick. If you think about it too much, you will get sick (physosomatic).
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. I had hoped my sea sickness issue with be a non-issue. Hearing so many good things about Freedom and the ports we'll be visiting.

Thanks, again!

Paula
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Paula, welcome to CruiseMates!

I know you are excited about your upcoming cruise. Think of all the questions you can and put them out here. There is a wealth of knowledge and it is gladly shared. Regardless of how many times a question may have been asked, we there are many people here ready to help.

The anticipation is wonderful!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Hello Rx819. Welcome to the club. Cruisemates is a wonderful site. No doubt you will get your questions answered here. As for sea sickness or motion sickness, Kuki is right Bonine is good. My wife does not get sea sick she gets air sick. She also uses antivert. I have not been able to figure that one out yet. How she get air sick but not sea sick. We were on a cruise when hurricane Charlie hit. The Captain steared us around it and all was safe. Passenger safety is first. Congrats on choosing the Freedom. She is a great ship. Have a great cruise. Enjoy.
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello Paula and again, welcome to CruiseMates! You have landed on a great site for answers to all your cruising questions.

I cruised on Freedom last September, and to be honest with you, I had to look out at the ocean to remind myself that I was on a ship! Only once during the whole cruise did the ship pitch slightly. The rest of the time it was rock solid. I too have been known in the past to need something for seasickness. (I'm totally over it now after 15 cruises.)

Another OTC med for the prevention and treatment of motion sickness is Meclizine. It works wonders at the first sign of motion sickness. As for hurricanes, you'll never read about a cruise ship being impacted by one. Hurricanes are very slow moving, and any Captain will keep his ship far away from one. As Kuki said, your itinerary may be altered a bit to avoid rough waters. By October though, you're at the tail end of hurricane season anyway. So no worries, plan for a great cruise. Steve
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:38 AM
Passenger

I agree with some of the other posts and I would take Bonine with you just in case. I left in a coastal storm in Oct. out of Bayonne and we had 26ft high seas and 65MPH winds and I was fine. I had taken a Bonine a couple of hours before I boarded just in case! Have a wonderful cruise and the ship is so amazing, you won't have time to worry about getting sick!
Explorer 10/07 B
Explorer 12/07
Explorer 1/08
Explorer 4/08