Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Passenger

Default Corkage Fee

We leave on the Mariner February 4th and when we cruise we like to get one of the wine packages (usually the 5 bottle - I believe gold?) but also this time would like to bring two bottles of wines that we really enjoy on with us to have in addition to the 5 we have with the package.

Can we bring one of these bottles to dinner with us and pay a corkage fee?

Thanks for any help!

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, you can - I believe the corkage fee is still $15. We usually bring a bottle or two to enjoy in the room and purchase wine at dinner, but last year, we had an extra bottle and brought it to dinner the last night. Our waiter chose not to charge us (it was tip night, so we slipped an extra $10 into his envelope).
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Admiral

On some cruiselines if the wine brought to the dining room is from their
normal stock , they may waive the corkage fee. Normally wine bought
in a package dewlivered on board is from the ship's stock.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM
First Mate

thought you couldn't bring your own wine anymore
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffymom
thought you couldn't bring your own wine anymore
That was my thought as well. While I know that many people continue to bring alcohol on board, it seems contradictory to acknowledge this by the cruise line and permit it to be opened in the dining room. Any clarification?
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Can I bring my own liquor, beer or wine onboard?

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...SC:10ktmf1jr#1

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 28th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerif
Yes, you can - I believe the corkage fee is still $15. We usually bring a bottle or two to enjoy in the room and purchase wine at dinner, but last year, we had an extra bottle and brought it to dinner the last night. Our waiter chose not to charge us (it was tip night, so we slipped an extra $10 into his envelope).
I guess this worked because it was the last night of the cruise and all of held alcohol was distributed to the passengers.
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

"I guess this worked because it was the last night of the cruise and all of held alcohol was distributed to the passengers."

No, wine is different - you get no "deal" when you buy wine on board like with other liquor (which is why we often bring our own), so they do not hold it. When you do buy a whole bottle (e.g., in the dining room), you are free to take the bottle back to your room if you want - you can also have a bottle delivered from room service. Of course, unlike the liquor you buy in the shops, you are paying a huge (300%+) mark-up for wine.

We don't drink much "hard" stuff (I buy flavored rum onboard to use in my rum cakes at home), so we've always packed a couple of bottles of wine in a checked bag along with water and diet Pepsi to have in our room. On our last cruise (in Sept.) I saw on the lists that they were cracking down on this so opted not to bring any. When we got to our cabin, DH pulled a bottle out of his carry-on to enjoy on our balcony with a cheese tray ordered from room service. Guess they weren't cracking down very hard.
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Passenger

RCCL's rule is no alcohol at all can be brought on board when embarking and it does include beer and wine also. You may purchase alcohol on the ship or in ports and it will be held for you on the last night of the cruise. They started really cracking down in late JUly 2006. With that said, reports of peopele smuggling alcohol in checked luggage has seemed to be successful for the most part. On another cruise forum recently a man brought a bottle of wine he brought on board the ship and gave it to his waiter to serve at diiner. The man was expecting to pay the corkage fee however the waiter returned and told the man the wine could not be served to him as it was not purchased on the ship and RCCL did not stock that kind of wine so they knew he brought it onboard. The wine was held for him until end of his cruise. Other people have pulled it off. It varies from port to port on how strict they are it seems and ship to ship also. The no alcohol at all rule applies to all ships but it has been done. Hard to know the correct answer but given the stated rule, do so at your own risk.
Explorer 10/07 B
Explorer 12/07
Explorer 1/08
Explorer 4/08
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

What is interesting is that RCI's sister line Celebrity allows guests to bring a couple of bottles on board as part of their stated policy.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:17 AM
Passenger

I know! It doesn't make sense does it as it's the same company?
Explorer 10/07 B
Explorer 12/07
Explorer 1/08
Explorer 4/08
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:26 AM
Beginner

As most seem to know, RCI has a relatively new policy where you are no longer permitted to bring ANY sort of alcoholic bevs on board. In the past, they allowed wine, and charged you a $12 corkage fee. My feeling is that this all changed after an incident onboard one of their ships. A "honeymooner"ended up lost at sea, and the investigation uncovered the fact that alcohol that was brought onboard may have played a part in this mysterious disappearance. Since then, I've noticed that securtiy has been tightened, and some new rules were put in place, especially relating to the cruise lines policy on alcohol.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
Passenger

I guess this is one of those issues where there is no clear answer - the policy is clear but it also seems it is rarely enforced.

2 better questions which I will ask the board are,

has anyone in the last 6-months tried to bring 1 or 2 bottles of wine on board and had them confiscated until the end of the cruise?

has anyone in the past 6-months successfully brought 1 or 2 bottles of wine on board?

Again, I just would like to celebrate with a special bottle of wine in addition to the 5 bottle package I will purchase through RCI. If they wont allow it at dinner I dont mind enjoying it on the balcony of the room with my girlfriend.

THanks again!
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Beginner

To answer your question, we were just on board for Christmas, and they confiscated a few bottles of wine from the couple who were immediately in front of us as their carry on bags went through the screening process. (I'm sure they got them back at the end of the cruise.)

As for fine wines, the wine lists posted on these boards is not all inclusive. In fact, they have a riserva list on board, and in Chops and Portofino, where we had dinner every night except for the first night, each of the two restaurants had their own wine lists, which had a wonderful selection of wines, many "Grand Cru" class. We drank many fine wines, including a Bertani Amarone (1998) that went for just under $100 which is a good price for an excellent wine, and there were many other fine wines in the $50 to $100 price range, on both restaurant lists and some on the riserva list from the main dining room.

Hope this answers your question.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Passenger

Now the wine package deals is a different story. Those you should be able to have in the dining room ok. If you go to the RCCL website and look up top and click on gifts and gears and then click onboard gifts, you'll see wine packages but at bottom of the screen there is a little box and find wine cellar and click on it. It's a pretty extensive list of wines you can purchase from RCCL. Maybe something there you would like! I have heard of people having alcohol taken out of carry ons and some when found in checked luggage and they call you down to luggage area and then make you hump your luggage yourself to your room minus the booze! Others get away with it all the time! Hard to say. I do not smuggle it as I'm a coke drinker! Sorry!
Explorer 10/07 B
Explorer 12/07
Explorer 1/08
Explorer 4/08