Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Beginner

Default Dunn's River Falls

Our family of three adults and three teens will be cruising in June and stopping at Ocho Rios. We'd really like to do Dunn's River Falls and possibly river tubing, but there is not a ship excursion that combines the two. I've heard that since all of the excursions end up at the falls, it's very crowded in the afternoon and much better in the morning. My question is, is this something we could do on our own? Jamaica has a scary reputation, but if we could climb the falls early and save some money it would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Admiral

I suggest you book your Dunns river falls tour thru the cruise line. It is much safer. Also since all the tours do end up there the lines are long ,but they move fairly quickly. The good thing about it is that while you're waiting to climb the falls you are in the water the whole time. The guides make sure that the lines keep moving. It is pretty much up to you when you want to climb, morning or afternoon. Enjoy
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Beginner

My husband and I wanted to do the same but didn't book it thru any "excursion" companies. We just got off the ship and booked it thru a company at the port, sorry...cannot remember the name but there are many and ready for you! It was safe, convenient and much cheaper! Only warning is that the falls can be a challenge if you are physically up to it. The water can be very strong but it is well worth the trip.

Hope this helps...have fun!
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Admiral

There are some problems that you might encounter booking thru 2nd parties. If you book thru a 2nd party and they don't return you to the ship when it's time to leave, the ship WILL leave without you. It will be up to you (expense wise) to catch up to the ship. If you book thru the cruise line and you are not returned on time the ship will wait until your arrival.
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would definitely book this through the ship. I would also book as early in the day as possible to try to beat the biggest crowds. We have done this twice. The first time was on a yacht that picked us up at the ship pier. It included fresh fruit and drinks, and we were literally the first ones to arrive at the beach at the bottom of the falls. This is where all tours start. It was wonderful and very nice not having to fight the crowds.

The second time was a less expensive tour dropping us off by bus at the falls in the early afternoon. It was packed, and not nearly as enjoyable. We ended up assisting several people who lacked the physical strength or stamina to move up the falls safely. It was still okay, but a lot more work, and we felt like we were the tour guides, not taking the tour. The guides were no where in sight.

My suggestion is book the early tour through the ship. It's well worth it. Have a great time. Steve
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dunn's River Falls

Famof6,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Our family of three adults and three teens will be cruising in June and stopping at Ocho Rios. We'd really like to do Dunn's River Falls and possibly river tubing, but there is not a ship excursion that combines the two. I've heard that since all of the excursions end up at the falls, it's very crowded in the afternoon and much better in the morning. My question is, is this something we could do on our own? Jamaica has a scary reputation, but if we could climb the falls early and save some money it would be nice.
Trust me -- do the tour of "Prospect Plantation & Dunn's River Falls." Prospect Plantation is quite fascinating. It occupies a whole mountain, with many climate zones that support an incredible variety of crops. To put this into perspective, Jamaica's famous Blue Ridge is about 6,300 feet above sea level -- which is higher than the peak of New Hampshire's Mount Washington. I don't want to blow the surprise, so I'll just say that they do some really cool demonstrations during the tour, too!

Norm.
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Beginner

Two years ago we visited Ocho Rios on the VOS and we did both the Dunn's River Falls,river tubing, and a tour of the island with a delightful fellows named Phill Layfette. It was fun ,safe and very afforable for my party of 4. Do a search for Phil Lafayette's web site,
have a good time cruising
Old February 15th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Captain

omgosh also make sure your "sure" footed before you do the falls, its walking up the falls tethered to each other, or holding hands..one falls its like domino's...

unfortunatly i know from experience ...

i ended up just hanging out in one of the pools nursing a sprained ankle. It was still fun tho, and beautiful. I have no idea how tom cruise and elizabeth shue (topless at that) swam in there tho without thier teeth chattering...its FREEZING water
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
First Mate

Default Dunn's River Falls

I just want to put my 2 cents worth in

We went to Dunn's River Falls in April, and of course it was awesome. We did not climb the falls, but I do want to make this suggestion. Be very carefull The reason I say this is two people who were at our table got hurt, and one was really in bad shape after she got home. One of the girls almost broke her middle finger, and the other girl stubbed her big toe, and had to take IV's when she got back home for 3 months, to get it to heal up. As I said before...........be very careful when climbing, it can be very rough in places.
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Passenger

My boyfriend and I were on the Mariner in June and booked our excursion of the falls through the ship. We went to the botanical gardens (?) first and then went to the falls -- this was great b/c it was SWELTERING at the gardens and quite refreshing at the falls. It is an adventure and very crowded, to say the least. One of the couples that we ate dinner with did it on their own, and had no trouble. If we did it again, though, we would still do it through the ship.
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Admiral

if you are going to book independant i would highly recommend using Peat Taylor- he will tailor the excursion to what you want to do. Very reputable. Do a search under his name
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:15 PM
First Mate

LisaK, thanks for the Peat Taylor info. I just contacted him by email. I am wanting to take some tours of St. Lucia, and he or his company may be the one.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Beginner

Hi check out this web site.

We are leaving Oct. 7th on the Mariner and plan on taking one of these tours. Other threads on other boards spoke highly of Mark.

http://markstours.com/tours.html

Have fun in Ochos Rios!!
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Admiral

We did both tours. Ditto most of the posts on Dunn River Falls. Be careful of your footing and remember - you will get wet! I did not waterproof my wallet (dumb !). The river tubing was also awesome. Again be careful - one of our group dislocated a shoulder on this trip. They take great action shots which you can purchase at the end of the trip. You go up into the mountains and move through modified rapids (not like whitewater though), they are easily negotiated with help from the staff that watch out for you. They even gave us a "Red Stripe" beer break halfway down. Enjoy !